General chatter - Gym class memories? LOL

View Full Version : Gym class memories? LOL

pixelllate
05-05-2012, 10:34 AM
We must have our share of them right? I did at least!

Here's mine-OK you know that mile run we have to do - the Presidential fitness test I think? Well the phys ed dept thought it would give us further incentive to keep running if the kids who finished the mile run on the outdoor track would sit on the bleachers and CLAP every time the people still running passed by them. OK my mile was usually like 15 min and I heard that you can power walk a 13 min mile :?:
Uh the claps had the opposite affect-by then I was so slow that the bleachers were crowded, clapping away as I trudged on. AH no fun haha. =)
And I couldn't do a single proper pushup.
Oh and we also had to take a swim test too. Part of it was treading for 1 minute. Well I could do that but I had no more energy to move beyond that and I began to realize that I was going to tread and then sink. So I panicked at the last second, and without giving her a warning, I grabbed the shoulder of my All American swim team classmate and she "led me to shore"

Amy23
05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
All I remember about my HS gym classes is doing anything and everything to worm my way out of them. I was always so self-conscious that I dreaded each and every gym class!

Sally Pineapple
05-05-2012, 11:00 AM
The cruel memories this brings up.
Whenever I hear "Classical Gas" playing it takes me back to Jr High School since we did aerobics to it before aerobics was even a word in my vocabulary. Guess that teacher was ahead of her time.
The two meanest memories is when they would test how flexible you are. I could make my hands go way pass my feet and they insisted it couldn't be done with my "big gut". Yet they were seeing it with their own eyes and the other was when I actually did the full mile without walking (It was a very very slow jog) and being called a lair when I finished.
Oh the joys of gym class.

sontaikle
05-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Ugh the President Fitness Test. I would pretend to trip and fall so I could avoid doing the mile. I remember my gym teacher getting pissed whenever I did and I would get in trouble. It's like, WE NEVER DO THIS IN GYM, HOW CAN YOU EXPECT US TO MAGICALLY RUN A MILE?

Gym class was awesome in high school though. I went to an all girls school so I didn't have to compete with the boys. A lot of times gym class was just us having fun playing some game like kickball. I have always had a strong kick (thank you, years of soccer playing) so people wanted me on their team

chickadee32
05-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Holy moses, I used to DREAD that Presidential physical fitness test every year. I had no problem with anything except running the mile, but I would be sick to my stomach with anxiety for months beforehand over having to run. I was relatively fit in other ways at the time (I was a varsity diver throughout high school and had lots of flexibility and strength), but I hated, hated, hated running, and I was terrible at it. Miserable. That's why I find it so funny that I choose to run now, and even odder that I actually love it. Who knew THAT would ever happen???

The other thing I hated was the annual square dancing in gym class. I'm still not sure what we actually got out of that!

I do remember loving playing floor hockey though (really fun to be encouraged to be aggressive for a change!), and the cross-country skiing in the winter.

Emmcakes
05-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I used to have to run 3 km every gym class for the last two years of high school (and for some reason I never got better at it). Once I actually threw up from pushing myself too hard, and at least half the time I felt like I was having a heart attack. The worst part was that I was so embarrassed about breathing heavily and being in pain that I tried to control my behaviour...which made it worse. My teacher was always yelling at me and made it clear she didn't think highly of me, I guess she just thought I was lazy. What really got to me is that I always did my best and always participated even though I dreaded gym class but I was always singled out as being the worst!

One day she had yelled at me so much that at one point, in front of the whole class, I started crying and yelled at her to leave me alone and asked her why she was always on my back (I have no idea if this expression translates from French). That was probably my worst gym class moment.

mandalinn82
05-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Confession: When I got to goal, I re-took the entire President's Physical Fitness Test, just to prove I could test in normal range for my age. We also regularly did a 2.4 mile run out to a local bridge and back, called the "Bridge Run"...yeah, I drove to my hometown and did that, too, under the time they called "good" back in HS.

I was both fat and had bad knees, which my gym teachers thought was just an excuse because I was fat (two knee surgeries later, I'm pretty sure they were wrong, but hey, what do I know?). Once I got a doc note, I was able to just walk around the track for most PE periods. But I still couldn't get out of those damned fitness tests.

ddc
05-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Oh gosh, I was the last one in my class to finish the mile run around the gym (it was more like walking) and everyone was sitting on the floor watching me. I was so humilated.
I was also the last one picked for teams when we played basketball or volleyball.
They would always put me on as guard on this one particular girl who was a lot faster than me. Man, how I hated that.

aseret123
05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
These gym classes sound awful, we never had to do anything like that at my school! Definitely have an embarrassing gym glass story to share though! I bent down to pick up a ball in a tennis lesson and was so large that I ripped my pants - everybody could see my underwear. I ended up having to tie my jumper around my waist to hide it, as the teacher wouldn't unlock the changing rooms so that I could put my regular uniform back on :( never could understand why she disliked me so - I always tried my best!

Only Me
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I hated gym class because I am rather uncoordinated and suck at ball sports because I'm not that great with hand/eye coordination. Being really far sighted and having amblyopia will do that. OTOH, I did ride my bike around, go to the park and do monkey bars, etc. a lot. I remember in grade 7 or 8 doing some fitness test that involved pushups., among other things and getting an excellent on the push ups section. Several people refused to believe me because they were good at ball sports and got a lower score.

kirsteng
05-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Add me to the vomiting group! :barf:

I was always fat/fit, playing volleyball, basketball and doing track and field. But I was a lousy, heavy, slow runner and I just hated it. My gym teacher one year (mrs. wiles, still remember her) decided I would be her pet project to get to run a mile in under 10 minutes. So she ran with me, not letting me stop to walk or slow down. I crossed the finish line at 9:40, and promptly vomited on my sneakers in front of the whole class.

Good idea, Mrs. Wiles! :devil:

Eruanna
05-06-2012, 02:29 AM
The terrible terrible gym shorts!!!! They were maroon, made from towling fabric, and they looked like diapers as they had no legs to them! I can't imagine they would be allowed to wear them today

Exhale15
05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Ugh, I had erased that from my memory. The squat thrusts and the sit ups, and the volley ball where I always got smacked by the ball. Our uniforms were light blue stiff cotton with snaps down the front. And shorts that had elastic along the bottom of the leg - they looked like those diaper trainer pants kids wear. And the gym was located so everyone in the school could look down from their floors and watch :cry: And the teacher was tough and never smiled - just blew her whistle over and over. And then in the locker room the 'developed' girls would parade around and the rest of us would almost want to put our uniforms on over our gym clothes because we didn't want to get undressed....

I think I need to lie down..... :dizzy:

fitness4life
05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Wow. After reading everyone's posts, I have so much to say.

For starters, I was and still am a regular sized person. I became a gym teacher as an adult.

That said, my friend, who was on the gymnastic team, and I, during the presidential fitness testing, would cheat.

I am lanky but can run well. She is short but had amazing flexibility. We had a class of 890. 6 gym teachers. We knew that there was a make up day if you missed one of the tests. She she and I would skip gym on the days we sucked at one event. We would go to the make up day and I'd say I was her and she'd say she was me. I ran the mile for her. She did the sit and reach for me. (she got the better end of the deal, admittedly) so that we both always won the Presidential Fitness patch every year of High School.

I think of that and laugh. Those patches mean NOTHING now and really never did. As athletes, though, I suppose we would feel shameful if we didn't earn them. Being teen agers, we didn't care that we never actually earned them anyway. LOL

When I was teaching gym, I always trained for the test. I really hope that none of my students can report the same memories listed here. I tried SO hard to be empathetic and train kids rather than spring it on them and have them degraded publicly.

Spring forward to now. A gym member where I work suggested I have an in-gym competition (for those interested only) that we do a "can you beat an 8th grader) in the 5 areas of the Prez fitness testing.

I think now that I won't. Might need to bring in therapists if we do! LOL

I'm sorry you guys had sucky gym teachers. I really hope that the current teachers have changed their ways.

I do know that they no longer do the Prez Fitness challeng like they used to.

LeilaJey
05-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Presidential fitness test sounds pretty crap alright, we didn't have that but I supppose we had something similar. In first year (start of our version of high school, age 13) I remember one class where we had to run up and down the gym until we couldn't anymore. So we all set off in a line doing this and I'm not sure exactly how many times I ran but I was the first to drop out. I really really tried to keep going but I would just have gotten sick so I sat down. I remember how terrible I felt and I remember the girl who ran for the longest (100+ times more than me) was a ***** haha :D

When being picked for sports I wasn't always last but often very close to it. One day we were playing basketball and I was really good and scored from pretty far away from the net. Everyone was just amazed and turned around and this girl from the basketball team asked me if I wanted to join. I declined. She had been pretty shitty to me before too and I had no desire to be her friend or help out her team.

samcakes
05-07-2012, 09:54 AM
i had a really terrible leg break in 5th grade and never had to run the mile after that! but before that i ran about an 8 minute mile, and was extremely flexible. even at my current weight i can reach over a foot past my toes! i really loved gym class until high school, when kids start to get mean about your size.

lucky for me my high school had a 'walking' class. and my teacher was a professional sumo wrestler that couldnt go on the walks with us, so as long as we all showed up at the same time we could just skip class.

ValRock
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
OMG I HATED fitness testing!

I have vivid memories of being the last person on the track, by a longshot. I think my mile time was over 16 minutes... and I felt like I was going to die!

The barhang. OMG the barhang. I still can't do it! I was the only one in my class that couldn't, back then. It was humiliating.

Exhale15
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I wonder how different our lives would have been if we had been encouraged and supported by our gym teachers and not tortured.....

joyc21
05-07-2012, 10:51 AM
When I was in high school I used to hate swimming days. Not because I didn't like to swim, but because I hated the hassle of having to do my hair afterwards. So almost every Wednesday my "mom" would write a letter saying that I couldn't swim because it was my TOM :) I'm sure my gym teacher must've known better but she never said anything.

Nadya
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I remember hating my gym teacher because she was a bi.... Gym went from being fun in elementary school to being a pain in the *** in middle school. I was practically tortured, I hated it. I was slow, I wasn't flexible, I was self-conscious, and I had begun developing stretch marks despite not being a single pound overweight.

I remember pushing myself to complete...the mile I think?...as fast as possible just so I wouldn't be the last person on the track. I pushed myself so hard that my breathing picked up to a ridiculous pace, my face was beat red, I was dripping sweat, and I had to go to the nurse's office. My Mom ended up having to pick me up because my heart rate took forever to come down.

I missed the days of playing under a multicolored nylon parachute during gym class...that was fun.

http://catalog.helpinghandsteacherstore.com/images/edu/big/TCP/MAS_P6.gif

krampus
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
I ate bagel sandwiches during gym class in high school. The 12 minute walk/run absolutely KILLED me and it took hours to recover.

BuddysBuddy
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
They didn't have the presidental fitness test when I was in elementary school , and in high school I was exempt from gym because I was in the band ! Yay ! BUT, we had the same gym teacher for all 8 years in elementary school and the male teacher always wanted us to "climb the rope". A rope hung from the rafters of the 3 story gym and everyone had to try to climb to the top. Extreme humilitation, I never could get over a couple of feet. There were boys(and girls) that would shimmy to the top and then drop down to the thin mats below. I can't believe that was even close to safe.

Latchkey Princess
05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I almost didn't graduate high school because of gym. I hated it. I failed it a few times in grade school/jr high for not dressing. In high school there were times I didn't have to take it because of marching band, and times I could take it after school with the other band/choir people (I still almost never showed up), and that one quarter I joined my school's ROTC just so I wouldn't have to take gym, but my freshman year I had to take regular PE. It SUCKED. It wasn't the teachers either, it was just gym class. I can't believe that during those awkward formative years where just about everybody hates something about themselves (or just plain hates themselves) that they make us throw on shorts and thin shirts (or swimming suits if it's a swim day) and parade in front of the other students showcasing our athletic skills or lack thereof. There HAS to be a better way to keep physical activity a part of a teenager's life.

At any rate, I didn't hate gym because I wasn't athletic. While there were others who were more athletic and better than me, I was strong, built for short but intense bursts of power and speed. All through jr high I was the 3rd fastest sprinter in my class, I maxed out on the leg press my freshman year of high school when most of the GUYS couldn't press more than 175 or so. And I loved sports, played softball and soccer until my self-consciousness got the better of me. But people still laughed because, "here comes the big girl". I also developed way earlier than most of my classmates, and that made gym a nightmare, especially changing in front of other girls. I am STILL an expert at undressing and redressing without showing one inch of indecent skin. My worst gym class moment... Had to be one of the times I was dressed to take gym after school with my band friends. One of my friends (a guy) who had probably never seen me in shorts before since I never wore them said "Wow, you have HUGE legs! Like weight lifter legs!" I know he totally meant it as a compliment, he was really into strength and power lifting, but still... That was when I stopped going to those after school classes and almost failed high school. If I hadn't transferred schools the next year to a school with different PE requirements I would have been held back so I could obtain the correct number of PE credits to graduate. Whats crazy is, until he said that, I actually thought my legs were one of my best features (short tho they might be).

ETA: The only thing I liked about gym was when the coaches let us play tackle football. Everybody wants the big girl on their team for tackle football!

imnotperfect24
05-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I did EVERYTHING in my power to get out of Gym class. I had a lot of sprained ankles and stuff. ;)

But one of my most embarrassing stories is: we were playing kickball and I went to go kick the ball and totally missed it. I ended up falling and really hurting my shoulder. Plus it was in front of the guy I liked (who happened to be one of the most popular kids in the school.)

Aunrio
05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
I didn't have a traumatic experiences in high school. That was a piece of cake, you could take a semester of bowling or country line dancing. I was overweight but so were a lot of other students. However, my elementary experience was interesting. Mr. Andrews was a stereotypical gym teacher who used to count out for you during the fitness test with numbers followed by the phrase tubby tubby. So my two pull ups went " one tubby tubby, two tubby tubby. He also made derogatory comments to all the overweight kids. I remember one girl, Tina, got the worst of it. I guess he was under some misguided delusion that the teasing would make us lose weight when the opposite happened. Anyhow, when I was 15, I remember running into him and he was overweight and standing outside of McDonalds smoking.

pixelllate
05-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Did anyone else hate volleyball? I could not for the life of me serve or whatever it is - I just didn't have that coordination. I got so nervous when it was my turn I used to mess up the "order". When we would all switch positions I would run away to some other spot so that it would never be my turn lol

Jordana531
05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I got in trouble for not finishing a mile in under 17 minutes. My teacher actually yelled at me and told me if I loved myself enough I wouldn't be shoveling food into my mouth and would excercise more. She didn't have a job for long after that :-)

Goody3shoes
05-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Oh PE class. lol The bane of many a persons existence. Middle school was worse for me than H.S., especially since I was only in one semester of high school before going to home school.
In middle school, the mile and the pacers were the worst. Running from one side of the gym to the other to see how many times you can do it, all to really lousy music, and I had an undiagnosed heart condition so my heart would flip out every time I would run and I wouldn't know why. Plus we had a tough female couch who was quite hard on those of us who aren't very sporty.
High school was way easier. I had a guy teacher. I had already...developed... by then so things were...tough. I wasn't overweight, but I was a 32DD so running was distracting to the guys, so they would hoot and holler. My friend and I would always cheat...on everything physical. Instead of running four laps, we ran 3 and the teacher marked us for four, when we played volleyball my friend and I would sneak into the area behind the courts and play texas hold em. (it was really funny when the teacher found us, and joined the game). One time, I didn't want to even walk the mile, so my very adorable very large guy friend just carried me. Usually the teacher would just let us all hang out in the gym and my friends would play seven minutes in heaven in the heavy drapes lol.
Home school PE was...awful. My grandmother was my teacher so her idea for my pe class was....Dancing with the Oldie...oh Richard Simmons, you still haunt my dreams. lol

sontaikle
05-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Did anyone else hate volleyball? I could not for the life of me serve or whatever it is - I just didn't have that coordination. I got so nervous when it was my turn I used to mess up the "order". When we would all switch positions I would run away to some other spot so that it would never be my turn lol

Me!! I had horrible upper body strength until a few months ago. I could not throw or serve anything for my life in high school! It was the soccer, kickball, etc. that I was good at.

Ironically my upper body is now stronger than my lower body :dizzy:

Quiet Ballerina
05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
At first I was going to write mostly positive things...in high school I remember it was FUN on the days we got to do Tae Bo in gym class. Other days we'd walk a mile each way to the all-boys school down the road (in the gross gym shorts and baggy tshirts...fun...?) But my coach was nice and really encouraged us. My school didn't do the President's Fitness Test.

....but then I started to remember some of the not-so-fun times.
In middle school I remember a coach (might have been a substitute coach) fussing at me and calling me out in front of all the other students during volleyball. She was talking (so we weren't playing yet) and I had my arms crossed. So she was fussing at me; asking how I was going to play volleyball with my arms crossed.

I remember walking the track a lot in Elementary School...and I know the students were working towards a goal of some sort...but I can't remember what the goal was. :) Every time you went around the track you got a marker line drawn on your hand.

Amy8888
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Geez, I'm the number cruncher for a school district and I just got the most random "request" (more like a demand with no please or thank you) from one of the gym teachers. He wants me to create norming data for the number of sit-ups, scores on a shuttle run, etc. and run a one-page report for each student in grades 1-6 (2500 students). And he didn't specify but I am guessing he wants it by the end of the school year in two weeks. And I have only received data from one school (out of 9).

All I can think is that he is a bully gym teacher with his students and he bullies everyone else in his life too. And this is based not only on the tone of his email, but on many of my school experiences in gym (although I honestly had some really good gym teachers as well).

I feel like if I had more freedom in gym class I might have learned to enjoy exercise much earlier in my life. The running around a track in tight polyester shorts and always being last did nothing to motivate me. Having to play volleyball in a group and being publicly humiliated day after day in front of my peers made me think exercise and games are bad. It was only in college, when I voluntarily went to the campus gym and could try out exercise equipment at my own pace to my own music that I started to understand that exercise was a good thing.

jules1216
05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I remember the terrible zipper in the front one piece gym outfits we had to wear......I have no horror stories...

I do however have a proud mama story...
my son went to a Christian school for one semester...at public school he ran a 6 minute mile...so of course during the gym class when there was a race he won hands down...did that make me proud...no what he did next is where that moment come in...after he was done he ran back and cheered the ones that were in last place on and ran with them...piggy backed one boy who was having troubles to the end......did he tell me this story...no the parent of one of those kids in last place did....

saef
05-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh gym class, how I hated thee. Let me count the ways:

1) Having to buy a gym suit, a one-piece polyester outfit with a striped top and tight shorts. I never wore shorts in my daily life. I hated my fat legs. The mean girls had told me they were "stumpy" and called me Stumpy. They said things about how big my hips and butt were. Now I was going to have to put on clothes cut to emphasize these very publicly shamed features and show myself in front of everyone. Including the boys' gym class.

2) Having to undress in the locker room, in front of malicious girls who commented on my body, and put on those clothes in front of witnesses. And later, if we were yelled at because we ought to shower -- there was no way I was going into that communal shower area with a short towel that barely wrapped around me -- having to wet down my head so it looked like I'd showered.

3) Having to put on a bathing suit for swimming. If getting changed into gym clothes was bad, changing into a bathing suit was even worse. I refused, because I would not go out shopping for a swimsuit, and sat on the bleachers and got marked "fail" for that part of the semester.

4) Walking around self-consciously, full of anxiety, afraid of the bullies, for some reason did nothing for my hand-to-eye coordination skills or other skills, so I was the one who missed pitches, lost catches, couldn't serve, couldn't hit the ball. Do you know how many times I sprained a finger on the volleyball from an unbalanced uncoordinated slap? Over & over again. I spent about a quarter of my middle school years walking around with a plastic splint on some finger or another. (Which at least got me out of gym class!) Also, another coping mechanism that I used was to tune out my surroundings and fall into daydreams, writing stories in my head, which made me very inattentive in class. I got hit on the side of the head in the ball many times. I didn't hear instructions on many occasions and did the wrong thing or wandered out-of-bounds. Really I wanted to sit down with a book somewhere and let everyone else do whatever they were doing on the fields.

5) My physical ineptitude made me one of the last chosen for any team sport. So I was constantly reminded of my lowly place in the school's totem pole. I got some respect as years went by for being really smart & for winning prizes as a student writer, but in gym class, that dissolved, because the kids in my section were replaced by a lot of disaffected kids who were not particularly fond of my kind. If they couldn't score better than me on tests, or get into the classes I was taking, at least they could smack me or mutter things about me in gym class.

6) The President's Fitness Test always seem to spring upon us as a surprise, just when I thought maybe we'd skip it or it would happen on a day when I was out. And I remember my heart pounding and every breath hurting me and my body failing me, not doing what I begged it to, and me being way behind ... and falling further behind.

It's one of the most astonishing developments in my life, that I have ended up as someone who voluntarily goes to a gym to work out EVERY SINGLE DAY, seven days a week, even on holidays.

One clear answer for this stands out for me: No team sports. I did this on my own volition, as part of my own individual development, and for my health, and gradually built up my confidence, all on my own. It was entirely self-directed, which was what this introvert needed.

MapleLeaf
05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I went to a high school for the performing arts, so I was forced to participate in the torture called Dance PE.

For two weeks straight, we all had to learn the dance moves from Britney Spears and NSync music videos. :o I was one of the worst in class.

Aunrio
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I do however have a proud mama story...
my son went to a Christian school for one semester...at public school he ran a 6 minute mile...so of course during the gym class when there was a race he won hands down...did that make me proud...no what he did next is where that moment come in...after he was done he ran back and cheered the ones that were in last place on and ran with them...piggy backed one boy who was having troubles to the end......did he tell me this story...no the parent of one of those kids in last place did....

Oh Jules, tell me what you did raising such a compassionate achiever. I am raising two boys, still preschool ages, but I want them to have that kind of character! You deserve to be proud.

jules1216
05-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Aunrio-I give the credit to my Mom, she raised my brother and I to be compassionate and he was definitely Grammy's boy. They went on trips to see the changing leaves on Skyline Dr in VA and to historical places even after he moved out of my house and lived on his own. Just live the life and show the example is the only advice I can give.

JoseLo
05-13-2012, 04:22 PM
So many baaaad memories!!! One of the BEST things about adult life is never having to do this.

Wait for it, the sob story!! hehe.

I've always been quite big, by far the biggest in my class. I am not sporty at all either. Watching and playing sport is of no interest to me. To that, I had no friends in my class, as the lesson was split by gender, and I have always tended to have more female friends. So most guys were not my friends, and some ecen were unkind to me.

In the changing room was awful because I got teased for my size; one time some guys stole my trousers and 2 people got in them, to show how both can fit into my clothes! *CRINGE!*. Sometimes in the showers, they say I am looking at them (some people thought I was gay too... this ended up true, but it was a big secret in my teens!!) In the lesson I was SO very terrible... when we ran, everyone lapped me at least once, ha! The games like football, I didn't even know those rules!

I used to make excuses to miss it all the time. One day the teacher lost his temper and said he was sick of it and that I 'of ALL people, should be doing this.' and that I might not hate it so much if I 'wasn't so fat'. I stormed out and never went back to a sport lesson ever again, ha ha!

No more PE for me, I am so happy!! :lol:

VermontMom
05-13-2012, 05:49 PM
saef - Oh god, the one piece gym suit, with the striped top and the solid color shorts, made of the most suffocating 100% artificial material, mine were maroon, just the most unflattering piece of clothing EVER.

The 'rolling of eyes' when I went to whatever side team.

Dodge ball!! how cruel can gym teachers be?

Yes, being told to climb the rope up to the rafters? yeah, right.

One tormenting kid on my bus threw my gym suit out the bus window.

How about the yearly Weigh-In :faint:

theox
05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Some of you guys have real horror stories. :(

Elementary school - the PE teachers were nice, but I didn't like PE. I was already very overweight, which made being active uncomfortable, (very probably) had below average coordination and balance for my age, found most of the activities boring (I found school boring in general, but, unlike the regular classroom, you can't get away with sitting and reading your own books during instructional time in gym), and found the physical change from the classroom to wherever we were doing PE that day, the equipment, the lights, the discomfort of exercise, etc. very distracting. It was also a good opportunity for the jerky kids to make fun of my weight and general weirdness. And of course, unlike the regular classroom or the other related arts (with the possible exception of music), if you do poorly at something in PE, it's not just between you and the teacher. Everybody sees it. Still, all-in-all, it wasn't too bad. No real horror stories. My school had after school clubs for all of the related arts. I was in the PE club for two years, and we did some fun stuff with that, including doing sports that weren't covered in class, putting together routines for an annual local talent show and marching in the Christmas parade.

Middle school - I went to a Christian school that did sex-segregated PE, which was probably good. I think we had a few different gym teachers, but the only one I remember clearly was an overweight man who was a bit difficult to take seriously as a role model for health, and, although he wasn't terribly critical, he didn't go out of his way to make the class interesting or encourage/recognize students' effort or improvement. We did some sports, but he also had us doing suicides and stuff like that. Not fun or interesting, and not exactly a transferable life skill for most people.

High school - I picked NJROTC instead of gym. The gym classes looked boring and the NJROTC classes looked interesting and educational (and we got uniforms and shiny things!), so it was an easy choice. We did PFT testing, which I didn't do too well on, but don't remember completely bombing either. It was nice to have physical activities and testing that corresponded to something in the "real world". In general, the instructors knew how to be motivational without being *******s, were still in shape themselves, and were realistic enough to recognize that the majority of the kids in their programs were either uninterested in or ineligible for military service. Most of the cadets were pretty cool, even the ones who took it very seriously and planned on going into the military. The ones who weren't reasonable had no real authority, so if they started being jerky about other people's perceived participation levels or failure to comply with their power plays (e.g., trying to make people exercise after the session was supposed to have ended - and then appealing to the UCMJ if we didn't cooperate :rolleyes:) it was a simple matter of telling them to Foxtrot Oscar or quitting whatever team it was (the totally-not-a-Raider Team, in my case) and joining another, more rewarding, extracurricular activity.

Not gym, but I did discus and shotput on the high school track team. Our first coach was good. He made us work, but his demands were fairly modest, he knew his stuff, and he helped everybody, even people like me who sucked and were never going to make state. Then he got promoted and the guy they brought on to coach discus and shotput was an assistant football coach who couldn't be bothered to show up for most of our practices. Spring football practice was more important. When he did show up, he only worked with the people who were already defending or in serious competition for state titles. Bit of a morale suck! Fortunately, the best people on the team were also good and gracious leaders and teachers, so we did manage to keep things together. My one and only time placing was that year, and it was only because one of the best female discus throwers in the state was on my team and helped me improve.

RandomPaige
05-13-2012, 08:03 PM
I absolutely despised Gym with the burning passion of a 1,000 firey suns.
I wasn't always grossly overweight, but I have always been notoriously uncoordinated. My mother tells me its genetic. I took 10 years of dance classes as a child because she hoped I would become more graceful. Examples of my grace as an adult:

*While running to 1st base in softball, I fell and fractured my elbow.
*I broke my foot getting out of bed
* I drove my bicycle into a parked car. (unintentionally)
*Someone fell on me, and I ended up having knee surgery.

As a kid in elementary school, I always dreaded the chin ups and free-hang on the monkey bar. I'd get maybe 8 chin-ups, and I think I could free-hang for all of 10 seconds (probably just long enough for my arms to extend and my feet to touch the ground).

I never could connect a ball/birdie/puck with a bat/racket/stick, etc.

We had these torture races. I can never remember what they were called. But you had to challenge someone else in class to race against you. The gym instructor would place two pair of chalkboard erasers on one end of the basketball court, and you both had to race down, pick an eraser up, take it back to drop it on the finish line, race back, grab the other eraser, and bring it back. Usually I went against my best friend. While she was not skinny, she was definitely more athletically inclined. I always lost, but it was the fact the entire class stood around and watched you lose.

In high school, we had to run the mile on the outdoor track, most of the girls would go slower, but still claim to complete the 4 laps required. I was always the last one, and while I was chugging away, everyone was already in the stands when I started my 4th lap. Oh the horror!

Sweetcaroline
05-13-2012, 09:18 PM
.......Anyone else have to endure the trampoline ? :trampo:
It started as an awful experience, freshman fat girl on a trampoline with the whole class gathered around the edges as 'spotters'.... are you kidding me ?

I felt sick after watching the normal weight kids just leap up onto the thing and finish the 3 requirements; bounce up from your knees, your butt and your back.

I kept shuffling around the edges of the trampoline trying to avoid my turn.
Finally I couldn't hide anymore I was up next... It was a pure panic !

I struggled up onto the trampoline (a horror show in itself) bounced up and down a couple of times and finally sat down.. before I knew it, I had done all of the requirements in about 30 seconds... the teacher said "ok, very good, you're done".

That was over 35 years ago and still remember the pure panic and fleeting glory.

RandomPaige
05-14-2012, 06:21 AM
I do remember in Jr high when they conducted a BMI test. We had a male gym teacher who was mildly attractive. All of the twiggy cheerleaders were keeping track of the scores.

I remember waiting my turn with sweaty palms. He used the calipers on the back of our knee, and the underside of our bicep (tricep?).

Here all of the adolescent guys went first, 8%, 12%, blah blah..

I felt so nauseated, I was sure I'd be sick.

My best friend went up and got her measurements taken. Then it was my turn.

Thankfully, he didn't announce the numbers to everyone aloud, but he gave me my numbers, at the end of which I walked back and sat down next to my best friend. She asked me my numbers.

I had a 33 bmi estimate on my arm (not surprised), and a 23 on the back of my arm (well, I was biking quite heavily at the time).

I told her my numbers and she gave me a dirty look, got up and walked away.

I think she assumed that because I was bigger, mine would be much higher than hers. She never told me what hers were. :)

LadyPetite
05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Ah, those old days :) I remember having to run to "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi. I never could keep up with the running and would sometimes slow down to a very slow jog around the gym. A few times we had to go outside and run around the track and were timed on that. Felt like my heart was about to burst out of my chest by the end of it. Fortunately, the gym teacher cared more about us trying to make an effort rather than how fast we finished the runs. There were some girls who, while perfectly fit, didn't try to run or even slow jog in case they ruined their hair. You know, the snooty ones. Needless to say, they failed gym.

I loved gym. After the 10-15 minutes of actual exercise/running we could do what we wanted most days. Other days we practiced dancing (square dancing, some kind of Greek dance that was done to attract a husband LOL) and I absolutely loved it. Some days they took us bowling for PE for 6 weeks or it was archery for 6 weeks. Good times.

JoseLo
05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
We had to get weighed also. I just refused! I rationalised they cannot physically force me, haha!