Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:27 AM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Default Turtle Club #95

Hi, Turtles,

Here's my "official" version of Aesop's fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for several years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to in order to lose and keep off the weight. Our main focus is to become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

Lin
Old 03-20-2003, 10:37 AM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I'm glad your DH is helping you with your blood pressure deal. I hate having mine taken, but I actually have a reason. It hurts my arm. I anticipate the pain and that makes it all worse. It's better since they started using large cuffs for larger people, but it still hurts.

Do you believe you actually said that working out keeps you sane? I remember when you dabbled in exercise and resisted a really consistent program. That's so cool to see how things get better over time, don't you think?

Good luck with jugggling the three projects. I bet you not only get them done, but do a whiz-bang job. (I got tired of using the same old slang, so I dredged up an old expression. )

Torty, it sounds like you have a good plan for dealing with breakfase and exercise. Figuring out two challenges at once is a super thing. It feels great to make that kind of progress.

I'm doing OK. Eating too much, but TOM hit on schedule, which means it won't be too bad and I'll be back to normal in a couple of days.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 03-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #3  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Well, we've certainly been quiet of late.

Torty, although I'm not happy for you that you have the same emotional problems with getting your BP taken that I do, I AM happy that I'm not the only one who is this neurotic! I'm glad the BP medications exist, but I REALLY don't want to have to go that route until I'm considerably older. I'd like to put off taking major medications that are usually for an older population as long as possible.

Lin, hope TOM is winding down for you. You're right; I hadn't thought about how odd it is that working out now keeps me sane. It's a wonderful stress reliever. When I'm really fried, I just want to stay active all day.

I haven't been writing down my eating again, and it shows. Gack. I'm now 10 pounds above my virgin weight territory, which is appalling. I'm thinking that I may start back going to WW every week in May. Even though I wasn't losing when I attended, at least I wasn't gaining much either. I did walk a few miles this past weekend, which is something.

Work is very busy these days, but I will try to check in more often.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 03-24-2003, 07:32 PM   #4  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Torty,
I liked the turtle/tortoise tale. Very inspiring. I've got my little turtle figurine on my kitchen shelf and I'm looking at it to help me out.

Mousie,
Wow! All your hard work in your college courses is paying off bigtime. Glad commencement is so close. Good for you. Hope you get into your special project, as well.

Lauren,
I'm thinking along your lines. I hate to go back to WW, but at this point I am OP for four days, get silly and stay OFFP for a few days, go back OP, etc. All that does is stop me from gaining and I'm not happy about that. I "plan" on doing WW once I retire, but right now I'm so pooped I don't see how I could get there weekly. However, I also know that the year I lost 30 pounds, I did it by attending weekly meetings. I may go back sooner than planned. If you think it will help you, give it a try. You know, you're getting very close to your goal. Some people rebel at that point in their weight loss program. Think it's Lent or do you think something else is behind this? I know I've got a lot of hidden (and not so hidden) anger at my boss and that has played a part in my weight gain.

Lin,
Sorry about the PMS. You did beautifully last month and I know you can pull this all together. Good luck and thanks so much for keeping this club going strong.

I'm doing okay. Had a great weekend after a not so great (read as purely miserable) week. Today has been good and I'm not hungry, so that's a huge help. Right now I have my weight stabilized, but that's not good enough, so I'm planning on keepin' on with all the things I know that work.
Yes, the exercising helps my blood pressure. So does a machine called Z-Strong. (I don't know if we can mention this online) but it's a help to me.
Love and good vibes,
Judy
Old 03-25-2003, 07:28 PM   #5  

Hello Turtles,
Things are really not going well for me on the weight loss front- and it is all because of lack of commitment and allowing old (like from childhood) issues get to me. My mother was a refugee in WWII and the whole war scenario brings alot of that up, plus other family stupidity that is clogging up my thinking. I know that exercise and eating well are their own reward- you feel better, etc. I really need to re-focus. My trainer knows I work hard when I am with her, but it is clear that I am not on track with eating and additional cardio. I did walk more and harder the last few days on my own. I have not been journaling as I had promised myself. I think that is the key (if done honestly). I am hereby stating my commitment to journal EVERY day and really focus. if I get frustrated I am committing to getting out of the office and walking for maybe 10 minutes rather than thinking about what I can eat later..... I'll keep you posted.

Lauren- you are in such a critical/difficult stage. You have lost such a significant amount but are not where you want to be yet. That is a really hard place cuz you feel pretty good, you are wearing "real" clothes, and you are tired of the process. I encourage you to just hang in there and do whatever it takes to fight the backslide. (like maybe going back to WW) I was 25 pounds from goal after losing 60 and I tumbled down that slippery slope. I should have concentrated on my before picture and how far I had come, but instead I only saw how far I had to go. Hang in there!!!!!

Good thoughts to all fellow travelers on this wacky journey!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:25 PM   #6  
Chick

Torty,
I'm where you are right now. I've had a few very good days and I intend to keep it going. Somehow on the fourth day I lose my intentions.
So--how about we make a few small changes right now and make ourselves do those? We can always add more later.
Today I promise to stay within points.
Tomorrow I will add writing down my points.
Good luck to all of us. We all deserve to be thin.
Love,
judy
Old 03-26-2003, 09:14 AM   #7  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Words of wisdom there, Torty. Thanks. You're right -- I am in "normal" clothes, I do mostly feel fine, and I think that's part of what's making it so hard to stay committed. The other thing that's making it tough is this point range -- it really does feel more like a "diet" when I have to eat 27 or fewer points.

The past two days I've written it down, mostly honestly (), and yesterday I was actually within points for the first time in over a week. Yay! OTOH, today DH leaves for four days away, and I traditionally overeat during these times. I enjoy being alone for a bit (much as I adore him), and I tend to get into party mode! So this time I want to do things differently. I have a ton of work to do, even while I'm home, so maybe that will help.

Torty, I think this war is opening up wounds for a lot of people. I've seen some serious personality changes in one person I know who fought in VietNam -- his personality changes started after 9/11. {{HUGS}} to you.

Judy, I like your baby steps approach to staying on track. I've somewhat reversed the steps -- I'm aiming for writing it down this week, and then I'm going to aim for staying within points. The writing it down is so key for me. I've really been balking at doing it again, and I'm guessing it's because I've got just enough stress in my life right now that I really want to fall into unconscious eating.

On the other hand, the weather is finally getting nice (sunny and in the 50s today), which inspires me to get more active and healthier. And soon we'll have fresher veggies and fruit again!

I really am seeing the need to make veggie soup and keep it around the house at all times. I need something more to fill me up these days, and I run out of points so quickly!

Right now I'm aiming at starting back at WW in May, after our vacation and Pascha (Easter). In the meantime, my goal is to maintain, which should be enough of a challenge!

Onward and sideways (for now),

Lauren
274/188/188 by May 1
Old 03-26-2003, 11:43 AM   #8  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I wrote a long post, but deleted it. Today is not a good day for me to post. I'm feeling down because of some difficult things in my life and I'm fighting a really bad sinus headache. So I'm just going to say, "Hang in there, everyone." And post more when I'm feeling a little better.

Lin
Old 03-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #9  
Chick

Hey Lin,
Here's a huge hug. Whatever is bugging you will pass.
Lots of love,
Judy
Guys=gotta run, but I am doing fine. Passed up a pizza snack today because I really want to do this!
Judy
Old 03-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #10  

Hey Turtles,

Lin- (((((HUGS))))- there are just those times when things are not good and it seems like sometimes they come too close together!!! Sometimes you can't even say the glass is half full- sometimes you just gotta focus on it not being empty.

Lauren- great on the journaling. I think soup on hand is a great idea. My skinnie-minny always eating Asian friends seem to eat alot of soup (and also veggies) A quickie short-cut I have used for years is part V-8 and part broth warmed up in a cup in the microwave (technically zero points)- you can throw in a few shreds of veggie and even tofu or tuna or whatever and it really helps for maybe 1 point max with the adds. (plus can do at work in a flash) Good luck getting the "max" value from your points!

Judy- thanks for the encouragement on "baby" steps (does anyone love the movie "What About Bob"?) Your words were a good reminder not to do the gung-ho "I am going to totally be on track" thing and then crash & burn. Today I did water as a goal and it is going well.

To ALL: turtle-on!!!

PS: WARNING TURTLE STORY..... My baby water turtles are learning to catch their own food (as opposed to eating pellets)- the momma guppy in their pond had babies again the other day (just little dots ) and they were hilarious in their "stalking of prey". Believe me- those little things are hard to catch and they worked really hard. Now they are "strutting their stuff" looking buff and happy after all that perseverance. (O.K.- bit of a stretch but ......we will all be "strutting our stuff" soon....)
Old 03-27-2003, 07:06 PM   #11  
Chick

Hey Torty,
I'm all for strutting!
Love,
Judy
Old 03-31-2003, 10:41 AM   #12  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I've been somewhat incognito these past few days. I had the flu. Then I've been busy getting ready for my son and his friend being here for a week. Now, I'm coming down with a head cold, I think. It could be allergies, but it's acting more like a head cold. (sigh)

It's good to hear from you, Judy and torty. I love your turtle stories, torty. They're amusing and fun.

I'm hanging in there. I haven't been writing in my journal or counting points. I'm not worrying about it until after my son goes back to school.

My writing is going well, though. And my family is doing fine.

I hope things are well with all of you.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 04-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #13  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hello, tairtles. (That's Scottish for "turtles" )

Lin, I'm sorry about your flu and such. {HUGS} I know so many people who are down for the count right now. Must be the change in seasons. Oh wait, I forgot -- you don't have changing seasons in California. It's ALWAYS perfect there. Well, I hope you feel better soon.

Torty, I'm trying to imagine turtles strutting! It's a great image. Thanks.

Judy, good for you on passing up that snack!

I had an awful weekend foodwise, just ate too much. It was all healthy, but it was compulsive overeating. I pulled out my "Thin for Life" again and started skimming through it for inspiration, and I found what I believe my current problem is: one of the keys of "masters" (people who have lost weight and kept it off) is that they face issues head on instead of using food or other methods. This is what I've had trouble doing lately. I can tend toward a more passive, unstructured attitude toward life, and that tends to make me anxious. It also leads to overeating to numb those feelings. When I take control of things, face them head on, make plans, then I find I'm much less likely to overeat. I think I've hit on something here!

I walked about 3 miles yesterday, which felt good. I plan to walk a couple today, take my laptop downtown to the library and do some work away from the internet and cats trying to sit in my lap. (I can't believe they have dragonflies and mice in these emoticons but no cats!)

Amazingly, I was down 1.5# this week, in spite of all the overeating. I'm guessing that the exercise has kept damage to a minimum.

Onward and sideways,

Lauren
274/186.5/about the same until the end of April
Old 04-01-2003, 07:45 PM   #14  

Howdy Turtles,

Like that Scottish accent Lauren. Walking to another workspace sounds good. I hear you on the "coping" front. A WW leader once used the phrase: "Perfectionism leads to procrstination which leads to paralysis"- it is SO true for me when I do not face things head on and just deal with them but instead am afriad to mess up, do not act, and then it all goes "kaboom"- with the eating as a crutch. So if we know it- why can't we stop it??????

Lin- enjoy your family and hope you feel better.

To all the rest- hre's to "strutting soon"
Old 04-01-2003, 08:03 PM   #15  

Ah, Turtles, I'm so busy! I'm still here and still trying to keep up, but I've gotten really busy and am pressed for time all day lately.

As commencement gets closer, there's more and more details to work out. Aside from passing my classes (I'm in 8 classes this semester), I've had to worry about finishing paying my fees, getting my degree evaluation done, organizing commencement tickets/cap/gown/tassel/announcements/etc, and organizing the party my parents want to have for me after the ceremony. Add that to the fact that my sister AND my sister in law are both pregnant and both due around that time, and it's crazy 'round here!

I'm also trying to land this internship. Project Walk is a place that specializes in the aggressive treatment of spinal cord injury patients. Instead of just teaching them to use wheelchairs, PW actually tries to reprogram neural pathways and get these people on their feet again. And it's working! Since I want to go to graduate school to study NDT (neuro development therapy)(think Christopher Reeve), this is the perfect place for me! I'm waiting to hear back after the interview I had last week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Oh well Turtles, I have to go study again! I'm glad everyone is doing well, keep turtlin'!

Erin
Closed Thread