Weight Loss Support - Share your #1 Weight Loss Tip HERE!

GotothegymOKAY
08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
I thought it would be fun to start a general thread where we can share one or two unique tips that work for us.

I'll go first:

1) Go to the gym during the time you'd normal night-binge-eat, and then go to bed after. You just saved yourself all those calories and burned some!

2) Don't kid yourself at the grocery store and convince yourself that you can buy those [crackers/chips/cheese/etc] and eat them in moderation. If you weren't able to not binge on them last week, chances are you won't be able to have the control this week!

Vex
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Don't deny yourself anything - just deny yourself having it all the time.

krampus
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
When you go out to eat, wear really tight clothes...you'll probably stop sooner. Ha.

SerenityDiva
08-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Keeping positive sayings in mind and empowering statements like "don't eat your gains" and I "don't" eat that versus I "can't" eat that.

mahtha
08-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Journal, journal, journal. I'm sometimes horrified when I'm sure I've been good, then reality hit once I wrote it all down and calculated calories.

katiekish
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
I agree with positive statements. I love "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and "One should eat to live, not live to eat." I really try to pay attention to when I'm actually hungry verses when I just feel like putting stuff in my mouth.

And chewing gum... gum has been a life saver.

scout83
08-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Take care of your emotional self. It'll make it easier to break from past bad habits. It will be such a struggle to change "on the surface" food and health habits if you don't address the root causes (what's going on inside). Not such a concrete tip but one that's working for me!

Also, write it down. I write down calories, feelings, meal ideas, reactions to food, etc. Might not work for everyone but it's helped so much to be able to go back and re-read. Also keeps me accountable.

dancingirl81
08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I know its been said, but it bears repeating by as many people as possible: WRITE IT DOWN. Every bite, every time. Even if you know its been a really terrible, no good, very bad day, lol. The only person you're cheating is yourself - and you'll be surprised how much less likely you are to have that bad day again when you've seen it in black and white...

...but also, don't beat yourself up. We are all human and this is a process that takes patience and, most of all, time. It's ok to go off plan occassionally, real life goes off plan occassionally :)

JohnP
08-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Educate yourself

camper67
08-03-2012, 01:01 PM
I have several. First,...don't punish yourself. You have to care for yourself and start loving yourself, even when you don't feel like you deserve it. Go outside of yourself and care for yourself like someone who really loves you would. Second, JUST DO IT. Third, if you mess up, its not over. Don't have an all or nothing attitude. Even if you are 50% better than last year, it will eventually show!

Mer du Japon
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
The top 4 things that worke for me:

Keep a food journal/track calories on my fitness pal or daily plate

Cut out all drinks except water

Find healthy food that you really enjoy eating

Eat plenty of fiber and protein

ValRock
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't look at obstaining from unhealthy food as deprivation.

Look at eating garbage as deprivation to your health!

camper67
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Oh and I have to agree with everyone else who said journal. I count my calories religiously. I have no concept of what eating normally is like. I MUST do this. Its just a way of life now and habit and I don't even really think about it anymore.

stimkovs
08-03-2012, 01:05 PM
one that i'm currently learning.

don't push yourself. don't over aim. if you need a break? take it. if you're exhausted? nap. if you're hungry? eat. if you're upset- cry.

Why? because if you ignore all of these, they come back five fold. I ate too little calories for too long? Started Binging. Exercised too hard and pushed too far? Injured spine (WHICH SUCKS), Was exhausted and went to work out? Didn't give it my all. Didn't eat when I was hungry? Binged.

Self respect and moderation are the keys.

munchievictim
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Educate yourself

yes, yes, a thousand times yes :D

I would add, be self-aware. Don't lie to yourself, don't cheat yourself, don't bury your head in the sand. And be aware of the good things too, how you feel and how your body is changing. I think a lot of us become overweight by closing our eyes to our own actions.

Thistleberry
08-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Plan ahead! Weighing your options and making informed decisions is the most important thing to keep me on track. Even planning to go off-plan is important when you need it.

karaheissman
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
My no. 1 weight loss tip: DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES :)

Prim2012
08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Educate yourself

This but I'd like to expound. It's just not educating yourself about healthy eating and exercise but learning about yourself so you're not frustrated trying an eating regimen that everyone else seems to losing a lot of weight on but you're not. Case in point, many people have been successful with mini-meals (5-6 per day). I would get so frustrated because I wouldn't lose weight with this approach. It was hard for me to be consistent with my schedule, I was often eating when I was not hungry and felt bloated, and it was overall harder to avoid going over my calorie allotment because I was eating more often (and eating a little extra each time). I found that my schedule and most notably my body responded better eating 2-3 larger meals (no I don't do IF which typically requires a more formal schedule of fasting) so rather than try to make the "more popular" approach work, I just went with this approach for me. The same is the case for Atkins which I didn't respond well to but through trial and error I developed the right balance of protein, fat, and carbs for me by tracking food against weight loss over a period of time (need about 3-4 weeks to see a pattern). There is so much debate about what's good for our bodies and weight loss (i.e. dairy vs. no dairy, should we eat fruit, how much fat is too much, vegetarian approach versus meat eaters, etc.) that you have to really take the time to read a variety of data and then develop an educated eating plan based on your lifestyle, personality, and other factors specific to you. This will increase your chances for success.

m3k
08-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Drink a lot of water with dinner. It helps you feel fuller faster and helps me stay fuller longer. Drinking water all the time is generally important, but I always eat less if I drink more.

Dottington
08-03-2012, 02:25 PM
1. Weigh and measure (with a food scale!) every gram you eat and log it!

2. Don't make a single change you cannot happily maintain for the rest of your life!

ValRock
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I have another one! Don't make excuses!

LeilaJey
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
I have another one! Don't make excuses!

The cake made me do it.

scout83
08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
2. Don't make a single change you cannot happily maintain for the rest of your life!

Totally.

ICUwishing
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
1. Give tweaks to your plan at least three weeks to work. Some changes show up slowly.
2. GET ENOUGH SLEEP. It is ridiculously easy to confuse the messages your body sends your brain when you aren't rested. A 20-minute power nap can often defuse a craving or binge. Sometimes all it takes is a 5-minute close-your-eyes-and-breathe. But naps rock!
3. Don't eyeball portion sizes. Measure, measure, measure.

JohnP
08-03-2012, 03:31 PM
This but I'd like to expound. It's just not educating yourself about healthy eating and exercise but learning about yourself so you're not frustrated trying an eating regimen that everyone else seems to losing a lot of weight on but you're not. Case in point, many people have been successful with mini-meals (5-6 per day). I would get so frustrated because I wouldn't lose weight with this approach. It was hard for me to be consistent with my schedule, I was often eating when I was not hungry and felt bloated, and it was overall harder to avoid going over my calorie allotment because I was eating more often (and eating a little extra each time). I found that my schedule and most notably my body responded better eating 2-3 larger meals (no I don't do IF which typically requires a more formal schedule of fasting) so rather than try to make the "more popular" approach work, I just went with this approach for me. The same is the case for Atkins which I didn't respond well to but through trial and error I developed the right balance of protein, fat, and carbs for me by tracking food against weight loss over a period of time (need about 3-4 weeks to see a pattern). There is so much debate about what's good for our bodies and weight loss (i.e. dairy vs. no dairy, should we eat fruit, how much fat is too much, vegetarian approach versus meat eaters, etc.) that you have to really take the time to read a variety of data and then develop an educated eating plan based on your lifestyle, personality, and other factors specific to you. This will increase your chances for success.

Excellent points. I was trying to stick with the "rules" of the first post but I agree completely.

In my case when I read that eating every 2-3 hours was critical to keeping your metabolism humming along I figured if every 2-3 hours was good every 2 hours was better. I'd wake up at 6 am to eat, and every 2 hours I would eat until my last meal at 10:00 PM. What a pain in the butt! Plus I was always hungry because I was never full due to eating these tiny mini meals.

At the same time I had read how important working out was so I was working out six days a week and doing HIIT 3 times a week on top of it. Didn't lose a single lb in the first month dispite eating very "clean" because I was very hungry and needed to fuel all the working out. A massive amount of effort was expended in those 30 days with very little result other than getting into much better shape. I was sooo sore every day and looking back I am lucky I didn't injure myself.

I figured I was just genetically predisposed to being fat after all my entire family is fat.

Everything I was doing at the time was based around the book NROL which had come hightly reccomended but unfortunately is not a great book as far as nutrition goes...

That said - I kept reading and got educated.

So ya ...

"Educated yourself" :D

freelancemomma
08-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Mine is the classic "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a rich person, and supper like a pauper." I realize this wouldn't work for everyone, but it's an excellent fit for my physiology and psychology.

F.

Lori Bell
08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
1. Prayer

2. Never, ever, EVER give up. It's not an option for me.

fresh15again
08-04-2012, 02:17 AM
I look at all the clothes in my closet that I want to wear that are too tight. I refuse to buy clothes that are a bigger size, but I will definitely buy something new when I hit my goal weight!

Jen2438
08-04-2012, 08:00 AM
I love this thread.

Here's my little suggestion: avoid eating at potluck/buffet style parties. Often you have NO IDEA of the ingredients of the dishes (or the cleanliness of the kitchen in which the food was prepared!). I always eat beforehand and only eat fruit or vegetables at the event. Yeah, I'm hungry when I go home, but at least I know what I've eaten!

Jen

starbrite
08-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Make a plan that suits YOU and YOUR lifestyle
Don't be afraid to say NO
Plan ahead
Be truthful with yourself
Face the scale
Drink water
Talk about/discuss your feelings about your weight loss. If I hadn't had the wonderful advice of several 3fc members, I would have given up.

cmarty
08-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Get support from someone.
Keep a log of choices.
Don't eat in between meals( I did this a lot just because I was bored or lonely)
Find out why you are eating ( bored,lonely,sad)
Drink 64 oz. of water.
Carry dressings and diet things you'll need ewhen you go out to eat.
Always plan ahead
Never eat in the car
Always refuse dessert...if you have to have some just eat a few bites
Weigh once a week

I am giving a lot of advice...but I have only been on a diet for 5 days..so maybe I listen to my own advice and yours

PinkyPie
08-04-2012, 11:37 AM
1) Be Patient. You may not have the same success as other people as fast as other people. You are unique. It's different for everyone.

2) Plan ahead as much as you can. There are a lot of things we cannot control in this life, but what you eat and when you eat it CAN be controlled.

3) Stop making excuses. Do or do not. It's very simple.

4) Log your food / drink intake somewhere every day. Make a commitment to yourself to do that.

5) Be willing to try anything and everything (healthy - I'm not talking about using wacky weight loss "drugs" or stuff like that). Stop saying I can't/ I won't/ and I don't. You are as limited as you make yourself be (this is for people without food allergies)

6) Relates to number 1 - do not compare yourself to others. There is no added value.

7) Be positive. Celebrate your daily victories. Don't be so hard on yourself - this is the ONLY life that you get, take the time to ENJOY it as well (and I don't mean with food, but birthdays, weddings, holidays are meant to be enjoyed; it's possible to have that happiness without overdoing it).

Bellamack
08-04-2012, 12:08 PM
what PinkyPie said #2 " This is something I can control, so I need to" There are so many things that we can't control in life.

I also agree with, educate, journal, uncover triggers & don't totally deny one's self. Good Luck all :)

luckystreak
08-04-2012, 01:30 PM
2) Don't kid yourself at the grocery store and convince yourself that you can buy those [crackers/chips/cheese/etc] and eat them in moderation. If you weren't able to not binge on them last week, chances are you won't be able to have the control this week!

This is so me right now omgg. I have so much "low calorie" diet snacks that I end up eating so much more than I used to. I need to stop buying them for good.

mirax3
08-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Accept yourself for what you are now. After 80+ pounds of weight loss so far, I have realized that losing the actual weight off of my body is not going to make me happy- it is my perception of myself that makes the difference.

Also, don't use one binge as an excuse for another binge. Pick yourself up and start again!

theone
08-06-2012, 11:19 PM
There is more to life than eating.

thinkfit
08-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Wear form fitting clothing as much as possible! I spent the last few years hardly wearing anything but yoga pants, sweatpants, comfy shirts, etc. and the result was a 30+ pound weight gain that I didn't even notice. :o

Kery
08-07-2012, 03:21 AM
First and foremost: doing a total 180 on my approach to food. Before, I had a kid's mentality: "I don't know that food, so I don't like it." This included pretty much every fruit and vegetable... :rolleyes: I conditioned myself to think differently. (Now people hate me because I always want veggies at every meal, and eat pretty much everything, including apalling stuff like durian. :rolleyes:)

Also: getting the negative talk out of it all (that was after I started developing ED... yeah, dieting made me sick in my head, sooo nice...). No internally yelling at myself and abusing myself with self-talk of "you fat cow, why can't you stop?". No more words like "forbidden foods", "I've been bad", "I'm not allowed to eat that". And no more self-defeating thoughts such as "it's the week end, I'm bound to binge since there's no school/work to keep me busy". That negative thinking would just make me feel even more frustrated, and then I'd binge in turn. I did my best to turn it into something at least neutral (it's food, mere fuel—not the Antichrist made bagel) or positive ("I can have bread... it just has to be the *best* bread in town, not some crappy ersatz... aw, only low supermarket-bakery breads around? Well, nevermind, it's not what *I* want now, so I don't see why I should eat it."

And I think it's something Krampus mentioned? But it's probably worth only when you're starting to reach an 'only overweight' BMI, because I'm not sure if those exist in the largest sizes: corsets. (I wer those because I really like Goth, Victorian and Steampunk-influenced clothing, btw, not to torture myself. :)) You just can't overeat *at all* when you're wearing a corset.

LaurieDawn
08-07-2012, 07:26 AM
I, too, love this thread. So much of it rings true, and some of these things do not work for me at all. It's like John said about the nutrition advice in The New Rules of Lifting books. They are clearly not written for severely obese women. I love the work - outs, and I have really increased my protein percentage intake as a result of reading it, but fat loss is way more important to me than muscle gain right now, so I will not be eating the recommend 3000 daily calories or so that the formula in his book suggests.

So - my tip is unapologetically doing what I believe is right for me right now to aid my weight loss. And if I'm wrong? I have learned more about what does and doesn't work, and have avoided the true disaster that is mindless eating.

Lunula
08-07-2012, 02:50 PM
1. Stop making excuses.

You are not too old. You are not too sick. You do not have "fat genes" or "big bones." You do have time to work out. You can buy healthful food instead of junk for you and your kids. You are not special when it comes to weight loss. There is no magic pill. Hoping and praying are not enough. Will power does run out, and you have to work past it. You ARE strong enough.

2. Stop comparing yourself to others.

There will always be someone losing faster than you. Who cares? The goal is to lose the weight forever, so concern yourself with you, not someone else.

ValRock
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Stop making excuses.

You are not too old. You are not too sick. You do not have "fat genes" or "big bones." You do have time to work out. You can buy healthful food instead of junk for you and your kids. You are not special when it comes to weight loss. There is no magic pill. Hoping and praying are not enough. Will power does run out, and you have to work past it. You ARE strong enough.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

pixelllate
08-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Imagine once you reach your goal weight or even start to lose everything "going wrong." People say you look fugly, nothing in your life is better, nothing changes except that you weigh less - I did that and it was still worth it to me, so I trudged on no matter what.

tricon7
08-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Keep your goal in mind and how you'll look when you get there as a way of thinking positively rather than thinking on what you can't have or what you're missing out on.

GotothegymOKAY
08-07-2012, 11:26 PM
When you are in a good mood, keeping busy, telling yourself you look thinner, and find something to look forward to, you'll naturally eat less and won't think that much about food that day.

AmyAmy
08-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Whenever I have a craving for a food, I'll log it into my fitday account before I start eat it. That way, if the calories are too high, I might decide not to eat it, or at least have less of it.

I always plan out what I will eat for the whole day the night before or in the morning. I usually tweak it throughout the day.

Mountain Mamma
08-10-2012, 02:42 PM
TONS of good advice here! I'd like to comment on Prim 2012

It's just not educating yourself about healthy eating and exercise but learning about yourself so you're not frustrated trying an eating regimen that everyone else seems to losing a lot of weight on but you're not. Case in point, many people have been successful with mini-meals (5-6 per day). I would get so frustrated because I wouldn't lose weight with this approach . . . I found that my schedule and most notably my body responded better eating 2-3 larger meals . . . I just went with this approach for me. The same is the case for Atkins which I didn't respond well to but through trial and error I developed the right balance of protein, fat, and carbs for me by tracking food against weight loss over a period of time (need about 3-4 weeks to see a pattern). There is so much debate about what's good for our bodies and weight loss (i.e. dairy vs. no dairy, should we eat fruit, how much fat is too much, vegetarian approach versus meat eaters, etc.) that you have to really take the time to read a variety of data and then develop an educated eating plan based on your lifestyle, personality, and other factors specific to you. This will increase your chances for success.

and JohnP --

because one thing that works for me is fruit for a sweet craving. I know this is blasphemy for the Atkins/SBD/etc. followers but whenever I have passed up a piece of fruit because of the 'sugar' that craving would grow & I'd find myself later eating cookies, candy or junk! Though I know the Atkins/low sugar/low carb diets work wonders for many, they don't for me. Everyone is different.

memememe76
08-12-2012, 01:27 AM
1. Eat only things you like. If it's healthy but you don't like the taste of it? Don't eat it!!!!

2. After dinner, take a walk. I am fortunate that I live in a neighbourhood where I have fairly easy access to a lot of amenities--parks, library, mall, grocery store, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. I don't count it as my formal exercise. I just put on my headphones and zone out. It calms me.

3. One day a month, don't drive. Walk to where you need to go. Use public transit. You will know more about your city and you will get in more exercise.

JossFit
08-12-2012, 08:07 AM
LOL, since it's your #1 tip, I'll only list ONE: :)

Be consistent!

No matter what path you choose, what "diet" you choose, what exercise you plan to do, just stick to it. It takes time to adjust to new habits, it takes time to figure out what works best for your body, and it takes time to see results!

What worked for you 2 years ago may not work for you now.
What your friend is doing may be the right choice for her but it's not doable for you.
If you don't see any inches lost or pounds lost for a week or two don't give up and throw away your plan when you had been getting results before. It happens.

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Well, there was more than one thing that helped me ...

1) eat foods you love, but only one serving

2) learn to manage your emotions & triggers

3) create a plan that fits your preferences

4) be flexible: learn and make adjustments

5) Persistence Pays: never give up -- no matter what!

:D

Elladorine
08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Stop whining about how unfair dieting/healthier eating is. Because yes, it's not fair that your sister/husband/neighbor/co-worker/whomever can seemingly eat whatever they want and not gain weight, but that has absolutely nothing to do with you and what's best for your own body. Take care of your own needs and stop worrying about what everyone else is putting in their mouths.

CandieRae
08-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Whenever I am feeling discouraged or I am about to give up, I just ask myself "Can you make it just one more day?"

Prim2012
08-12-2012, 09:04 PM
This needs to be a sticky! A lot of great advice.

ion
08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Whenever I am feeling discouraged or I am about to give up, I just ask myself "Can you make it just one more day?"

i love this, thank you. i'll be asking myself that.

mine is: hold yourself accountable. this means journaling, as a lot of people have said, AND it means self-evaluation. make sure your data is accurate!

pixelllate
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Forgiving myself. That helps me from thinking "OK I totally screwed up. Its over." I just think "It's OK, life has its ups and downs - I won't be 100% perfect all the time, take the time to feel better, and keep going."

juniebug
08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
The #1 thing that works for me is to plan my meals/snacks for the entire day the night before. I measure out everything, note the calories, and put it all in a tub in the fridge. Throughout the day I allow myself to graze and eat anything that is in that tub whenever I feel the need/want. I make sure I only add things that I like and it's balanced with fruits, veggies, dairy, protein, and of course a treat or two. I've found that by doing this it's really easy to stay within my goals and not eat too much of one thing, but a nice, healthy variety. I know that this may not work for everyone. I'm a SAHM who would rather graze all day than have 3 square meals, so this method works wonderfully for me! AND since I'm limited on sweets, I find myself saving that sugar free pudding cup for the last item of the day as a reward for staying on track!

Gabe
08-13-2012, 10:50 PM
My number one tip is this: deprivation is doomed to failure. Don't completely rule out foods if you can feasibly work them in. Don't make this a painful process.

My number two, close behind that, is make your program an idiot-proof routine. You need to be able to do it even when you're tired, stressed, sick, or cranky. It can't just be feasible on your best days; it has to be feasible on your worst, too.

shcirerf
08-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I finally quit listening to the "dumb, shame, guilt, excuses," voices in my head and started to listen to my body and learn it and learned to love it and all of the good things about it!:carrot:

Our bodies are amazing things! Free your mind and the rest will fall into place!

pixelllate
08-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Trying things out! If it works for you - that's GREAT! Some people can have moderation with everything, others can't. Some people do well on certain plans and others can't do a structured plan. Even if people say Oh this will def work/won't work/rolls their eyes - ignore em and be try to be open! I can't do cheat days and keep bread regularly in my diet - it is what it is and when I was honest with myself I was way happier.

jinee
08-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Watch the oil in your foods. If I am not watching it I fry in loads of oil or add too much of it to my salads.
Also I think writing down what you eat keeps you accountable and keeps a record of what works for you in lose weight and what doesnt.

v3r0n1k4
08-26-2012, 04:27 AM
If your hungry, put something in your mouth. Make it something healthy and nutritious that adds protein or fiber to your diet or some of your basic needs. Some days I keep 1/2 cup of cottage cheese in the fridge with a spoon in it and when I feel hungry I just go eat a few bites. 1/2 a cup of raisin bran is also good. Celery stalks or lots of diff produce can be chopped small and snacked on in between the day. Always have a quick fix even keeping some fruit or nutrition bars or a box of raisins in a baggie at work or in your purse. Its when we allow ourselves to get really hungry and famished then some co-worker or family member offers to share food or you see something delicious on the go and eat something you shouldnt.

Mark everything you eat. EVERYTHING. Unless you do or have been doing this a really really really long time, most people have no idea how much 3 oz of meat are or 2tbs of dressing. I took three sips of my sons choc milk last week and wondered... how much was that worth. It was the first time I tasted something I dont plan to mark or like a sneak.lol So I figured it out to be around 25 calories. I was excessive ok I know...but what if u did this kinda stuff 4x a day? 6? It all adds up.

Dont eat anything you dont like. Dont force youself to eat a thing. I tried spaghetti squash, hated it. Sure its 20 calories for 1/2 cup serving...but it sure didnt make me think I was eating pasta like some people say. I still have 2 more squashes...idk what Ill do with them. Maybe there is some way to cook it Ill like it, but if I dont...I sure wont eat it just because its only 20 calories. Whenever you eat enjoy it and be proud of it. Dont force yourself anything or ever eat for the wrong reasons again. I hate artificial taste of some diet sugar free products like salad dressing. If I use one I dont like, I just keep thinking "this would be so much better with..." and it actually feeds my cravings and desires with every bite for the thing I dont wanna have. Tasting the spaghetti squash just made me want some rice or noodles even more. What if I forced myself to eat it everyday or a few days it would probably result in me binging and eating a whole lot of rice.

Divide things into portions. Eat only half the bananna, nutrigrainbar, or muffin. Then eat the other half later...stretch it out. Once u have a few bites of something in your stomach your body will start to work on that (burning more calories digesting too) and you wont feel such an urge to have more or craving things so much.

These r some things that helped me out

irishcanary
08-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Intermittent fasting
Kettlebells
Karate
Working out 4-5 times a week
Watching the amount of fizzy drinks you have

PinkyPie
08-26-2012, 06:54 AM
1. Stop making excuses.

2. Stop comparing yourself to others.

There will always be someone losing faster than you. Who cares? The goal is to lose the weight forever, so concern yourself with you, not someone else.

Love this ^^^ so much!

Beach Patrol
08-26-2012, 11:59 AM
LEARN. How. YOUR. body. WORKS.

Just because South Beach (or Atkins or WW or whatever) worked for your best friend/co-worker/mother-in-law doesn't mean it will work for YOU. If you can't imagine living your life without potatoes or mac & cheese, then going low-carb is probably not your thing. If you hate counting every morsel you eat, then calorie counting or WW points just might not be your thing. You can try any diet - & tweak it! - to work FOR YOU.

And one of my favorite quotes: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

wiredkell
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Think of it as a Lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
Drink water!
Don't cut out anything, just limit yourself.
Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. (not overfull)
Get off your butt :)

pinksparkles
08-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Don't let the scale (or measuring tape) dictate your self-worth.

GardenBurglar
08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
1) Patience! Changing your life is not going to be quick or easy. It is a marathon, not a sprint.

2) Eat plenty of healthy fat. Nothing else keeps me as full and allows me to eat less without feeling hungry or deprived. Plus, the right fats (avocado, nuts, salmon, olives, flax) are incredibly good for overall health and encourage your body to drop excess body fat.

3) Don't believe everything you read in magazines or on the internet. Every few years we find out that the weight loss advice of the past may not have been the best. And what works for one person will not work for everyone. Plus, so much of what is written about weight loss is a collection of fictions and exaggerated half truths.

4) Don't touch fad diets with a ten foot pole. Seriously. I firmly believe that we shouldn't be doing anything to lose weight that we wouldn't be able to live with forever. How else do would we be able to maintain our losses?

5) Aim for healthy not skinny. When making moment to moment choices analyze whether what you are doing will benefit your overall health or just help you lose weight. I always lose the fastest when I am eating as many densely nutritious foods as I possibly can and keeping processed "food" to an absolute minimum.

6) Do what is right for YOU! Our bodies all react to things differently. Experiment patiently and listen to what your body is telling you. If something makes you feel out of control hungry or is too hard for your life or causes major GI distress or causes mood swings then don't do it. There is no one way to lose weight. There is no one way to be healthy. Find what works for you.

7) Lift heavy weights. And don't wait to lift until you get closer to goal. Start NOW if you haven't already! It helps in so many ways. Lifting preserves muscle mass as you lose weight, improves balance, helps prevent injury, makes you stronger, increases calorie burn for several hours afterwards, and makes your body look way better long before you've hit goal. I am still about 30 pound from my approximate goal, but I don't remember the last time my shoulders or calves looked as good as they do now! Even the last few times I've been this weight or even less my body wasn't nearly as shapely as it is now. Plus my stomach is much flatter that I ever remember it being and I don't have love handles/ muffin top anymore.

Clarity
08-27-2012, 03:38 PM
There's lots of good tips here. One thing that's helped me is the discovery that I love oatmeal. It's my new comfort food, so my tip is to find something relatively healthy, that you love and that won't trigger a binge--something you won't feel guilty about eating when you need that extra something for comfort.

thewalrus0
08-27-2012, 04:10 PM
1. Weigh and measure (with a food scale!) every gram you eat and log it!

Agreed. Especially #2. It's really important and I'm learning it more and more everyday.

I am also learning you have to take it slow and make one change at a time. Otherwise you'll overwhelm yourself.

PinkLotus
08-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Eat when you are hungry. Do not wait until you're famished before you eat - at that point, you're more likely to binge. (At least I am).

karrie3373
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Everything in moderation!
HIIT!!

Silly Rabbit
09-06-2012, 02:10 PM
If you want something done, you better do it yourself.

Okay, this sounds kind of vague, so let me explain: when it comes down to weight loss, stop waiting for a miracle. You will not just wake up one day and be thin, that's not how it works. If you won't do anything to lose the weight, then it just won't happen. It's up to YOU to do it. So make it happen.

hello sunshine
09-06-2012, 09:55 PM
1. Practice Eating in moderation - counting calories, measuring portions, learning about your nutritional needs and planning healthy meals
2. Choose the right exercise/workout - choose an exercise that connects with who you are so that you will have some fun and not to think of it as a chore
3. Be kind to yourself and make yourself a priority!