Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Eczema/Heat Rash and Sweating

So I have eczema, and I probably get heat rashes, and food allergy rashes too. My skin gets really itchy in certain spots, like behind me knees, especially after I sweat from exercising. I was wondering if anybody here experiences this as well, and if so what they do about it? I have a cream called Lyderm, which is higher strength than most OTC creams. I just don't like to use it alot, because it doesn't go in well.
spiritualflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I have had this all my life (have eczema and allergies too). The only thing I find I can do is keep the skin moisturised (unfortunately my skin doesnt like having the traditional, OTC moisturisers for a long time, so I have to use other balms, which get sweated out more quickly and splatters all over things like treadmills, great) and wipe it down gently throughout the workout if it needs it. Then shower as soon as possible afterwards and moisturise again as soon as possible after that. And keep moisturising after the work out for a few hours- I find that my skin will absorb lots of the moisturiser and then dry out again because it just needs more, so after leaving the gym things like my wrists and inside my elbows will dry out again, and need another application.

I guess you could try taking an antihistamine before the workouts, but I dont know if that would really make a difference, or if you should be taking antihistamines every day lol
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/225/160

Height: 5'6

Cool

Some moisterizers can make it worse try using cortizone, also if your skin is irritated rinse or dab it with cold water!
melanieburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I actually spent a great deal of time the other night research this because I have huge problem skin normally, and heat rash right now. Witch hazel is wonderful for heat rash. It soothed mine instantly and looked 75% better by the next day. It can be a bit drying though, so I follow up with CeraVe lotion (pricey, but worth it). I also use Gold Bond powder if the rash gets really bad. The stuff in the gold bottle. It smells very medicine-y but can be worth it.

I will say when I started looking around for solutions, the main "solution" I kept finding is "avoid heat and sweating." What kind of helpful advice is that?!

For every day skin care for my problem skin, I swear by olive oil right after showering, before I even dry off. It's a little oily, but after lightly wiping off the excess, I don't notice it on my skin at all.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #5  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I used to get REALLY bad eczema on my neck, honestly it was so bad that people kept thinking I was a burn victim The only thing that helped it was I would put cortisone cream that my doctor had prescribed in the mornings, and I would put this cream called "Neem Cream" in the evenings right before bed. That cleared it up amazingly!!! I hope it helps! You can find the neem cream at a natural store I think? lol
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanieburgess View Post
Some moisterizers can make it worse try using cortizone, also if your skin is irritated rinse or dab it with cold water!
Be very careful about using steroid creams everyday for long periods of time. It does say on the tube not for prolonged use. My doctors told me to use it everyday like a moisturiser, I did and when I was about 15 years old I noticed deep sort of trenches on my legs that look like stretch marks or like I have some kind of burrowing parasite or something. Apparently its from the steroids wearing away the elastic bits of the skin, which means it starts to sag like that. This will never go away, it might fade, but i cant get rid of it. So you know, be careful, and remember to read the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
I will say when I started looking around for solutions, the main "solution" I kept finding is "avoid heat and sweating." What kind of helpful advice is that?!
Haha- but make sure you keep your fitness up and manage your weight. Without sweating. You know. Just kinda be super human
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #7  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
Haha- but make sure you keep your fitness up and manage your weight. Without sweating. You know. Just kinda be super human
I have a friend that doesn't sweat. No joke. She just doesn't sweat. LOL It's hilarious. And it pisses me off but it's mostly hilarious, she always asks me "how does it feel"?? LOL~!!!!
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #8  
This is not a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelkitty View Post
I have a friend that doesn't sweat. No joke. She just doesn't sweat. LOL It's hilarious. And it pisses me off but it's mostly hilarious, she always asks me "how does it feel"?? LOL~!!!!
HAS SHE NOT GLANDS???

Seriously, shouldnt she collapse because of that? I say you are just working much harder than her tell her it feels amazing
Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/149/130

Height: 5'4"

I have a theory on that. When I met my boyfriend, it was at a gym, and he was orientating me on the stuff at the gym. So he showed me how to use the treadmill, and I was not sweating, or panting, but my heart rate was like 180-190, and he's like HOW ARE YOU TALKING RIGHT NOW WITHOUT BEING OUT OF BREATH???? I think it's because I don't drink water, like everrrr (working on it!!). If no water goes in, none can go out! lol. Or rather, it takes alot to make it happen.
spiritualflow is offline   Reply With Quote