Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Default How much maintenance do really short haircuts take?

Anyone out there with experience having very short hair, like a pixie cut?

I'm considering trying it out (especially as I lose weight!), but only if I can do it without putting much effort into it, lol.

I generally keep my hair long precisely because I literally don't do ANYTHING to it but brush/comb it and either leave it down or twist it up in a bun or ponytail, and it still looks great.... I don't know how, nor really want to take the time, to put a lot of maintenance into it!

My hair is medium thick and a little bit naturally wavy, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice!!
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #2  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Very little effort you might love it you might hate it. I do a little mousse blow dry & 10 min I'm out the door BUT my hair is baby fine wispy straight. You might be able to do a little mousse fluff fluff out the door. I would love to have thicker hair with a little body to it like yours. You'll just have to try it & find out it'll grow if you hate it ..... it's hair.

Good Luck !

Last edited by 1spunkygal; 11-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm a shortie in more ways than one. I do find I need a cut more frequently to have it look good but find it a breeze. I have thick and white hair which even manages to dry OK on its own of I don't want to use the blow dryer.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I had a pixie and had to get it cut every 6 weeks. The main problem was the very back on my neck, as soon as it started to get long, the nape of my neck felt like I had a mullet. It would go from fine to driving me crazy overnight.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I personally have an easier time styling long hair. My hair is currently just past my shoulders, grown out from a long pixie cut from about 3 years ago. I had a hard time styling short hair because I could never get the spikiness I wanted, and the top which I took great care to puff up would always flatten by midday. I think my long hair is much more attractive. Just my two cents. I'm sure yours will look awesome

Added: Be careful cutting it short if you have wavy hair. So do I, and when my hair was short I had to straighten the whole thing every day. Now that my hair is long I don't have to use so many products and hot tools, and it is much healthier.

Last edited by McMurphy; 11-04-2012 at 01:03 PM.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #6  

Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone!!
I'll keep thinking about it for now....I'm not very adventurous, so I don't know if I'll ever get the courage to actually do such a drastic change, but at the same time, I really want to try it!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I don't know if you've ever cut your hair short before but I have and every time I've really regretted it. I'm also in the no maintenance long hair boat. I can imagine having to get it cut very often would kind of suck, but I guess if you have time for it then it's ok. Having said all that though you could totally pull it off IMO
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #8  

Yeah, that's the other thing, I guess-- really don't want to spend the money getting it trimmed regularly! With my hair now, I can't even remember the last time I had it cut, just do it myself very occasionally and it's no problem!
Thanks for the vote of confidence pulling it off, Leila. (;
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I had extremely short hair for most of my life and now that I have boobs, people know I'm not a boy. That is my only complaint about short hair, unless you dress femininely or have noticeable ta-tas it can get a bit awkward. I had a pixie cut for my wedding and in the last 2 1/2 years I've let it grow it. I like it well enough long but whenever I get a piece of hair in my mouth instead of food, I miss my short hair. Whenever I go swimming, I miss my short hair. Whenever I turn over in my sleep and my hair gets caught under my shoulder, I miss my short hair. When I have to style it in the morning, I miss my short hair.

Have I mentioned how much I miss my short hair. I am totally getting it cut when I hit goal weight! YAY!

I think you should go for it. Short hair is really fun and as long as you're not super attached to a certain look in the mirror, it's not too traumatic. It is *just* hair, it will grow back. Have fun with it!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #10  

It's fun to go short! I really need a cut about every 5 weeks to feel right. 6 weeks is doable but really is a little too long in-between cuts for me. I am very quick with styling, a little product, blow-dry, more product, shape and GO! It takes 10 min or less to have a cute style.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #11  
Canadian on the Inside

Height: 5' 6"

It looks like you've already gotten some pretty good advice, but I'll just throw my experience in there. I cut my hair very short a few years ago; long enough that it didn't stick straight up, but on the short-short side of pixies. Daily maintenance was negligible (I miss it!); I used a little bit of super lightweight styling creme on it when it was wet, and I reapplied when it was dry if it needed it. I switched to a heavier styling product when I was growing it out and it got a bit longer (still in the pixie range), but the input was the same.

To keep it that length (more or less), I needed a haircut about once a month. Because I can't afford a fancy stylist, these were $15 Supercuts, and every single one was a little different. The last cut I got grew out really well, and I decided to ride it out because I didn't know if I would get that opportunity again.

Good luck whatever your decision!
Paja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

ive cut my hair short for many years now....i ask them to layer it very short, with texture and add volume...they use a razor-cut to get that and it looks really good on me....i had a very round face when i was heavier and it looked good, and it still looks good with a leaner face now...i used some styling gel to add some volume to my hair...i dont think it was a pixie cut, just very short layers....it is super easy to style...wash, run some gel through it, and go

i dont cut my hair short expecting to maintain it that way though....i chop it all short and then let it grow out for 6-8 months until it starts to get naturally extremely tangled...(like i could grow dreadlocks without effort if i let my hair go)...and when it starts to get tangled like that i have it chopped back short again...

every haircut it always a little different...and that difference can feel like a HUGE difference when there's so little hair left to work with...but i never really minded...i'm not super attached to my hair...a bad haircut will grow out, a bad dye job can be fixed...ive done perms, tiny curls and big curls, short hair, long hair, dyed hair etc...i once had a friend who was a hairstylist and she loved to experiment on my hair because i didnt really care how it ended up

ive always said that if i ever get head lice from my students, i will simply shave my head bald and be done with the lice (to the horror of DH who does NOT want me to ever do that lol) ...i'm just not all that attached to my hair...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

I think it depends on your hair. I have a LOT of very fine, very thick hair, so when it is long it weighs me down and is hard to do anything with. But shorter I have natural curls so just wash, a bit of gel and fluff does it. When I was in Florida I had it cut extremely short and it worked great... very little maintenance. But here in the PNW it's not the style at all ... not that hot here... so I keep it a bit longer.

But again... I think it totally depends on your hair
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #14  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

It all depends on if you want to see the wave when your grow out starts. I have a short do with an abundance of natural curls-I use a straighter for a sassy look. If you was a straihjt pixie look try using a straightner to control how your waves look.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

I had a pixie cut for about 8 months a few years ago. Honestly? I loved how it looked on me (I am short with small features and big eyes so it did look pretty good) when I first got it cut, but about 3 weeks later, I was unimpressed, and I had to get it trimmed constantly to keep that "edgy" look. Otherwise I just looked older and sloppy. Then I started to feel less feminine (this was just a personal feeling, not that short cuts are not or can't be feminine) and I missed being able to play with my hair or feel it on my back or put it up...so over a year ago I started growing it out again. Let me tell you, unless you want to keep the pixie indefinitely, the growing out part was just hellish. It seemed to take forever to get past that awkward stage, and it took nearly a year to be long enough to put back in a ponytail again! I'm so happy that now my hair is brushing my shoulders and I can keep it down, put it up, etc.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote