Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #1  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Starting to run a little more...

So, for at least a year now, one of the things I do out of habit is walk around my yard while listening to music. I even have my own path now. Well, since I've been finding it difficult to lose weight, I've recently decided to start running/jogging every other lap. I've never been good at running, I don't know how people can run for an entire mile straight, but is this good enough? It sure does wear me out after a little bit...
About 28 laps around my yard is a mile, and today I was able to run six laps, not counting the walking in between. I want to be able to run for a lot longer, and potentially faster!
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

You're doing great!

In fact, the couch to 5K app that I'm using does a similar thing - starts with intervals of running just 1 minute at a time, and increases it some each week. Take your time, pace yourself, and gradually increase the number of laps around the yard that you run.

2 months ago I could barely run a minute - now I'm running 28 minutes at a time, going about 2 miles! You can do it, too!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I sometimes do the C25K "program" and other times just run/walk as I feel. I think alternating walking and running is a great way to slowly build up the muscles and tendons in your legs and feet. (Certainly I can feel when I run a longer stretch that it's not just my endurance but my feet/calves adapting.)

Also I suppose it is not technically the famed "interval training" in the way serious athletes do but for me it is, so I figure it counts for it!
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I am not able to run a mile yet, but I am able to run in intervals. Each time I get out there I am able to do more and more. I have almost given up a few times, but I come back to this forum often for inspiration and then get my butt back out there!!!

Good luck!!!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #5  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've read about programs in running and such, so that's why I started that. I just feel behind. I'll keep going though! I'll try to do 10 laps!
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote