Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec 10 - Dec 16

BillBlueEyes
12-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Celebrating today because I skipped some cookies and some candy offered at a Christmas Arts Fair. That FREE stuff has been known to get me time after time. The cookies weren't even homemade.

We bought our Christmas tree yesterday; it sits in a bucket of water in the back yard until next week. We have a mixed marriage: I believe that a tree should be tall enough to be bent by the ceiling; DW believes that six feet is enough tree so that she doesn't need a step ladder to decorate. Marriage counseling didn't spot this one - we've had to compromise every year for 37 years, LOL.

Mudpie
12-10-2012, 05:24 AM
:bravo: Bill for skipping the free stuff. There's so much of it around it can be quite overwhelming.

DH and I are also split on tree size but in the opposite way. I want the biggest bushiest tree on the lot :love: and DH always picks the modest one that will actually fit into our small bungalow's living/dining area. We have to remove the one chair with even a small tree but the smell and sight of the glowing tree more than makes up for the 2 weeks of slight inconvenience it causes. :tree:

This week is going to be "Dogpocalypse" week for me. So busy it's :crazy:. But bringing in some much needed $$$ to pay off all sorts of insurance that's all coming due in January. :D

Good week all!

Dagmar :coolsnow:

bargoo
12-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Bill, how is the broken leg coming along ?

paperclippy
12-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Good morning folks! :han: :dreidel: Happy Hannukah to those who are celebrating this week!

This morning when DH went to put our Netflix in the mailbox he found a box of cookies in there left by our realtor. I wonder when she came by? Last night I guess. I put one into my lunch box and DH took one and we put the rest in the house for later.

I have been so lazy about my holiday shopping. I haven't been getting out much and going shopping seemed like a big pain in the you-know-what, so I decided yesterday to just do my shopping online instead. I found some good stuff for my sister and sis-in-law (cookbooks), but I am struggling with what to get for DH and for my dad. They both say there is nothing they want or need, and they both don't really have any easy to buy for hobbies.

Hey Dagmar, I have a dogsitter question for you. Our dog sitter like to give Carter small treats when she comes to take him for midday walks, I assume as part of the effort to buy his goodwill with food (it's a pretty effective method for Carter). Last time she did a long overnight sit with him, he had diarrhea. I suspect it was because she had fed him some treats that he wasn't used to and that combined with him being stressed by our absence and thunderstorms, but when I asked if she'd fed him anything other than dog food she said no. OTOH when I looked over the notes she left us, she had noted giving him treats. :?: How can I make it clear to her that she needs to not feed him anything other than his dog food next time we're on vacation so that he won't have any digestive issues?

ICUwishing
12-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Well done with the cookies, Bill! Our tree is a bit bigger than prior years'; we've had to use a stepladder for the first time. The bunnies have been thrilled - they have been busily trimming the lowest branches and jingling the little bells sewn into the tree skirt.

dagmar, good luck with your crazy week!

Should be dry and cold this week, which would mean some progress with the siding. The materials are all on site and the color looks great. I've only had to make one semi-cranky phone call so far, to which they responded very quickly - somebody had removed the protective covering from one pallet, and then failed to put it back on for our rainy/snowy weekend. Having actually read the manufacturer's installation manual (yes, I really did), I spotted the oversight. My interpretation of "limited exposure to moisture prior to installation" means "cover that stuff". I got some trivial pushback about it being primed on the backside, but then I mentioned the photos I took, and questioned how the manufacturer would interpret them with regard to future warranty claims. End of story - someone made a quick trip down with extra tarps for all of the pallets within the hour. Good thing, too - a few of them have several inches of standing water on them as of this morning!

More choir chaos to get through in the next 7 days, and then a blissful 3 week break. :)

alinnell
12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Jessica~if your dog sitter insists on giving Carter treats, buy some for her to give him that you've tested so you know he won't get the runs. Or if you prefer him to not have treats, suggest to her that she "treat" him with his kibble. There are some treats out there that are mass produced by companies we think are good yet are making our dogs sick because they've imported stuff from China (the worst being chicken jerky).

Oh, Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree. Wherefore are thou Christmas tree? We haven't had one up for two years and this is now year three! I'm kind of relieved, but sad at the same time. I did get some various decorations up though.

My kitties are sick. Neither is eating, yet they're both sitting behind me asking for a treat. Both had soft stools this morning, too. I hope they're better tonight.

Mudpie
12-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Jessica~if your dog sitter insists on giving Carter treats, buy some for her to give him that you've tested so you know he won't get the runs. Or if you prefer him to not have treats, suggest to her that she "treat" him with his kibble. There are some treats out there that are mass produced by companies we think are good yet are making our dogs sick because they've imported stuff from China (the worst being chicken jerky).

Allison is right on the money with this Jessica. I have 2 dogs with stomach issues so I carry special bags of treats for them. I don't give anyone kibble as a treat because they know it's not a treat. Not that they won't eat it but sometimes you need something very special (like when the big dead fish beckons) to get the dogs to do what you want. Kibble doesn't cut it!

saef
12-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm coping with all kinds of demands to relax my rigidity regarding exercise sessions & food choices this week: A new trainee who'll need lots of attention, including my going to the office a day earlier than usual, and some holiday gatherings, one at a restaurant, one at my gym and another at the office, with a cookie exchange/pizza party/a.k.a. "carb spree."

Also, on a more serious note, my apartment complex and its lawyer is appearing before the city zoning board, requesting a variance to raise our wall higher than four feet to mitigate future flooding risks. We are going to wall off much of the complex, at least the part that slopes & is vulnerable to being flooded from overspill on the highway.

We've been told that many neighborhood associations and complexes near us are opposed to our flood wall.

Also, the politicians are starting to push for a "more global approach." ("Global" amuses me: We're talking about adjacent neighborhoods, not Pakistan, China, Argentina and the U.S.) That is, of course, code for: "Why can't you delay action indefinitely on your wall, because so many of our voters are upset about it, then all sit down & collaborate (talk endlessly) on a solution for three or four years, and then end up doing nothing at all?"

Meanwhile, I want a wall up, like, yesterday. Every time it rains all day & all night, I am looking at water levels. And I can't believe that there are people who would actually want me to stoically accept this situation and just hope & pray that the weather spares us in the coming year, without taking concrete action to defend myself.

Look, no one in my complex can simply move out, not without taking a tremendous loss: The flood and fears of hurricanes to come have decimated our property values.

The zoning board meeting is next Tuesday night. Which will, of course, conflict with my great Tuesday night spin class. But my rigidity ends there: I need to show up as part of a mighty force at that meeting. Still, I will say nothing, because we'll have designated spokesmen, so we don't look like an unruly mob.

paperclippy
12-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I will leave her a note telling her that if she wants to feed him treats she should use the green beans in our freezer. Carter gets more excited about frozen green beans than he does about most dog treats anyway. (And yeah, kibble doesn't work as a treat for him unless it's been mixed with a bunch of hot dogs.)

Saef, definitely go to the zoning meeting. It seems to me that a heartfelt appeal talking about how much you lost would be pretty effective against people who are like "OH NO A WALL."

BillBlueEyes
12-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Just got reminded this morning that I'm continuing to ignore some baklava sitting on the kitchen counter, up for grabs. That kind of dangling low hanging fruit calls my name. Hoping visiting DS will scarf it down soon.

saef - Is the issue that your wall will divert the water onto their property? Or even that sealing your property removes the basin that protects theirs?

bargoo - Thanks for asking. My broken leg is almost six weeks into healing splendidly. It won't require surgery, pins, or any intervention. My major problem is to acquire patience for wearing this cast for the last stretch (from one to three weeks remaining). Do you know the secret to learning patience? It eludes me.

bargoo
12-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Bill, no I haven't learned patience, "I want it and I want it NOW ,"The baklava wouldn't stand a chance in my house therefore it is not allowed in my house.

Mudpie
12-11-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm dogsitting until Friday with no internet access. I think, with the new income from the 2 new clients I picked up, I will have to invest in a tablet w/keyboard and add wireless access to my phone stuff. More and more clients are not allowing the use of their computers. I understand why but it's frustrating to have to pay for something every month that I only use 5-6 times per year.

But I have to be in contact with people. And come here for support when I want to go off plan. So the tablet makes sense to me. As does the unlimited wifi. Most people have no idea how to let me access theirs.

Dogpocalypse Day begins! :eek:

Dagmar ::cool:

alinnell
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM
So I sampled the egg nog last night. I bought a small carton at Trader Joe's last Saturday and added a little rum to it. It wasn't as pleasant as I had hoped. I know in the past it's been really, really good, but this was rather bland. I'm probably not going to have any more. I'll keep it in case someone else wants a sample, but my "craving" is satisfied.

Dagmar, I'd think a smart phone would be sufficient for your needs. You can do everything (surf the web, check email, make calls, play games, etc.) without the added expense of the additional hardware.

Glad you're healing, Bill. I have patience, but I doubt I'd have patience for that sort of thing. Can't explain how to get it, either.

traveling michele
12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Good Tuesday morning all.
I missed checking in yesterday because I got a surprise visit from one of my oldest and dearest friends on Sunday. Her dh had a job in Sacramento and was driving down from Oregon so she tagged along. He dropped her at our house and then I dragged her to work with me yesterday. After work, we got pedicures and went for sushi. I hadn't seen her in several years so it was great to catch up. I had to quiet the demonic voice yelling at me that I was missing my workout yesterday but I figure it was more important to catch up with her. I did drag her out on a big walk Sunday with Dewey to a yogurt place. She lives in the country and has never been to a fro yo place where you serve yourself! She loved it!

In other exciting news, my dd's service dog arrived last night to start team training (with her in Washington). So, exciting couple of days. They'll have team training for about 12 days. She posted a few pictures of getting to meet him, and he was showering her with kisses. He looks to be the sweetest dog ever.

Dagmar-- I second the smart phone. I do everything on mine-- a little too much perhaps!!

EZMONEY
12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Bill, Angie has weighed between 120-125 the 17 years we have been together, no more no less....she is a very responsible eater....but I gotta say if baklava comes into her sight or our home there is only one word.....

GONE!

EZMONEY
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
My grandfather used to say "Patience is our most important product"....

Took me years to "get" it....the understanding that is...

Not the patience! Lol

saef
12-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Gary's back! So good to see you posting here again.

Michele, yes, you made the right decision to skip your workout & spend time with your friend. Tell that nagging voice to pipe down. I was subjected to my nagging voice on Saturday, because I missed spin and Pilates mat to attend my very important co-op board meeting. But I haven't turned to a bowl of Jell-o or failed to attend a workout since, so it looks like it's okay to give ourselves permission to live a fully rounded life if that means missing out on an occasional workout. We aren't slackers looking to be allowed to slack off. We're pretty driven & compulsive people trying to ease up on ourselves.

Bill, the issue with the neighborhood associations is partly fear & ignorance -- they are located upstream from us, and our engineer who planned the wall has assured us that our deflecting the water would NOT cause it to flow backward upstream and flood out those directly to the north. I suspect they fear a damming effect. But the wall would only be along one side of the water, along the state's own insufficient four-foot floodwall. And so far as I understand it, that does not constitute a dam. Yes, maybe they see a loss of a kind of catch basin.

I suspect the Zoning Board will get nervous and remand the wall for further study, which means further delay. And God knows what kind of weather will hit during the delay. But I will try to attend the meeting with an open mind. It's very simple for me: I don't want to go through another flood again. I want some peace of mind when the weather is bad.

I agree that there needs to be some larger solution, but that should be in addition to our wall. Ideally, some solution that would make our wall redundant and unnecessary.

bargoo
12-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Went to ToysRUs latte yesterday afternoon after getting out of my IV session. I want to get my almost 9 month old GD a walker. I did find one I liked and the clerk had to search the stockroom to find it, the one he brought was in a box that was badly smashed up, I first thought I would take a chance on it but as we walked to the checkout I just didn't feel comfortable wiht it and asked a different clerk if they had one that was not so smashed up, he went back to the stockroom and came out with one that was only slightly better, same song, second verse, started to the check out and backed out so left it there. Chances are the insides are intact but I am not going to be opening it up and putting it together so didn't want to chance that it might be damaged. The clerks wery very nice and helpful and busy but it just made me a little nervous , so I have no gift for baby Faith. The plan now is my DIL (Faith's aunt) is going to look for one at another ToysRUS, if she is not successful I am going to check out Target. If we don't find one then I am on to Plan B......as soon as I have one, that is.

traveling michele
12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Bargoo-- I order EVERYTHING on Amazon (just about). You might check there for your gift for baby Faith. They ship quickly and their prices are often better.

ICUwishing
12-12-2012, 10:13 AM
The siding is going up! I'm hoping to get home during the daylight hours today so that I can see how it looks. :) I still haven't started my Christmas shopping, but managed to winnow the foot-high stack of catalogs down to the chosen 10. Tree is up, house is decorated. I'm declaring a no-go for cards, nor will there be any specialized baking.

Bargoo, ditto Michele's comment. I've also had very good luck with ordering things online for local pickup from places like Home Depot and Target - that way, no shipping!

bargoo
12-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the idea, Michele and Becky, will look at Amazon today.

Shannon in ATL
12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Third the Amazon recommendation for the walker, Bargoo. I have ordered tons of things from them with no trouble, and it comes straight to my house.

bargoo
12-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok, you've got me convinced, Amazon , get ready I am on my way.

alinnell
12-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Amazon is my best friend.

DH saw a watch he wanted. $100. Amazon? $59. Exact same watch.

Megan1982
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Morning all,

Is it still morning? My body is exhausted and confused from a day of travel from the west coast yesterday. We got home late last night from our week in San Diego. We had a great vacation, but is good to be home. Our nice neighbor also volunteered to pick the dog up yesterday afternoon so she was home last night to greet us. Fur babies make the best greeting parties! I managed to ignore all the other stressors while I was gone (work, Christmas shopping) and I can't ignore them any longer! I'm going to try and get myself together tonight to order things online and make shipping deadlines without extra shipping costs. I will definitely be ordering some things from Amazon!

Wouldn't you know my first day home without gym membership it's raining, cold, and generally yucky outside, and Christmas baking has started to appear in the office. I will move anyway. I ate a lot of tasty, off-plan food on vacation and really need to buckle down on eating right and portion sizes now, and follow through with exercise at home. I made us stop at the good grocery store on the way home from the airport and once again convinced myself kale and carrots would save me. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, too. They will help... but only I can save myself! It's lots of water with lemon and tea for a few days, too.

Becky, cards? I forgot about those. No go here, either. Good for you for getting the decorating done!

Saef, it amazes me the differences in some zoning boards from others. Certain FL zoning boards would have no problems approving your wall, based on some of the junk they approve in parts of my state. GL getting your wall approved. I know the peace of mind it will bring will be invaluable to you.

Michele, I'm so glad DD and her service dog are getting along so well. As I said, dog greetings are the best ever!

Bill, GL resisting the baklava. At least it's hard for you to get to with the cast. I would also like to know the secret to patience. Let me know if you figure it out.

Have a good rest of week, everyone.

CherryPie99
12-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Hi guys - just checking in for the week!

Regarding Amazon - please feel free to tell me to pi$$ off if this is inappropriate, but I am an Amazon affiliate and if you access Amazon through my blog (jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com) I get money back for ANYTHING you buy and you don't have to do anything different except click the Amazon link on my main page.

At any rate, DH and I took the day and shopped on Monday. We didn't buy a lot, as I'm mostly done with Xmas shopping, but we got a few things accomplished that we wanted to. It was a great day, but since then I've fallen into a total funk. Don't know what the heck is wrong with me!

I am going to try running tomorrow for the first time in a week and see what my IT band does. I am just so worried that the minute I start running it will act up, so maybe being pessimistic is what is causing the funk.

A local agency that I work with brought in 2 large gift baskets which are being stored in my office - it is filled not with home baked stuff but instead tons of trail-mix and granola bars. Which is calling to me but I haven't indulged.

Our Xmas party is next week, and instead of doing a potluck like we normally do, the new person organizing it gave us a local menu and we all ordered off that - so I'm having a salad with grilled chicken and fat free dressing, so I've dodged a bullet there!

Here's hoping I get out of funk! I can't express just how reading about how everyone is doing - both good and bad - is therapuetic for me even when I don't respond to everyone!

Jen

Shannon in ATL
12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Jen - start slow tomorrow. I feel you on the worry about the IT issues, it sent me into a funk when mine was acting up as well. Did you ever get a strap? If you don't have one a pair of tight compression pants or capris can also help. And do a little extra yoga tonight, and stretch the leg well before and after your run. It will help. Been there, didn't do that, regretted it. LOL

CherryPie99
12-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. I actually almost got a strap - it's in my "saved" area in Amazon, but I decided not to fork over the $15 until I see what happens after a week+ of rest.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow...

Shannon in ATL
12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Do you have an ace wrap? You can do almost the same thing as the strap, I saw a video somewhere that talked about it.

Megan1982
12-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Morning all,

Almost back to normal feeling today. I am sort of mostly done my shopping, just need to hear back from my mom regarding my dad's present. I have it stuck in my brain to be crafty for my nieces, though, and I guess I'll have to go to the city Saturday AM to get my supplies (too late to have those shipped). I have holiday parties Saturday and Monday, office birthday lunch today (yes, my absence would be missed and socially I need to go :dizzy:)... I brought a really good salad in case I somehow get out of lunch. I'm looking forward to only one of the parties, really. It's still chilly and gray here. I must be in a sort of Scroogey mood right now, lol.

Jen, what a nice idea of this party organizer to let you pick what you want to eat. It sidesteps so many issues! Both of my parties are potluck/buffets which fat Megan is excited about and desperately-pretending-to-be-skinny Megan is wailing about. How is your IT band today?

Hope everyone is having a good day.

traveling michele
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Jen-- that is great for your office party-- that is a dream for those of us wishing to maintain at this time of year.

Megan-- I'm chuckling at your fat Megan vs. desperately-pretending-to-be-skinny Megan! I'll have to remember that when I go to the holiday party this weekend with dh and decide which one I'm going for.

My weight is one pound below my red line so I'm holding on for dear life. However, dd came home late last night so the difficulties with my routine ensue. She needs the car which means I'll need to pick up dh which may knock me out of yoga or the gym. Sigh... I'll have to practice flexibility (and pray).

alinnell
12-13-2012, 10:30 AM
So scary last night! I was on Facebook around dinner time and was chatting with DD who got a text message from Cal State Fullerton saying that they were going into lockdown and if you weren't in a classroom to get off of campus stat. There was an armed robbery in Moreno Valley and the robbers fled and ended up on campus (which is about a 30 minute drive away). DD was at home when it happened, but she called her boyfriend to come and get her and they went out to dinner in a different city just to get away. Her roommate was in the music building and was in lockdown for several hours while SWAT teams scoured the campus and helicopters (3) flew overhead looking for the gunmen. As I understand, they found two, lost two and the fifth had stolen a car and was chased to Watts where they arrested him.

Everyone was safely evacuated. Still scary though.

bargoo
12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Allison, glad DD is safe. I saw that on the news, so much scary news lately.
Re: Amazon DIL passed another ToyRUs on the way home and picked up the walker in Elk Grove. I do order from Amazon, mostly books , sometimes for my Kindle and other times I want an actual book.

ChrisMohr
12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Amazing the various stresses that the holidays bring... food, office parties, food, shopping, food, family conflict, food... Best wishes to us all as we navigate this. I can think of two REAL things around the holidays: 1) for those of us with a religious or spiritual bent, we celebrate Christmas/Hannukah/solstice and it deepens our connection to God 2) for everyone, the holidays can deepen our love and connection with family, friends, neighbors, to all of good will. I remind myself that overeating has nothing to do with either of these core things (love), and keep trying to focus on what is deeper than the stresses.

So far I'm still losing my Thanksgiving weight and am within a half-pound of my ideal weight range again! This has no precedent in my adult life for this time of year.

saef
12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
This morning, a heresy occurred to me when I was walking back home from the gym. It's that I don't miss wine. And don't care if I ever drink a glass again. And am left completely cold by the prospect of having to order it. Yes, I am a traitor to my class! I'm not against drinking. Actually, I rather like being around people who've had a little to drink. And I support viniculture and the wine-tasting ritual, because I always love the idea of excellence and turning work into a kind of art, or at least, into something artisanal. Also, I like the flavoring that a bit of wine can give to something I'm cooking. But when I get a glass of it, I drink it because everyone else already is, and one is supposed to. It confers adulthood. It seems like the right thing to drink with a meal, if one is having a meal in which flavor is important. So the remaining reason would be getting a buzz on, and that doesn't really interest me. I am heretofore excusing myself from ever having to drink wine again because of my apathy about it.

WardHog
12-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I am not much of a wine drinker, either. I like it, but most of the time I would rather eat my calories than drink them.

I play tennis with a group of ladies on Fridays; it's casual and whoever wants to play just shows up at 10:00 and we play for a couple of hours. So today I get an e-mail from one of the ladies that says, "Tomorrow we are playing for drinks, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, your choice. I will bring a bottle of wine to get the ball rolling." Ok, first of all, it's at 10:00 in the morning. Secondly, I am there primarily to get some exercise, and have fun doing it. Drinking wine while exercising and also having to spend extra money to do so does not appeal to me!

I am debating skipping it just so I can avoid the uncomfortable position of being the no-fun, non-drinking one. What would you guys do? I think I will e-mail back with, "I can make it but it's a bit early for alcohol for me." and hope that other people will chime in with similar. And I also hope this doesn't become the norm; I will have to find a new tennis group!

CherryPie99
12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Being a substance abuse counselor I don't drink at all. I've never had a problem with drinking, but once you've seen so many people piss their lives away over alcohol it loses its appeal, I guess. Plus since I've lost weight I can't imagine wasting any calories on empty calories!

Just got back from my first run in over a week. First 2.5 miles were COMPLETELY pain free. Suddenly it then started hurting again. :( This is so discouraging. I just ordered an IT Band Strap but any other recommendations are being solicited!

Jen

Shannon in ATL
12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry, Jen... I was hoping it would go better. From everything I read the pain starts up after 2.5-3 miles because it takes that long for the wear on the IT band to cause it to flare up. I guess the IT band itself rubs against the knee bones or something? I have to admit that I'm not as familiar as I should be with the anatomy there, especially as I did loads of research about it this summer.

Don't wear heels today and try to avoid a lot of stairs if you can. More stretching. Try the strap and see if it helps, if not maybe lay off running - do you have access to an elliptical? That didn't hurt me at all and I used it as a sub for about a month, mixed with some shorter runs.

traveling michele
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I also don't waste my calories on alcohol like you Jen.

I drank when I was younger but now when I drink I get sick-- doctor says I'm intolerant to alcohol-- so not exactly allergic-- but not worth doing. Dh says I'm boring sometimes but I know he likes having a designated driver when we go out.

I do find it interesting to see the nature vs. nurture regarding alcohol. My parents rarely drank and now I don't drink at all. Dh's parents are alcoholics (in my opinion-- but others just might say they drink a lot) and most of his family drinks a great deal. Dh drinks more than I would like and we've had many discussions about it. I wish he'd cut back but until a doctor tells him to I doubt he will. My girls don't drink. My older dd (21) will drink very occasionally but not much at all and she hates to be around drunk people. My younger dd (17) REALLY doesn't drink-- she's the one who just became Mormon. So, how much is nature and how much is nurture??

Sorry Jen about your running too! I'm glad you've found other exercise options though.

saef
12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Michele, I am oddly fascinated by your daughter's conversion to Mormonism. Maybe because down here near Manhattan, it's unusual to run across a Mormon. I mean, I know they're out there, but they don't have a strong cultural presence in this area. I think it's fair to say that it would be unusual in this area to find a child of Jewish descent through her mother who converted to Mormonism.

Jen, I've thought of you on & off today, wondering at what time you were going to run, and how it went. Sorry to hear that it flared up again. Shannon seems to be offering the soundest advice here. Mine will be: Do not despair, and remember not to give into the little irrational voice that says this is going to ruin everything permanently & reverse overnight all your good work. It will not. You are a different person now in many ways, not just in your exercise habits.

Me, I'm hoping for a quiet night and then tomorrow's challenge, which will be a dinner out with old friends in Connecticut. The friend, an Italian-American whose family originated in the Bronx, is craving cavatelli & meatballs, which he feels just isn't done correctly in the section of Virginia where he now lives. So he goes for pasta dishes whenever he comes back to the area to visit. On that pasta-heavy menu, I think I'm just going for that reliable standby, grilled salmon. And tell myself that it's about his company, which I enjoy. He last saw me maybe 50 pounds ago, about halfway through my weight loss journey, so this should be an interesting dinner.

Shannon in ATL
12-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Jen, I focused on the injury piece and not the emotional side of it, but I agree with Saef. This injury will not destroy everything you've accomplished so far, not at all. Take care of yourself and don't push too hard so you can get back on your feet faster. You'll be just fine - you have made so many positive changes in your life, this is just a minor bump in the road. :hug: I remember I gave in to despair when mine was bothering me so badly, read all the worst case scenario articles about how I'd never run again, etc. Don't do that to yourself, it doesn't help at all. :eek: I did end up changing my shoes over the whole thing - I was wearing Asics with a lot of support, but have found that my stride actually prefers a more natural shoe. I used Newtons for a while, but discovered a philosophical problem with the company and their service model so moved to a light Saucony back in September. When I use a shoe with more support I actually pronate more rather than less, and put too much pressure on my ankles and knees. The more natural shoe with the thinner sole lets my feet set their own stride easier, feels better at the end of the day.

Saef - griilled salmon is always a good fallback, and a good food in general. Enjoy your visit with your friend, I hope he is appropriately wowed by your progress. :)

I probably drink more than I should, even though I do it very seldom. I have a family history of some alcoholism as well as an addictive personality, so I try to be very careful with it. If i sit down for a glass of wine I often end up finishing the bottle, so I don't always sit with a glass of wine without someone else there to help police it.

CherryPie99
12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Jen, I've thought of you on & off today, wondering at what time you were going to run, and how it went. Sorry to hear that it flared up again. Shannon seems to be offering the soundest advice here. Mine will be: Do not despair, and remember not to give into the little irrational voice that says this is going to ruin everything permanently & reverse overnight all your good work. It will not. You are a different person now in many ways, not just in your exercise habits.

That voice - the one that says "f*ck it" and that I am going to be fat again? It has been SCREAMING at me all afternoon. I have said before that I don't deal with the unexpected well and this is just throwing me into a total panicky tailspin.

Shannon - I don't have any access to an Elliptical - just a very expensive treadmill that DH and the dogs all use as well. I wear Vibrams when I run. I have had foot and ankle problems all my life. I tried a regular sneaker (Merrell) earlier this year - ended up in AGONY AND lost a toenail. Hoping the IT Band strap helps and I will continue to work on stretching and strengthening.

Trying to fight the black cloud of despair..........

bargoo
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
I am not much of a wine drinker, either. I like it, but most of the time I would rather eat my calories than drink them.

I play tennis with a group of ladies on Fridays; it's casual and whoever wants to play just shows up at 10:00 and we play for a couple of hours. So today I get an e-mail from one of the ladies that says, "Tomorrow we are playing for drinks, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, your choice. I will bring a bottle of wine to get the ball rolling." Ok, first of all, it's at 10:00 in the morning. Secondly, I am there primarily to get some exercise, and have fun doing it. Drinking wine while exercising and also having to spend extra money to do so does not appeal to me!

I am debating skipping it just so I can avoid the uncomfortable position of being the no-fun, non-drinking one. What would you guys do? I think I will e-mail back with, "I can make it but it's a bit early for alcohol for me." and hope that other people will chime in with similar. And I also hope this doesn't become the norm; I will have to find a new tennis group!

Take a bottle of sparkling cider, non alcoholc but still festive. I don't drink at all, I have had enough and no. I do not have any religious reasons not to. It is just like food, if I prefer something low calorie or refuse the second helping of desert and they think I am a picky eater, OK, same with alcohol it is my preferance and if they think I am no fun that is OK, too. I have no problem if other people drink as long as they don't drink and drive.

Marrie Ann
12-13-2012, 05:30 PM
to ignore some baklava sitting on the kitchen counter
I wouldn't dare to ignore baklava.:devil:

ChrisMohr
12-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Jen,
When I read the studies that show that people who drink one or two glasses of wine/beer/shots reduce their Alzheimer's risk by 40%, I became a religious one-glass-a-day wine drinker. I have taught wine tastings for charities for 25+ years and raised over a hundred thousand dollars doing it. And I was able to lose 30 pounds drinking a glass a day through most of it. All that said, there are days when the taste of wine doesn't do much for even me, with all my knowledge!

BillBlueEyes
12-14-2012, 04:58 AM
LOL at "I wouldn't dare to ignore baklava.:devil:" - Welcome Marrie Ann, and :wel3fc:

We're guests tonight at dinner celebrating the Eight night of Hanukkah. Facing the notion of not wanting to appear unappreciative guests where there is going to be lots of food, with multiple choruses of "more, more, more." Gotta remember that it's not a display of anti-semitism to say no, LOL.

Mudpie
12-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Dogmageddon has ended! My legs still hurt from the 9 :eek: hours of dogwalking I did yesterday. Glad that's done and that there is that extra money for Christmas now.

I'm going to buy some special cookies (shortbread covered with belgian chocolate :drool:) for all the long-suffering people who are dealing with my father in palliative care. And I sent off 2 "mistletoe" boxes from Harry & David to both my cousins who have also been visiting and trying to talk him into going into long-term care.

I can now also donate my $100 worth of toys to the less fortunate kids in our area (something I couldn't afford to do last year).

Ah Friday. I think I will indulge tonite and have one really good beer.

Good day all!

ICUwishing
12-14-2012, 07:25 AM
I too tip 'em for good health, Chris. Dark beers and dark red wines, mostly. 95% of the time, it's just one glass. I like the differences in tastes and enjoy the hunt for inexpensive wines that taste good to me. Fortunately, my maintenance calorie allowance has some wiggle room and I don't yet have to make some of the more difficult choices.

dagmar, congrats on your survival and achieving a bit of financial peace. Definitely time to do something truly enjoyable for yourself!

Our remodel has a new project manager; not sure how much my gripe had to do with it ... but the new guy was out to the house, taking pictures of the work already done and the state of the material being staged. I had a warm fuzzy about him - Saef mentioned a while back about what it's like to be in the presence of calm competency, and that's how he came across. We had a good discussion - for a construction guy, he was an outstanding listener. Some of the work that's been done is going to be re-done, which may set us back a bit, but it will be to manufacturer's specifications.

DS13's choir has their first major concert tonight. It will be almost two hours of singing, all from memory. Rehearsal on Tuesday sounded terrific! I just found out yesterday that on Valentine's Day, they will be performing in a benefit with The King's Singers. Oh my!

alinnell
12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
I've been listening to my Dad complain about the renovations being done to his basement. He's still not wanting it to be done and thinks he's going to have to pay for it all. He is not understanding that the insurance will pay for most of it. Anyway, he doesn't understand why it is taking so long. All it is is complain, complain, complain. Says the work has been going on since August. Um, yeah, the flood was in September. They started work in November. He thought rewiring the basement, a complete bathroom redo and putting up walls and ceiling would take a week!

And then once again he reiterated that he just doesn't like the hassle of flying. Yet he still wants to fly to his "girlfriends" house for her graduation party. He isn't going, though.

Enjoy the concert, Becky! I watched the link you posted yesterday. Very nice!

Glad you survived dogmageddon, Dagmar!

Enjoy the festivities, Bill!

Welcome, Marrie Ann!

Chris, I'm not convinced wine will stave off Alzheimers, but I'm willing to try! I love a good red wine. My new favorite is Malbec. I've found a couple here that are only $12 a bottle and both quite good.

ChrisMohr
12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Alinell, Argentina has some great affordable Malbecs! (Talk about derailing this thread)

traveling michele
12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
This thread does take some interesting curves-- wines, concerts, Hanukkah, injuries, Mormons, dog walking, and older men dating younger women-- and that's just on this page!

Saef-- I am also fascinated by my daughter's conversion. While we were not particularly religious, we did raise our girls Jewish-- they went to religious school, had their Bat Mitzvah's, they were both Madrichim (religious school helpers). She is now home for winter break and has asked about Hanukkah twice-- I keep reminding her that Mormons don't celebrate Hanukkah.

We have also been visited by the elders (the young Mormon men on their mission). I think now that my dd converted, they want to see if there's any more fresh meat at our house!! I was caught by surprise when they came last week and told them they could come back when dh was home (they said they couldn't come in if a man wasn't in the house). Once I talked to dd, she told me that I need to tell them nicely that we aren't interested in converting and they'll quit coming. They came back last night and dh answered the door. Rather than telling them nicely we aren't interested, he invited them back this weekend! WHAT?! He said they are just nice polite young men (which they are) and we should be hospitable to them. I will make sure when they come that we let them know we are not interested in converting!

alinnell
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I keep reminding her that Mormons don't celebrate Hanukkah. LOL! That made me laugh!

You're right, the missionaries are nice, young people (most are 19 year old men, but there are some young women out there, too). I don't understand how they choose where the kids go. I have a friend from high school who's daughter wanted to go to Africa. The family has been numerous times, the son didn't do a mission, but goes and spends months there doing charity work, building stuff, kind of like the Peace Corps. She got sent to Ohio.

bargoo
12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
michele, I have had Morman neighbors and Mormon coworkers, they are the nicest, most polite people that you can imagine. On my last job I worked with a Morman girl, we had just enough downtime where we would chat about this and that. I learned a lot from our conversations, I also have visited the Morman Information Center in Hawaii and learned a lot there reinforcing some of the things I had heard and wondered about. Going from Jewish to Mormanism seems like quite a stretch. The most important for your DD is that she be happy with her decision.

Megan1982
12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Yesterday was just one of those days when exercise wasn't easy. I got home and needed to take the dog for a walk. I didn't want to, but went anyway. Usually after a bit I don't mind it, but yesterday, my feet were like lead weights. I went 4 miles at a moderate pace anyway. Gotta fake it til I make it - and get some jogging in, too. But I do feel much better because I ordered all of the gifts I plan to order online, and all are scheduled to arrive by Christmas. I still want to do something crafty for my nieces, but the rest is done minus a few stocking stuffers. Whew.

I was out on the boat all day and it was windy, gray, and cold. I want nothing more than to go home and get in our friend's hot tub with a glass of wine. But I will walk the dog first, and maybe skip the wine bc I'm trying to be good. I do enjoy my 2 glasses of wine or a good beer, but see no point in drinking bad beer. I've gone without an alcoholic beverage many times when there is nothing available to my liking. I also have nursed drinks for hours, or dumped them, or got the bartender to make me a mocktail that looks like a cocktail to get people off my back when I'm being pressured to drink. In small towns like mine there isn't much to do besides going to the bar at night. (Maybe why I'm so into community theatre?)

Alison, at least your dad is no longer planning on going to the graduation party. Wasn't that the plan last time you posted about the situation?

Dagmar, glad you made it through the week and are in such good holiday spirits. :wreath:

First Christmas party tomorrow night. Dun dun dun... it begins.

Have a great weekend all!

bargoo
12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
saef, are you OK ? Are you working at home today ? I don't know where your office is in Connecticut but I am praying you are nowhere near where this senseles and tragic shooting took place.

saef
12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh, Bargoo, this is horrible. What kind of person guns down 20 elementary school children?

I'm perfectly fine, thanks. Drove into Connecticut office at noon because I'll be meeting an old friend for dinner tonight.

Head office is quiet on Fridays usually but today ... CNN going in the cafeteria, everyone intently watching news reports on their laptops & tablets. Little cries of "Ohhh" coming out from the cubicles.

One woman in my department lives in Newtown and a guy with whom I've been co-presenting training & informational sessions also lives in Newtown. I can think of one of the most prominent analysts in our company who lives there, too, and also someone who leads our Web design team. And there are others, too, whose kids go to school in that district.

Miraculously, NONE of them have lost children. A bulletin went out around the whole company. I've emailed the two people with whom I'm closest, very briefly.

But both think that their children have probably lost friends ....

This workplace is going to be a very different kind of place this coming Monday.

alinnell
12-14-2012, 04:54 PM
So tragic. Senseless.

Shannon in ATL
12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I was thinking this same thing myself earlier bargoo, and wondering about you Saef. I'm so sorry for your coworkers - though they didn't lose anyone personally, their kids have lost something they can't fix today. It is so sad.

shcirerf
12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
While I've been absent from posting here, I am still maintaining, and have been reading as time allows.

I have no words that can express how I feel about what happened today.:?:

bargoo
12-15-2012, 07:22 AM
janelle, good to hear from you, I have missed you,,
Yesterday's event are too tragic to understand.

saef
12-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Dinner last night in CT had somber moments, but it was good for us to be out together.

Half the attendees didn't show up, which did not surprise me. It was a night for parents to keep close by home and watch over their children.

But for me, personally, I felt it was a good thing to be out in a warm, bright place, a very informal red-sauce Italian restaurant, where the TVs overhead just showed cooking shows, and old friends caught up on news.

Thank goodness I talked my rigid self out of declining the invitation. And even though the salmon was overdone and the vegetables were lukewarm, being there seemed important.

alinnell
12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm still numb from the horrors of yesterday.

Maintaining here as well. Happily doing so, too. In years past I've gained. Maintaining is much better, regardless of the fact that I need to lose a few more. That loss will take place after my January cruise.