Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 03:04 AM   #1  

Default 50 or more week of April 7

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, this is the group for you! So jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:27 AM   #2  
Inchworm

Default A new week

..so nice we can have a new beginning any day we choose.
I'm going to post this and then take a walk, at least around the block, that will be a good start.

No fishing on this trip. We will be at a lake that is not far from Santa Barbara. In addition to spending time resting and relaxing at the lake, we will take some trips to Santa Barbara, Solvang and dh will have to have split pea soup at Anderson's! There are a cupla piers in SB that we walk and have seafood lunches, and dh is able to check out the fishing reports. Our chubby little old sheltie will get more exercise than she probably wants.

I must get some errands done today and tomorrow morning in prep for the trip. I have two 11 yr old dgd's coming tomorrow evening for 2 days. they have great fun seeing each other and making use of my craft room. they paint 'great masterpieces'!

Must get my shoes on and get on with this day!
Have a good one!
Old 04-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #3  

Angry

Happy Monday to you...

Janet Mae-you DESERVE to be praised for such hard work in losing over *100* pounds! THAT IS AMAZING!!

gmalil-I hope you have a WONDERFUL time away...it is so important to shake up rountines, I think. I hope you had a good walk around to block this morning as part of your "new beginning." I love that ("new beginning")...I am getting "this close" to having my dirty house tackled (I was away on vacation and failed to clean before leaving-this was 2 weeks ago!
anyway, I have no choice today--it's me or the dirt!

SO--my plan is to tackle as much as I have energy for once I get home today from work. If I keep plugging away at it, it'll eventually get done, right? Of course, it won't STAY done (oooohh, noooo-we all know how that is)..but it'll at least be cleaned ONCE through.

I hope all of the other group members have a great week, too!

catch up with you later!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #4  

HELLO!

I'm glad I'm able to post today. We had some of the worst storms I've ever experienced yesterday and last night. We were eating lunch and DD's daddy called and said that they had 6 inches of hail on the ground. He lives in the same town we do, but according to my neighbors, we didn't experience that much at my house. We had gone to my mother's house after Church so we were in Jackson and missed all of that. Most areas had at least 7 inches of rain at that point (about 2:00pm). We headed home about 6:00pm and roads that I have never seen flooded were completely covered with water. Police were everywhere warning drivers of closed roads. We live by a huge reservoir and we ended up driving up along the levee to get home. Then last night it rained and thundered all night. We stayed in my DD's bathroom for about 2 hours...us and all the pets. I was just about to decide that I would rather take my chances with the tornadoes when the weather eased up a little. This is the bathroom that we started painting a deep hot pink color this weekend. After staying in there for 2 hours, I'm glad I'm not painting my bedroom that color!

Hottie, I love your attitude about "things"...and your advice to JOYce was right on the money..."the KEY is not to give up." I was thinking about that this weekend. Although I have gained some of the weight I lost a couple of years ago back, at least I am still plugging along, and I really think I will do it this time. I liked your advice about your housework too. I'm doing the same thing and trying to take things one step at a time and not get overwhelmed by it all...which I have a tendency to do sometimes.

JOYce, I hope you have a wonderful trip. You deserve some rest and relaxation. I hope your Sheltie has a good time too. Maddie (our Sheltie) is terrified of bad weather and she slept on my head all night after we finally got in bed. I finally had to lock her in the bathroom just so we could both get some sleep.

Jan, I can't believe that you had to stay up so late working on your project. You amaze me with all that you do and accomplish. I join in with Hottie and JOYce in thinking what an inspiration you are. You have accomplished so much and you are the "glue" that keeps us together. Hottie, I also had the pleasure of meeting Jan and saw her "before" pictures. She is amazing!!

Oh...I almost forgot. Tim (my DD's boyfriend) is coming home from boot camp. He is getting a medical discharge. He does have spleen damage from where he had to do PT while having mono, but hopefully we can nurse him back to health. The timing just wasn't right, but he is excited about getting home and starting college again. DD still doesn't know that he wants to propose to her soon after he gets home. He has gotten everyone's blessing, which I thought was so cute!

Well, I better scoot before the traffic gets all snarled up. It took me 90 minutes and four different routes to get to work this morning, and they are predicting more rain for tonight. You would have thought I lived in New York instead of Mississippi the way the traffic was.

Nascar Girl, I hope you had a great time at the race!!

Hi to everyone else. Have a terrific week.

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 04-07-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:35 PM   #5  

Kudzu-WOW! I'm glad you all fared well in the storms! You were very fortunate! Sounds like you had a horrible, horrible time with the weather-maybe the rest of spring will be kinder!

Thanks for saying that the key is to just keep plugging away at it-I have to tell myself that more and more. I just love to eat (obviously) but I am trying to make better choices each time I'm faced with food and I'm getting better at it
Congrats on your new "son" soon!! I know you will be excited with all the wedding planning!

I love dogs! I have two now and often "dog sit" for people..aren't they great? of course, I could CERTAINLY do without the dog hair! ugggghhhhh
I hope you have a fun trip, Joyce!

I think its WONDERFUL that Jan has lost over *100* pounds! That is another person! (well, a child!)...that is wonderful. I think that's what's so cool about this site: people are LIVING proof that it can be done! no false testimonies or anything-real live people losing real-life weight! AWESOME!

Everyone have a GOOD week!! And, NascarGirl..hope you had a fun time at the races--zoom zoom~
Old 04-07-2003, 09:40 PM   #6  

Janet, how awful about the storms, that must have been so stressful, all that driving, and then staying in the bathroom for safety ... whew! I am so glad that it turned out okay in the end! I am sorry to hear that Tim is having health problems, but have no doubt that with you and your DD nursing him back to health, he'll be better soon! Sometimes things work out for the best, and it does sound like going to college is important to him. Plus, now he'll have more time to get ready for a wedding! That is just wonderful ... Re: the staying up late, that's just because I am so slow at getting things done! And sometimes I just procrastinate a TAD bit! It all worked out okay; stayed up until 4, got an hour's sleep, and went to San Antonio to work with the group. I am SO tired right now, but am heading for bed asap!

Hottie, thanks for the encouragement! And you're right, persistence is the key. It gets easier as time goes on, too, as we form all these new habits. I enjoy food too (love to watch those cooking shows!) but you know what's funny? I think I enjoy it even more now than years ago! Now that I know I can eat healthful foods, even indulge occasionally, and still maintain, I don't feel guilty about it, so eating is a whole different experience. I don't know if that's making much sense!? Anyway, the most important thing is a positive attitude, and I know that you definitely have that! You will reach your goal too!

JOYce, oooh, Santa Barbara! What a beautiful place! DH and I went there once, planning to spend one night, and changed the rest of our vacation around to stay there longer. I'm so glad you're finally getting some "you" time! Enjoy the dgds' visit ... I know they must have a great time at your house!

Guess I'd better get some zzzz's ... I'm getting too old for these late nights!
Old 04-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #7  

Hi Bandit! Saw your post in the previous thread. Sounds like you are just having one of those little glitches that can happen from salty restaurant food; next week's WI will be better! You take care of yourself, and have a great week! Somehow it just doesn't feel like a Tuesday to me today ...

Gotta run. Dad's suddenly on an organizing tear, and if I don't watch out, he'll pack up all my cooking "stuff" and put it somewhere in a closet. Hard to cook without salt, pepper, Pam, etc. near the stove, but since Dad doesn't cook he sees that as clutter. Sigh. (We cook mostly at his house now, because he's more comfortable there with his big TV and all his gadgets.)

DH is baking halibut tonight, and I'm making a big salad, roasted asparagus, and fresh corn on the cob. I've gotta plant a few rows of that asap!

Have a great OP day, everybody!
Old 04-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #8  

Hi everyone!

The race was great with the exception that my guy got caught up in the 14 car pile up on lap 3
I did wear the pedometer on Saturday and Sunday; Saturday was a long walk to the track plus all the stair climbing 34 flights of stairs 1 way! so 8 miles that day... Perry was ready to kill me from all that walking he had to do! 4 miles on Sunday, we drove up to the track Sunday and left after the race. The weather was fair no rain but a lot of those tornados from Mississippi was on the way to AL when we left! All in all I did ok, lost .2 on Monday night. Thought it might be more from all that walking though

This time change has got me for a whirl I went from Eastern timein GA to Central time in AL then daylight savings time so I'm wacked! Hope everyone has a good week!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:23 PM   #9  

Nascar Girl whew, makes me tired just thinking about all those miles and stairs! Great exercise, musta been tons of APs! WTG on actually losing after a vacation trip ... that's great! I know what you mean about the time change; that has really thrown me for a loop, too. And my students are almost comatose first period, bless their teenage hearts! They need lots more sleep than they get.

Hi to everyone; stop in and say hi when you can!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hope everyone has a great week & gets in some exercise & stays within points range & drinks lots of water. These are my goals for this week.

Have a good one :-)
Old 04-09-2003, 01:48 PM   #11  

Angry

Hello all....

I can't IMAGINE having to climb 34 flights of stairs, Nascar Girl-MAN-o- MAN! My husband and I went to Bristol, TN for a race a few weeks ago (the only time we go is in the spring and the only time I've been is there)...we walked forever to get to the track, only to look up and see the non-ending flights of stairs. I am very THANKFUL we didn't have to climb up those, but had a lower seat! To walk 8 miles is a LOT! plus, carrying everything, plus the heat, plus the crowds--I don't think I could have done it-good for YOU!! We only had to walk a couple of miles to the track and that's it-for a total of 4 miles-I can't imagine doubling that!!

I am not "counting points" and really am not on any kind of "program" other than eating what I like/making more healthy choices and continuing to drink more water and add more fiber. I am down 2 pounds. I didn't weigh last week, but this week, I am down 2 since the last time I weighed. It seems like I am going to average 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week loss. Some weeks I lose nothing-others, barely 1/2 pound, while others, 1 pound. I must be doing what my body approves of, because I keep on going down (the goal!) WHOOHOOO!! I wish it would come off faster (doesn't everyone?) but at least I'm plugging away at it and eventually (like Janet Mae said) I will reach my goal--we ALL will!

I hope all of you are doing well this week. I have so many days when I have to "grab those salty snacks" and I just do it! It's just something I need to do for some reason...I eat salty things (my downfall) and I just grab a handful and that seems to satisfy me. I just try to add it to my guesstimated calorie content/total for the day. I try to eat about 1800 a day. I GUESS because I just don't have the personality to write down everything. I tried that, and it was just too restrictive=although it is a GREAT tool, it just is not 'for me.'

Have a great week, everyone!! it's "almost" Friday! YES!!!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #12  

Yay Hottie! Down two more pounds! You go, girl!
I know what you mean about salty snacks; I love those too. What I do is get a bag of those mini-pretzels and then re-package them in 2-point snack bags. I keep them in a jar (not glass, though ... too tempting) and grab one to take to school or on a long car trip. That way I know how much I'm eating, cuz if I just take a big bag of pretzels, I start to eat them mindlessly and keep going.

Tomorrow's Friday ... YES!! This has been a LOOONG week. Have been battling a cold, but feeling better now. Am hoping to make my April weighin this Saturday, but won't if I'm too close that morning.

Hope everyone's doing well and enjoying some spring weather!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:49 AM   #13  

Talking

TGIF babies!!

I am HAPPY it's FRIDAY!! WHOOOOHOOOO!!!

I hope each and every one of you have a wonderful weekend-full of fun and a safe one, too!

Since this is a "smallish" group, and there isn't much chance of having many viewers, I wanted to bring up an issue with you. I know it sounds "petty" and like I am "jealous"...maybe I am being both of those things, but it just dawned on me today about the "100 pound group" - I don't know, maybe someone here is the same.
I noticed that people who post on the Surgical Weight Loss section also post on the "100 pounds to lose" post. I understand (just from what I've read about the WLS) that supposedly, just because you have the surgery and lose pounds, you still "are supposed" to exercise and "watch what you eat." I don't understand how you need to watch what you eat because you could only hold so much.
I find it a little underhanded I guess you could say to post in a "need-to-lose-so-much-weight" post when,really, the post-surgical person has removed some of the barriers the "rest of us" have.
Am I wrong? Please feel free to slam me-it's okay! I really am trying to understand this. I have a friend who recently had surgery and she has lost 15# in about 2 weeks...so, the "watching what I eat" response on the one post is foreign to me.

I don't mean to negative-I am frustrated when I know how much I have to work to only lose a hopeful 1/2 -1 pound a week loss...
anybody out there feel frustrated too??
Thanks! I feel a little uncomfortable bringing this up, but I just noticed it this morning and it bugs me.
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #14  

Red face okay..I'm an idiot!!

Hello all,

I really am new to the message-board thing...I am having "revelations" today....I realize that this thread is for those on WW who have 50 pounds or more to lose. That's why I didn't know what "OP" was and had to clraify in a previous post.

I am not a WW member. I have several friends who are, but I DO have 50 pounds or more to lose (obviously)-I'm just glad I don't have 100 to lose any more--I did at one time!

anyway, there are so few members on here, but I did want to clarify....if it's okay, I'll stay, if not, I certainly understand! I swear, I am a goober when it comes to these things! forgive, please!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:20 PM   #15  

Hottie, please do stay with us! It doesn't matter that you're not a WW member; you have the same philosophy: eating sensibly, exercising, and taking the pounds off for good. And I can understand your frustration with the rate of loss, because it was very slow for me too, but I truly believe that this is the path to permanent weight loss. It's the years ahead as a slim person that matter, not the extra months it may take to see the number on the scale go down.

Re: people posting on appropriate forums, I think all forums should be open to anyone who is sincerely looking for help and offering their own advice as well. The welcoming spirit and the compassion that we feel for each other are the cornerstones of a forum like this. (Gee, if we were going to be restrictive, then I wouldn't be welcome in this forum, which I joined when it started over 3 years ago!)

I think people who have had bariatric surgery are very brave, and my heart goes out to them. From what little I know about it, it is a life-changing experience that takes a great deal of adjusting to. And since they must eat such small amounts, it's even more important that they watch what they eat, as they want to have nutritious foods rather than junk. So it does make sense to me. I hope your friend adjusts well to the change; sounds like she is doing well!

Re: people not reading your post, you might want to rethink that. I once posted a msg in a WW forum about someone who was pushing their particular diet on me, and unfortunately I mentioned which diet it was. People who followed that plan (not WWers, but still reading that forum) got really mad at me, when my post was really about dealing with pushy people, not about one plan being better than another. Whew. Never meant to offend, but I did.

Hope you have a great weekend! Not much happening down here; gotta catch up on some work, might go to SA tomorrow to help Dad find a new suit.

ttyl,
Jan
Closed Thread