Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/140/115

Height: 5'0 TALL

Default I'm confused :(

I've only started calorie counting since 13 days ago and the first week I lost 5 pounds with hardly any exercise. So I was like "wow this really works!"

On Day 8, I started doing the elliptical for 40 mins 5x/wk burning 200 or so calories each day (I'm almost dead after doing it). For three days I've had a steady 1 pound loss, which was probably just water weight. But yesterday, my weight loss stalled. I wasn't losing any, I actually gained a pound! I weighed in today and I've almost gained 2. This confuses me. I have the same eating regimen and exercising a lot but gaining weight? What's happening

I'm 5 ft and 175 lbs and MFP pegs me at 1,200 net cal/day. I must admit I have been under-eating for the last 12 days and started dieting abruptly. I was really looking forward to that 10-pound milestone but looks like it'll have to wait
Nayshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

After the initial weight loss, it is normal to lose 1-2 pounds a WEEK. Not a day. Losing 1 pound a day is very unhealthy (unless ofcourse you are 300 pounds or more, then it is somewhat normal). Also, it is normal to "stall". You can go several days without losing any weight and then have a big "wooosh". In fact, it is common for people to go a couple weeks without a loss and then have a woosh. I am one of those people. I know how frustrating it can be waiting for the weight to come off!

When you start exercising, your body holds water. This can easily cause weight gain. Other reasons for 1-5 pound weight gains can be from sodium intake the previous day or your hormones. About 2 weeks before my period, I tack on about 3 pounds that usually dont disappear until half way through my period.

Eating anything less than 1200 calories on a regular basis is BAD. Your body needs those calories to function properly! Add in your exercise calories and your netting less than 1000 calories per day. Under eating in calories actually causes some people to gain weight, but usually most people just stall. In fact, you will notice people asking this same question on this board, and many advise them to eat more. Once they do, they come back and tell us how they actually started losing weight once they added more calories.

Yes, some people are advised by their doctors to eat less than 1000 calories a day. But these people are under the supervision of a trained professional. The majority of the public should never eat under 1200.

If you are having trouble eating enough calories, add a handful of almonds, a half an avocado or a spoonful of peanut butter. All easily help boost your calories while providing healthy fats. If the reason you are eating less is the fear of eating to much, don't be afraid! Listen to your MFP requirements and strive to eat a net of 1200.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #3  

Thanks miss =) I'm starting to see some changes now when I weigh in. This is my first time ever trying to lose weight and I guess this is how people feel when they say emotional roller coaster haha.

That spoonful of peanut butter saved me today. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #4  
So Close to Goal

S/C/G: 178/146/125

Height: 5"3

You're most likely replacing fat with muscle. This is why it's important to measure yourself instead of weighing each day.

When I started dieting I made a conscious effort to only weigh once per week, and its damn hard because all you want to do is rush on the scale each morning, remembering how good you were the previous day, thus the scale MUST be down. Unfortunately, not always the case. Especially when you are also exercising.

As I said, measure yourself every two weeks (that's what I do anyway) and then you'll really see the results. And for now, try keep weighing to maybe twice per week.
kate27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #5  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Nayshal - The first week is a fluke. It's mostly water weight.

If you have been under-eating and then working out you're depriving your body of nutrients and you go into starvation mode. Also, after you work out your body will retain fluid to help you re-build your muscles and replenish.

You want to lose 1-2lbs a week so you do it healthily and you stand a better chance of keeping it off.

It's frustrating, but I try to think long term - not short term.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #6  

Thank you all for the very helpful advice. I'm actually sticking to 1,200/d now, 1,400 if it's workout day. I didn't think it would be this hard to actually fill that 1,200 cal with healthy stuff as opposed to the old "eat whatever oh god donuts!" lifestyle. Not like I'm depriving myself, just really conscious now I guess which is a good thing.

@kate27 - yeah I tell myself I'll just weigh in once a week but nooo I just can't help weighing in every morning haha.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

It's normal for weight to fluctuate from day to day, because of different levels of water/waste retention on different days. I've been maintaining for almost a year now, and my weight goes up and down at least 3 pounds even if I stay on plan. I agree with the others who recommend not going below 1,200 calories. The idea is to lose weight with a minimum of deprivation, so you won't rebel and eat everything in sight.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Everyone's given you great advice, my advice is to stick with it, me personally I'm 6 months in and literally for 3 1/2 to 4 weeks straight I loss nothing, finally I upped my calories 200-300 and it came off sometimes your body will need an extra amount to help ahem expel waste. Don't get too down it happens to all of us.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote