General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Diet Soda?

I understand from reading the forums that diet soda is considered bad...and I'm fully aware that it can't possibly be the best thing for you to drink. But I'd love to know some specifics about why.

I've heard the "aspartame is as bad as sugar" argument, and the calcium depleting argument. Is there anything else that I should know?

I have a mean Diet cola addiction so maybe knowing the facts will help me kick it.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #2  
Woman on a mission!!!

S/C/G: 211.05/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Hmmm I would really like to know the same. I have pretty much cut out soda from diet but every now and then I cant resist a diet dr. pepper!
shainasb818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #3  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

I can only speak from my experience, but I have cut ALL artificial sweeteners out of my life and my kids' as well!
I was never a diet soda drinker, but did have things like gum, crystal light, other light drinks, 'low sugar' yogurts, etc, things like that.

I wholeheartedly believe and KNOW that artificial sweeteners caused me to have a major frequent migraine issue, so much so, it led to ER visits. Funny thing is even the docs never asked if I consumed them. They just figured it was hormonal or something. I still get an occasional migraine during TOM, but nothing like I used to get them... I'm talking fetal position, shakes, can't open my eyes, want to vomit, pain like you wouldn't believe type stuff sometimes.

In my own google searching I put two and two together and cut them out. Once I did, my goodness, did things change, not only did my migraines dissipate, but I began thinking more clearly, I didn't feel as depressed, my fatigue (which was a big problem for me) lessened ... and overall my sense of well being drastically improved.

I could be a rare case, I truly don't know. I just know that I will never intentionally consume aspartame, sucralose, or anything of the kind ever again.

Defintely google up some info. It's all over the place out there. There has been studies about it also hindering weightloss.

Here's a little starter: http://healthandwellnessmagazine.net...ght-loss-goals

Again, not preaching. LOL My husband hasn't kicked the diet soda yet, but he's getting there. Just what happened to me.

Last edited by DaugT; 05-31-2012 at 01:35 PM.
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote