Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #1  

Default Flying- and stuck in the middle seat!

So I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding, which is SUPER exciting. But I just bought the ticket today and on some legs of my flight, I have to be in the middle seat! It's about 4-5 hours in the middle seat and I'm a size 18/20. It's not until the beginning of August, so I have a month and a half to slim down some, but not enough so that I don't annoy my fellow passengers. I've never used an extender or been forced to buy two seats, but I'm still super worried that I'll be too fat to fly.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

You should be fine. Last time I flew was a 22 on top, and a 26 on the bottom (stupid pear shape), and I didn't need an extender, I flew Southwest. I've had to ask for an extender before, and it's not a big deal, just call the attendant over, and ask for it quietly, they won't make a big deal out of it.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I don't think that size you need to be nervous about flying it might not be comfortable (is it for anyone) but you are not that big in terms of flying restrictions. I worry about it but I'm close to 6' tall and a 24 uptop and a 22 on the bottom. I've flown when I was a full fledge 26 though and asked for extenders in my experience flight staff have always been kind and discreet.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Being in the middle seat sucks no matter what weight you are. If you're sitting with friends it's not so bad, but with strangers, bleh!

If you're not sitting with friends you can keep checking your itinerary online and see if any other seats have opened up and you can change them. Also if you're willing to pay a bit more, you can buy a premium seat for something like $20 if they are available. (I'd do that, I hate the middle seat so much)

I've flown at 280 and didn't need an extender on Delta or United, although the seatbelt was snug.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #5  

I wish I had extra money for a window or aisle seat. The economy ticket wrung me dry as is! I know that logically, I should be just fine to fly. I've always fit, even on those little pond hoppers. Flying just makes me nervous, especially in the middle seat where my fat could bother two people. It's a long red-eye though, so hopefully it's not too full.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I flew at that weight and sat in the middle seat.....it's just as uncomfortable at the weight I am now. You have nothing to worry about. Here is a hint when you have a choice of seats , pick an aisle seat, I would do that at any weight.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #7  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm short so maybe I'm rounder but I flew at 260 last December and the guy sitting next to me asked the flight attendant if he could be reseated and then when she said no asked her if I could be reseated because my fat was overflowing into his "area." It was humiliating. And yes, she reseated me far away from him out of pity for me.

I usually fly at least a dozen times a year and that was the first time that had ever happened to me. Normally, even in the middle seat, people don't mind. I apologize for being rotund and taking up too much space but most people don't mind. Hey, I make an excellent pillow. Soft and warm.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #8  

I agree that sitting in a middle seat at any weight next to strangers is uncomfortable! But with that being said, I don't think at an 18/20 you'll have any problem at all....I travel alone for work sometimes and I DREAD even sitting in a window seat. I always feel like I have to sit straight up and completely still the whole flight, as to not disturb anyone with my "overflow".....People can be such d-bags!
Junkfood Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #9  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I'm short so maybe I'm rounder but I flew at 260 last December and the guy sitting next to me asked the flight attendant if he could be reseated and then when she said no asked her if I could be reseated because my fat was overflowing into his "area." It was humiliating. And yes, she reseated me far away from him out of pity for me.
He said WHAT?!?!

Why...of all the...
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Just check your seat when you check in, there may be a non middle one available for free.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote