General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #1  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Talking Hey geeky girls...let's chat!

Hello ladies (and gents if you'd like to join in as well...I was just going for alliteration in the title ),

As the last thread I started here turned into a "let's talk Sci-Fi and nerdy stuff" thread and confused a few people trying to stay on topic, I figured I'd start a new one with a clearer purpose. So fess up! What are your favorite things that (from a stereotypical standpoint) would get you shoved into lockers?

Personally, I absolutely adore Firefly. It's about the shiniest thing in the 'verse. For books, I have a soft spot for Piers Anthony (SO MANY PUNS!), and for generally nerdy things I like cosplay, comics/webcomics (I have about 70 webcomics in my RSS feed and the number grows every time one of my favorites has a guest comic week), paleontology, video games (PC), and marching band. Surprisingly enough I've only been locked in one locker (by my band director, no less).

So anyway, LET YOUR GEEK FLAG FLY! (Yeah, that's totally how the saying goes. Shush, you.) Let the geeking out begin
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #2  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

i'm totally a late bloomer into the Harry Potter series. while all my friends read it in middle school, i'm a senior in high school, on the second book, and constantly talk about reading it.

the gentleman is buying the movies for me as i finish each book, and i signed up at pottermore.com to find out which house i'd be in (stupid hufflepuff. i really wanted ravenclaw!)

also, i love World of Warcraft. the boy knows this and regularly makes fun of me.
but i don't play many video games or computer games, so WoW is my guilty pleasure from time to time, though i haven't played it in over a few years. wahhhh.

Last edited by Ciao; 07-30-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I am a giant geek! Currently more of a gaming and shiny tech geek, but I am into scifi too. I think my favorite show right now is Fringe and it bugs me that there is nobody else into that show right now. At least I got my fiance into it!

As a measure of my geekiness, I bought a new car the other day...tell me what do you see when you look at this picture?

Besides the fact that it's a Prius c, I immediately saw that it was "Sonic the Hedgehog blue" and have named it Sonic

My mom keeps yelling at me that the car is "Royal Blue" but I tell her that it's Sonic blue.

Actually it's "blue streak metallic" if you want to be specific...

Last edited by sontaikle; 07-30-2012 at 07:45 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #4  
Stubborn.

I have the trial for WoW but unfortunately my fans DESPERATELY need to be cleaned, and this model notebook is known for being hard to clean. I also need to locate some compressed air. For a place so technologically advanced, the area of Japan that I'm in has surprisingly few tech shops. Every time I try gaming lately, my computer overheats TT^TT

My guy and I were playing RIFT together for a while. He thought that I was "being cute trying to share his interests" until he realized that I'd max-leveled a character in under 2 months Also, Valve is like crack cocaine for me...I'm HORRENDOUS at FPSes, but I at least try to play all of theirs because they're so well-made. Portal, TF2, HL = So much love. So very much love. I freaked out when they finally put out Meet the Pyro earlier this month...it was everything I wanted it to be and more (Incidentally, TF2 is pretty much the only thing that I ship fan pairings for...MedicxHeavy is adorable.)

I'm not going to touch Harry Potter if you're only into the second book...I don't trust myself to not drop spoilers on you. I used to be a very rabid Potter fan, but I started reading when I was 8 and kinda grew out of them some...Didn't stop me from watching quidditch matches at my university, but I'm less of a fan now than I was when I was younger. I haven't been on Pottermore, but all the various quizzes I took in high school placed me either in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. It was about a 60/40 split. I'd prefer Ravenclaw too...Gryffindors...well, they talk them up a lot in the books, but frankly I'm surprised that they get any schoolwork done
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #5  
Stubborn.

sontaikle: That's fantastic! You should paint rings on the side I tried watching Fringe, but couldn't really get into it. The fact that my friends were loud and obnoxious arguing over House at the point where it came on probably didn't help.

...aaaand now I'm going to have the theme song from the Sonic cartoon stuck in my head (the 90s one, not Sonic X)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

Haha, I was reading that original thread Hotaruchan and loved how enthusiastically the geekiness came out in so many.

When I was younger I did a little uber-geek worthy Dungeon and Dragons time. I've read way too many corresponding fantasy books. And I'm not going to lie, part of my hubby's seduction techniques included going through his own D&D book collection.

No band in my highschool, but I was part of the music class (1 class for the whole school, consisting of 20 or so of us ranging from grade 9-12).

Bad addiction to mangas... I blame my early exposure to Sailor Moon. Which my sister and I are both happy to realize easily transfers over to the next generation. My niece has been running around defeating evil with her 'purple powers'.

I can't dedicate time for WoW, but I love the old school predessors. Back when my hubby and I were long distance we spent hours playing Star Craft together. Almost broke up one time when he built a bunch of his Zerg stuff in my base and then switched the game from allies to enemies and destroyed all of my buildings. I didn't talk to him for almost 2 weeks... still kind of mad about that actually.

I read the first Harry Potters, but I get disheartened with things when they become too main stream...that's kinda lame of me actually lol.

My biggest geekness? Halo. I kick butt at Halo. Love playing online and owning a game. Please tell me there are other Halo players on here lol.

sontaikle: the sonic talk totally brought me back to 1995, I can still feel the 100 lbs of my game gear in hand lol.

Last edited by CanadianMomma; 07-30-2012 at 08:29 AM.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Ohhhhh Firefly. I never watched it when it was on TV (I wanted to, but my ex always had the remote in hand and refused to watch it, likely cause he knew I wanted to). My husband got me into it when we were dating, and I totally loved Wash.

Hmmmmm for me, pc gaming, currently Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and the Sims 3. In fact my hubby and I met on Everquest. He claims I seduced him, lol. I also love reading sci fi/paranormal books. I was always teased in high school for crocheting.
Also, my husband and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000. We have our favorites, but we're always up for watching ones we haven't seen.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #8  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Love Firefly, love Serenity. Love pretty much anything Joss Whedon does (JJ Abrams, too), including Toy Story, LOL. I started watching Buffy (and then Angel) when I was in high school, and that didn't help my status, but oh well, it made me a lot funnier. Never was locked in any lockers, and I wasn't an outcast by any means, lol.. It was kind of a popular show back then, so maybe it was okay, lol.. Now, I'm overly confident anyways, so I don't much care what people think of what I watch and enjoy.

I love action/advetnure stuff, too.. I'm an only child of parents who were also geeks. We watched old Star Trek as a kid, and all the then-current Star Treks, because my dad looooved them, lol.. I was the only one, so when it came time to watch all the man-action-adventure-blow-things-up-movies, I was IT there to watch with him, lol.

Currently the only shows DH and I are wanting to come back from hiatus are Bones, New Girl, How I Met Your Mother and Southland.

I used to watch Veronica Mars (LOVE Kristen Bell).. I made DH watch that on DVD when we were dating, thus turning him slightly more geeky... We've watched Buffy, Angel, Alias (love!), Roswell, Lost.. the list goes on, now that we got Netflix!

DH loves him some HP, but... I'm good.

Last edited by kateleestar; 07-30-2012 at 09:49 AM.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #9  
Stubborn.

Canadianmomma: I was a big Shonen Jump fan back in high school...a lot of them started going on too long and getting obnoxious though. I pick up an odd manga from time to time now to practice my reading skills, but it's hard because they use a lot of gender-specific Japanese and slang. I'm still working my way through Saiyuki Reload Blast though...I love me some Saiyuki.

I was playing D&D my senior year of college, but then I lost my group TT^TT I had a pretty badass half-elf monk though. I was playing with my room mates, and one of them was a witch. We made a deal with the DM that if I used flurry of blows, she could turn me green (just for the heck of it) contingent on me prefacing the attack by screaming "YOU WON'T LIKE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY." Ah...good times. I don't play Starcraft, but I love watching my friends play. One friend is really good (as in, plays with Koreans and occasionally actually wins) and plays Zerg. I liked sitting behind him and making different sound effects for all of his units as he was decimating people.

Unfortunately, like I said before, I'm horrendous at FPSes...well, shooters in general really...so no Halo for me. I did, however, sit at attention and watch two friends play through the entirety of ODST squealing every time I heard Nathan Fillion. He is the love of my life. I told that to my boyfriend before we started dating and he said that was fine as long as we could have a threesome

Canadiancutie: (Wow, lots of Canadians...) Wash is my favorite. Joss Whedon is an evil, evil man. I have a Kaylee cosplay that I drag out every once in a while...people claim that I kinda look like her (I don't see it, but whatevs), so it was an easy costume. I'm totally making an Inara costume once I'm down enough weight to not be ashamed to show my midriff. I WISH that I could do Zoe, but, well...I'm a bit racially challenged for that, and I don't know that her costume is distinctive enough that people would get who I was trying to be given that I'm white.

I haven't gotten Diablo III yet (again, with the computer running a muck I don't want to start anything with good graphics, get addicted, then not be able to play because my computer's busy s***ting the bed), but one of my friends back home is begging me to get it.

kateleestar: Joss is boss! I almost lost my s*** when I was re-watching Toy Story a few years ago and saw his name in the credits...The man is a magical evil genius. The Avengers STILL hasn't come out in Japan, but I've been waiting on that one for about 2 years now...can't wait...about another month...urgh...

Last edited by Hotaruchan; 07-30-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #10  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

I agree with Ciao. I didn't start reading Harry Potter until 2 years ago and now I'm re-reading it (I've read it probably 6 times now).

I'm also a HUGE Batman lover, which my coworkers joke about. I have hair bows, a purse, a million t-shirts, a phone cover, etc.

I'm a huge nerd when it comes to new technology, because I don't really own that much. Yesterday my boyfriend decided that he would sell his computer to surprise me with an iPhone 3gs and I am so stoked to get it. I never thought I would own an iPhone. bahahah.

I also just bought a wii last week since a lot of days I'm immobile and can't do much and I'm completely in love with it! Everyone laughs at how much I enjoy it because they've been out for so long and I'm just now getting one. I'm a huge video game nerd. (I prefer the classics more than the new stuff)
I also own an NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, Sega Saturn, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2 and a Gameboy Advance.

I'm also a sucker for medical stuff, since I'm a vet assistant. My boyfriend wants to shove me in a locker when I try to show him videos of surgeries we've done.

Last edited by tessendicott; 07-30-2012 at 10:15 AM.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Add me to the Firefly fan club (and anything else Joss Whedon)! My boyfriend insisted that I watch it when we first started dating and I absolutely fell in love. It was funny, for Valentine's Day this year we each unknowingly got each other Firefly gifts. He got me Season 1 on dvd and I got him a really cute pewter Serenity model keychain (among other things). He declared me a keeper at that point lol.

Also, of course, Harry Potter. 'Nuff said on that one I think.

I guess you could say reading is part of my nerdiness. I'm into video games somewhat, but nothing "hardcore" I would say. However, when it comes to books I'm seriously like a crack addict. It's an expensive habit though...I think I'm getting an ereader for my birthday so super excited about that!
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

I have the Battlestar Galactica box set complete with a cylon figurine.

Harry Potter, Firefly, Serenity, Caprica, Walking Dead, Matrix, In Time, Aliens, Star Wars, Star Trek, Hunger Games....man the list goes on.....Batman, Spiderman, Avengers.....True Blood!!!!!

@tessendicott - I am currently wearing a Spiderman Lanyard at work. It holds all of my access badges LOL.

I'm also a tech junkie. My first choice is always the newest electronic device. Case in point - Just got the new Samsung Galaxy 3S.

OH and some of you might get a kick out of this. I can't stand the family stick figure decals that people put on their cars. Fiance and I just ordered a zombie family decal that says "We just ate your stick family"...

Last edited by mammasita; 07-30-2012 at 11:46 AM.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm a geeky girl although I never thought video games were geeky, I thought they were just part of life

Although lately, I've been busy. I found Dragon Age 2 for $5 so I've been playing that in my spare time and I bought a ton of games from Steam during their most recent sale.

I've actually being trying to look into a project to do in my spare time (again, when I get some). I bought a book on R and started to read some of it initially. I was thinking of doing a mini project with some publicly available databases. I also found a cool, although older book, called the C puzzle book. Basically, it is a book of puzzles to help strengthen your knowledge in the C programming language. Note, I'm not a programmer (although I know how), it is just something to do for 'fun'.

I also am looking at doing some home remodeling though so after this week is over, that starts and again, my spare time disappears as I research what we will be doing. Although I did try out a professional software program to see if I could do some initial modeling on my own. It is definitely something I'll leave to the professionals though.

I don't watch too much tv these days and my current show (Weeds) isn't on the geek spectrum. I am a huge Buffy fan though and tend to watch that when I'm working out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Tolkien, heavy metal that revolves around Tolkien, Renaissance fairs, Harry Potter, Star Trek, not so much comic books etc and I don't care about anime. I listen to a lot of video game music and teach myself how to play various themes on the violin/piano. Huge fan of 8-bit/chiptune music, as well as Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, nerdy acts like that.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #15  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Anything geeky I have my hands in. I know it sounds like hyperbole but I am just a giant nerd and always have been. I am getting a little bored with Diablo III right now but I am into Blizzard stuff, I raided in WoW for years (too hardcore, I regretfully say), and I'm a giant Anime fan. So, any cons that come my way I'll be there. For consoles it's Xbox 360 and PS3 (God of War addict). Basically, if it's nerdy, I've done it or I am eagerly anticipating doing it!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote