Weight Loss Support - Dietary confession time!

View Full Version : Dietary confession time!

Arctic Mama
10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Lest anyone think I am a paragon of dietary virtue all the time, can I just lay out the truth about how AWFUL cravings and food aversions have been during this pregnancy? BRUTAL!

Right now most aversions are gone, except strong fish, but I have been craving poptarts to the point of ridiculousness, and thanks to some walking into my house from a coupon sale, giving in! :o

Now. This doesn't make me a failure of maintenance or indicate I have no willpower, but some seasons of life are definitely heavier on the dietary mojo than others, and this has been my worst pregnancy for cravings yet. I figured I'd go less insane in the long run with a few poptarts before heading back to lower carb, than obsessing until I binged myself sick. But it is still a bit embarrassing to crave something that doesn't even pretend to be real food! Talk about nutritionally devoid! :^:

Just keeping it real, and I know you folks have been there, too. Still on the wagon, but definitely not with perfect adherence!

freelancemomma
10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Good to know you're human! Sometimes I've wondered...

F.

stimkovs
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
1 point for human.

2 points for poptarts.

everybody wins!

krampus
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I have either candy/dessert or booze at least 5 days a week. Sometimes both.

Arctic Mama
10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm good with dark chocolate, but I can justify a square of that - tastier, less calories, FAR less sugar. I am really sensitive to sugar and wheat so the poptarts actually make me feel terrible, but I can't logic my way out of hormonal cravings quite as easily. And being on plan, more or less, for four years, it is easy to forget why I swore of particular foods to begin with!

I'm remembering, though. Headache and tummy ache, now!

JohnP
10-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't consider any of the food I eat to be "bad" thus I feel no need to confess.

Having said that - I haven't been to the gym to lift for over a month and the time before that was over a month. Still getting plenty of exercise in but none of the kind I advocate most. :cool:

Arctic Mama
10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
That's me and TTap - I love it, but I haven't done it since July, consistently. A few workouts here and there, but I've been so exhausted i generally hut the couch by two and can barely budge until I have to cook dinner.

Now that my energy is finally back I'm adding it back in and I've been doing other things, like swimming, but I tend to advise on what I know is best and less on what I might be currently doing ;)

It's nice to know I'm not alone in that's at least!

stimkovs
10-03-2012, 05:36 PM
want a confession? 5:36 pm. 1800-some-odd-calories- and i'm currently cooking dinner.

rock on.

Arctic Mama
10-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm at 1600 for the day with dinner to go, thanks to those stupid poptarts. Dinner's probably going to be creamy chicken soup, which is about 400 calories a serving (too lazy to open my app and check), so I'll be over by about 200 for the day. Oh well!

1spunkygal
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Mine was pasta (spag) & lots of it with a little bit of sauce ...thankfully I found Dreamfields pasta. I don't crave / obsess over it as much. Funny when you keep some of whatever in the house you don't want it as much .

LockItUp
10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Taryl AND John are both human!? :hat::high::woohoo:

dangerouscurvesahead
10-03-2012, 07:36 PM
lmao! to funny! ya bunch of back sliding human beings what are you thinking! wow i do love this site! hope all else is going well with ur pregnancy!

Arctic Mama
10-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Shhh! It's a secret, Steph! Don't tell my kids, they still think I'm omniscient because I can figure out that someone stole a toy from brother, *just* because he screamed (and not because they vacated the area in a hurry, trying to look innocent).

I'll be back to giving out overly confident dietary advice in no time, rest assured ;)

mimsyborogoves
10-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I inhaled 3/4 of a box of japanese takeout tonight. SCORE!

mimsyborogoves
10-03-2012, 08:46 PM
OH OH OH and I ate a couple cookies yesterday. Keebler's cookies with peanut butter cups in them. HECK YES I DID! I have no shame cause they were OM NOM DELICIOUS!

stimkovs
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
you know what? my crazy workout veins are throbbing. what does this mean? it's the crazy workout equivalency of the tingly spidey senses. and you know what they say?

were all going to be omnipresently awesome, and perfect, and inhuman specimens of healthy lifestyle and dietary perfection as of now.

GO.

Arctic Mama
10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Haha! You're cracking me up, ladies!

I went ahead and made a non-creamy chicken soup, just because. It's yum, and actually pretty light on calories (and starch, yay!). Back to perfection ;)

novangel
10-03-2012, 09:58 PM
I had some double fudge brownie ice cream about a week ago but I rarely eat sweets. I'd have to say my biggest downfall is red meat and brown rice. Sorry, I'm boring. ;)

Steph7409
10-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I've never liked Pop Tarts but I do love those breakfast toaster pastries filled with "cheese" and bacon.

I indulged today: a cupcake and a big cookie that one of my evil co-workers brought to the office. Both were dee-lish. My rationale is that sometimes you have to go off plan to get a better view of the plan.

freelancemomma
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
This morning I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for my kids, and several globs of the cookie dough jumped into my mouth.

F.

LockItUp
10-03-2012, 10:20 PM
If there is ever cake or cupcakes in the house from a birthday or other celebration, I have it for breakfast. Every. Single. Time. Breakfast of champions.

Arctic Mama
10-03-2012, 11:48 PM
This morning I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for my kids, and several globs of the cookie dough jumped into my mouth.

F.

I, too, have had an infestation of jumping cookie dough in my kitchenaid before. What a scourge!

Riddy
10-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Well, I haven't had any crap food cravings lately, but I've been REALLY wanting a good pumpkin beer for about a week now. I indulged in a Dogfish Head Punkin ale tonight. Totally worth the calories. I did do a 90 minute warm yoga class before I drank it, though. :D

Sometimes you just have to give in to the craving. Preferably within reason. ;)

Elladorine
10-04-2012, 12:20 AM
I had a "salad" at Cafe Rio tonight. Which is basically an open-faced burrito (rice, beans, chicken, cheese, the works) with romaine lettuce added. I at least asked for a whole wheat tortilla rather than a regular, but they were out. :p

But hey, I only ate half! :D I saved the rest for lunch tomorrow. ;)

Lilbert
10-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Wow, glad to know you all are human! :D You lot have made me wonder sometimes......:^:

krampus
10-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I ate a lot of bowling alley french fries and a bag of peanut butter m&ms and then went home and had half a PB&J after because the quickie mart was closed (was jonesing for ice cream).

Sometimes I miss binge eating, but not really. I'll take instances of the munchies like this over >4,000 extra calories of sickening candy and chocolate covered nuts and sometimes the odd savory junk food item.

mariposssa
10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
The other day I had candy corn and a glass of milk for breakfast. It put me over my calorie and carb counts. Next morning I was down half a pound instead of higher. :dizzy: There are times when you just have to live a little and let go. Candy corn is one of my favorite things about fall. You can't give up everything you love or the binge is going to get way worse than just some candy for breakfast.

shishkeberry
10-04-2012, 02:05 PM
The first vegetable I ate today was pumpkin butter.

freelancemomma
10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I, too, have had an infestation of jumping cookie dough in my kitchenaid before. What a scourge!

Yeah, it sure gives jumping Mexican beans a run for their money!

F.

Beach Patrol
10-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Y'all are a bunch of wankers! And the gist of it is that I, too, am a confessed hard core member of The Wanker Club. :crazy:

Had a desire for something "salty/chippy" last night while I was shopping for ESTROVEN (for menopausal symptoms!!) and grabbed a bag of BBQ Fritos - "this will go nicely with my Turkey & 2% cheese wrap for dinner!" ... then I thought, hey, a nice Hershey Bar would be great for dessert... then I decided :chin: hmmmm... maybe a chocolate chip cookie :cookie: would be better, then I thought "my husband sure loves Snickers bars..." and then would you look at that!- Milk Duds are ON SALE! and I really enjoy Cheez-Its so a box of that (oh ****, make it two...)

I bought over $25 worth of "junk" ... :^: and altho I had a "healthy" dinner (my turkey wrap is a very healthy meal :hun: - and just ONE SERVING of the BBQ Fritos (that's 29 chips, in case you were wondering ;) ) I also had TWO servings of Milk Duds...I'd have eaten the entire box of Milk Duds, but luckily I told my husband PLEASE TAKE THESE AWAY FROM ME NOW! and he did... :shrug:

SO THERE. Yup, solidified member of The Wanker Club. And solidified reason why I've gained 8 lb back of the 39 I'd lost. Ack. :tantrum: :devil:

stimkovs
10-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Y'all are a bunch of wankers! And the gist of it is that I, too, am a confessed hard core member of The Wanker Club. :crazy:

Had a desire for something "salty/chippy" last night while I was shopping for ESTROVEN (for menopausal symptoms!!) and grabbed a bag of BBQ Fritos - "this will go nicely with my Turkey & 2% cheese wrap for dinner!" ... then I thought, hey, a nice Hershey Bar would be great for dessert... then I decided :chin: hmmmm... maybe a chocolate chip cookie :cookie: would be better, then I thought "my husband sure loves Snickers bars..." and then would you look at that!- Milk Duds are ON SALE! and I really enjoy Cheez-Its so a box of that (oh ****, make it two...)

I bought over $25 worth of "junk" ... :^: and altho I had a "healthy" dinner (my turkey wrap is a very healthy meal :hun: - and just ONE SERVING of the BBQ Fritos (that's 29 chips, in case you were wondering ;) ) I also had TWO servings of Milk Duds...I'd have eaten the entire box of Milk Duds, but luckily I told my husband PLEASE TAKE THESE AWAY FROM ME NOW! and he did... :shrug:

SO THERE. Yup, solidified member of The Wanker Club. And solidified reason why I've gained 8 lb back of the 39 I'd lost. Ack. :tantrum: :devil:

that's actually impressive self-control.

i'm a firm believe of "lets eat the whole contents of the package" club.

Beach Patrol
10-05-2012, 09:55 AM
that's actually impressive self-control.

i'm a firm believe of "lets eat the whole contents of the package" club.

Self control? Ha!- did you miss the part where I said I had to have my husband take away the Milk Duds? I certainly wasn't going to put them in the cupboard myself! I would have sat there watching HGTV & devoured the entire package. And probably got up for package #2. :lol:

stimkovs
10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Self control? Ha!- did you miss the part where I said I had to have my husband take away the Milk Duds? I certainly wasn't going to put them in the cupboard myself! I would have sat there watching HGTV & devoured the entire package. And probably got up for package #2. :lol:

hahahaha, i would've fought for the taking away.

gailr42
10-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Ah, Beach Patrol, you have achieved Nirvana with an evening of HGTV and Milk Duds. You are my idol.

healthyangie
10-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Yum - poptarts! Toasted AND with a little butter on the backside. I don't even really like sweets and those are just one of those things that I could embark on a whole box sometimes!

And you're right. Not even real food! But I bet the babe loves them :) It's strange what those little buggers make you want to eat! I had NEVER eaten a McDonald's cheeseburger (I was 33 when I gave birth) until my 2nd trimester when I swear I ate 4 a day! Plus those flurry things!

I don't like the cheeseburgers anymore but I do admit to the reeses peanut butter flurries are still yummy too!

So what flavor were they?

Steph7409
10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
It's the 29 Fritos that's so impressive. I've had a hankering for Lays Honey Mustard potato chips but I know I'd eat the whole bag. Salty chippy stuff is very hard to eat in moderation.

I'm going to the outlets tomorrow, where there's a Lindt store and a Harry and David. ACK.