Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/176/150

Height: 5'4''

Default Crystal Light

Hi Everyone!
Sometimes I have a hard time getting in all of my water. I have no problem drinking crystal light. Does crystal light count as water? my coach said i can have crystal light but didnt mention a limit. hope im not drinking too much!!!
ggsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #2  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I've read on this site that aspartame is the ingredient to make sure to avoid, apparently the pancreas can process it like sugar and cause insulin production, triggering cravings, etc.

Mio is another water enhancer that is sucralose based many people use. Keep track of the enhancers though, as they can add up and some folks have found they can affect their losses (not everyone - that's why it's good to keep track and tweak as needed).

My coach advised me to limit extras to 6 servings or less per day.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I would also avoid crystal light because of the aspartame- regardless of the studies done showing it's bad, when you get down to it it makes me more hungry and that's plenty of reason not to drink it.

Don't panic though! I recommend mio or offbrand (check to make sure there is no aspartame) water enhancers. I personally think they taste even better than crystal light, and find them satisfying.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #4  
IP Start date 8-11-12

S/C/G: 204/204/125

Height: 5'6

Also......I used to drink the off-brand of crystal light all the time. I noticed the other day that the carb count says less than 1 for 1/2 a pack, so therefore I would assume there is 1 carb in each pack. When I noticed that, I gave it up.

Thanks for the info about aspartame. I had been wondering why everyone always says to stay away from it.

Week 1 WI: -6.6
Week 2 WI: -2.4
Saradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #5  
Restart 4/1/19

S/C/G: 226.8/190.0/140

Height: 5' 5"

I'm glad I found this thread! I was wondering about using Mio and this answers my questions!

WI #1: -7lbs
Bella73123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #6  
Started IP 5/16/2016

S/C/G: 220/220/165

Height: 5'6

Crystal Light can't count as water because it's not plain water - which is what the plan calls for, plain water.

I think it's ok to drink it (and Mio type flavors etc) but as others have said, only occasionally.

It would be better for you to use lemons to flavor your water.
marlenesuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/141.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Just thought I would mention, the Crystal Light I have is made with splenda, would that not then be about the same as using Mio?

And yes, I only use them occasionally, but there are times when getting all my plain water in is tough!

Thanks
Im escaping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

My "coach" said that she allowed Chrystal Light or MIO. Not sure why she said crystal light was OK because she said that aspartame was not OK. I drink almost all of my daily water with the crystal light because I do not think I could get my water in without the help of it. I was a HUGE diet coke drinker before IP.
I would love more input on this thread also so i can do the right thing.
iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/175

Height: 5' 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im escaping View Post
Just thought I would mention, the Crystal Light I have is made with splenda, would that not then be about the same as using Mio?

And yes, I only use them occasionally, but there are times when getting all my plain water in is tough!

Thanks
I do the same - and I too only use the ones made with Splenda, Nestea also has a line of 'single serving' flavors out that are also made with Splenda... in saying that, I don't using them daily - usually no more than once or twice a week but it is good to have a bit of variety! Mio JUST came to my small town about a month ago so am using that as well - but at about the same frequencey.
Lorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Stick to anything sweetened with sucralose or Splenda if you can. And there really are lots of options.

4C Totally Light is another great brand that sweetens with sucralose. Just make sure you're getting their totally light stuff and not the regular 4C stuff...'cause it's FULL of sugar! We bought the wrong stuff by mistake one day. Low Carb Canada sells the 4C stuff and we often stock up when we're shopping in the US at Tops, especially when they have it on buy one get one free! They come in singles which is super convenient.

The Propel singles are also made with sucralose and they have some yummy flavours in the US. The Crystal Light and Ocean Spray ones are, primarily, aspartame based with a few exceptions.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #11  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiggy58 View Post
My "coach" said that she allowed Chrystal Light or MIO. Not sure why she said crystal light was OK because she said that aspartame was not OK. I drink almost all of my daily water with the crystal light because I do not think I could get my water in without the help of it. I was a HUGE diet coke drinker before IP.
I would love more input on this thread also so i can do the right thing.
Hey there, I'm like you! Soda lover, guilty as charged. And none of this diet/coke zero stuff. I gulped down a can of regular coke everyday.

The first week getting in 64 oz of water was difficult for me. I felt so full and wanted something that actually had TASTE. But I couldn't see any way around it (didn't know of MIO then) so I just had to take it. This is my 4th week on the diet and I am now comfortably drinking water. And yes, I have MIO at home but my DH and I use it more for making gelatin rather than flavoring our water.

I do crave for soda from time to time, especially when I see pizza and other food that just taste good with it but that has lessened considerably. I've even told my husband that I doubt I'll go back to drinking coke even after I'm off the diet.

Just give it time and if MIO helps, then by all means, have it. Then try to lessen it to every other day. I think after a couple of weeks/months, you won't even notice what you're missing.
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote