Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Is PMS without a period possible?

Good morning ladies. Sneaking in here for some advice (I still can't wrap my head around being 51, despite what the mirror and my doctor tell me).

For the last three days, my body has been acting like it's on approach to another period. Bloating, cramps, really intense carb cravings and the general desire to overeat, emotional extremes, very low energy. I've been eating way too much and have gained six pounds in just a few days. Last night I was crying about it...and all the dogs I ever had that have all passed, and how I now have a 20 year old, and how I was feeling guilty about leaving for my UK adventure on Friday...you get the picture?

Then this morning, game back on. No period actually started. Not feeling bloaty in hands and feet now. And cramps are greatly diminished. Energy is back up.

During the perimenopause shift, is it normal to experience all the PMS with no actual bleeding?
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #2  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I'm not dealing with anything menopausal, but I currently have an IUD, and I often don't have a period, but always go through the PMS routine.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I had a hysterectomy at age 41. I still had PMS symptoms about every 3 months for many years. My dr reminded me that I still had ovaries and was still cycling even without a period. Hormones are hormones
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hey! Thanks for the info, girls. I thought I was going mad!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

I don't know much about perimenopause since that is a fairly new term. I had never heard that term when I was that age. Is this your first time to not get your period or have you already started missing periods?

Like Rie, I had a hyst when I was young, at 37. And I agree that if you still have ovaries, you could experience PMS type symptoms although I did not experience this or if I did it was only in the first few years after my surgery. After having my surgery I actually felt better. I didn't have the type of symptoms you described but a I was a real ***** before my periods! That gradually went away after my surgery and I have been much more mentally/emotionally stable as I've gotten older (I'm now 69) although after I got into my 50s I started experiencing menopausal symptoms that are not so pleasant.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #6  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Yes, went through regular menopause five years ago and still sometimes have all the old PMS symptoms, skin flareups, bloating, backache etc.

And I just gotta ask, Chubbybunny, an IUD and you are over 50?
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/185/140

Height: 5'9"

I think it must be possible. I haven't had one for over a year and I still find myself getting weepy over nothing and going for half a bag of cookies I don't even like about once a month.
cher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #8  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
During the perimenopause shift, is it normal to experience all the PMS with no actual bleeding?
Absolutely! I actually went to the doctor last week for just this reason! For the last few months I've had all the classic PMS symptoms, but no period at the end. I was starting to freak out that something was really wrong. (or a really cruel joke as my kids are 24, 21, 20 and 17!)

The doctor assured me that this is quite common and and even more likely if you're on a low-dose BCP. Interestingly, I had a full-fledged TOM beginning the day after the appt and pap.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote