General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4

Default 7 side effects of diet soda slideshow

http://www.prevention.com/food/healt...t-soda-bad-you

This isn't super scientific, but it's good food for thought if you are a big diet soda drinker.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for posting this! Drinking diet soda is still a big issue for me with my weight loss. While it doesn't make me crave sugar or anything like that-I know the chemicals are really horrible for my body. I should just scroll through this slide show every day as a reminder!
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well unfortunately I am familiar with most of the studies they referenced but didn't cite and it is misleading, to say the least. Diet soda isn't healthy and never will be, the acidity of the drink is a bad thing, if nothing else. But a better predictor of health is habits and diet composition, in general, and hardly correlates to that single factor. There are incredibly healthy folks who have diet soda, and incredibly unhealthy folks who do, too. The empty drink is hardly a contributor, and they can't even be proven to demonstrably impact satiety or insulin response in a significant way. Until more and better studies come out, the caution should always be to mindfully consume as much real, nutritionally dense food as possible (to the point of satiety) and eschew empty junk for all but the rare occasion. Diet soda is no different.

And that's my .02 on the subject.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #4  

I was a Diet Coke-aholic. I was never without one in my hand - and I always seemed to be hungry. I often wondered if there was something in it to make a person hungry so he/she eats, and then needs something to wash the food down, so they get more DC.

I quit cold-turkey in June. Haven't had an ounce since.

McDonald's has the best DC outside of a bar and there have been several times when I thought about stopping to get one. (I thought of how that is similar to someone who quit smoking.) It was an addiction for me.

I drink water - and milk occasionally. I feel incredibly better and I sleep better.
Ms Shapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #5  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

It's kinda like a go-figure thing. No one expected diet soda to be "healthy", it just doesn't have calories, which helps people who're cutting back on calories but still like that bubbly fluid (taste?) in their mouth. That being said, I know Walmart has this Great Value brand of carbonated flavored water that those people may like.
Anyway, yeah, I dropped diet soda out of my diet for the most part. Water isn't as bad as I previously made it out to be.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for posting! I've seen these before in other forms, but this is a concise and understandable presentation of the issue.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #7  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Great link! I stopped drinking all soda about 6 months ago and have felt so much better. I love tea, water, and all natural fruit juice in moderation.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote