Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Default Turns out I've grossly underestimated my caloric intake... :(

I feel really stupid. I've been vaguely counting calories in my head with the aim of consuming around 1200 a day -- and 1200 instead of over 2000 because I also have PCOS.

But tonight I was bored and decided to count properly using the energy values on packaging and a calculator. Turns out I've been consuming between 850 and 900 calories per day.

Now I don't know what to do. Up until know I've felt fairly satisfied and like I've been eating enough. But I'm clearly not. I know I need to up my calories significantly but I can't help feeling a bit afraid of that prospect -- almost like I'll be cheating or something.

I hope I haven't messed up my metabolism. I honestly thought I was eating more.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #2  
吃多一点,吃少一点

S/C/G: >29" / 25.5" / <=25"

Height: 5' 3.5"

How much are you working out, if at all?

I mean, either way, 850-950 is entirely too low, and you'll just slow your metabolism down to a crawl. I know it feels weird to up your calories when you've gotten used to a particular daily regimen of counting, but I've found it to be so true that you've got to "eat to lose".

1200 is still really, really low. Granted, I do workout a lot, but I have no idea how anyone could be so disciplined as to maintain that day after day...
xiaobaicai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaobaicai View Post
How much are you working out, if at all?

I mean, either way, 850-950 is entirely too low, and you'll just slow your metabolism down to a crawl. I know it feels weird to up your calories when you've gotten used to a particular daily regimen of counting, but I've found it to be so true that you've got to "eat to lose".

1200 is still really, really low. Granted, I do workout a lot, but I have no idea how anyone could be so disciplined as to maintain that day after day...
It was extremely hard in the beginning but I wanted to lose weight so desperately that I stuck to it religiously and now, after almost a month, I've grown completely accustomed to eating the amount that I do every single day. Now I'm unsure of how to change it.

I know 1200 is very low but I also have PCOS and have read that my BMR is a lot lower than others' might be, and that I need to eat less than I would if I didn't have PCOS. It really does my head in.

I exercise (brisk walking) approximately forty minutes a day, sometimes more.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #4  
threenorns

i'm on a medically-supervised VLCD of 750/day bec i have 100lbs total to lose - you're NOT going to mess up your metabolism by eating so low.

rules for normal ppl don't apply to those of us with rather a lot to lose. that's bec we've got a heck of a backup supply of energy. generally speaking, the larger you are, the more weight you can lose per week - the "2lbs max" rules doesn't apply.

if you have PCOS, there's a good chance you're insulin-resistant - that really does lower your BMR significantly.

i haven't been diagnosed with PCOS but i've got a lot of the symptoms and i *gained* weight on 1500/day and on 1200/day.

the two ways you can protect your muscle mass are a) keeping your protein intake up (aim for 30% of your caloric intake) and b) exercise - go for a brisk walk twice a day, 30min a time (when you're carrying as much excess weight as we are, it's the equivalent of a military field exercise while carrying a heavily weighted backpack). also get yourself some resistance bands or dumbbells and begin incorporating strength training - building muscle will not only increase your metabolism but it will also make day-to-day functioning less exhausting.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-07-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
i'm on a medically-supervised VLCD of 750/day bec i have 100lbs total to lose - you're NOT going to mess up your metabolism by eating so low.

rules for normal ppl don't apply to those of us with rather a lot to lose. that's bec we've got a heck of a backup supply of energy. generally speaking, the larger you are, the more weight you can lose per week - the "2lbs max" rules doesn't apply.

if you have PCOS, there's a good chance you're insulin-resistant - that really does lower your BMR significantly.

i haven't been diagnosed with PCOS but i've got a lot of the symptoms and i *gained* weight on 1500/day and on 1200/day.

the two ways you can protect your muscle mass are a) keeping your protein intake up (aim for 30% of your caloric intake) and b) exercise - go for a brisk walk twice a day, 30min a time (when you're carrying as much excess weight as we are, it's the equivalent of a military field exercise while carrying a heavily weighted backpack). also get yourself some resistance bands or dumbbells and begin incorporating strength training - building muscle will not only increase your metabolism but it will also make day-to-day functioning less exhausting.
Thanks so much for your response.

Wow. You gained weight on 1200 a day? Damn...

And that's what I thought: I really don't believe that my BMR is the same as someone else of similar size who does not have PCOS.

Currently I'm exercising by taking a very brisk walk for approx. 40 mins daily. I'm going to get some weights, too.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you eat in a day?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #6  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

From what I've read I also think that you won't slow down your metabolism, that seems to happen only to people that don't have a big reserve anymore. So when you are closer to goal it's better to not eat too low. However, what I would worry about is getting enough nutrients in your body eating so low calorie. When you are on a medically supervised VLCD it's carefully prepared and carbs are most often replaced by more nutritious 'foods' (it's not really food, but you know!)

Maybe talk to your doctor? He or she will know best how your body is going to respond to changes.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy23 View Post
I feel really stupid. I've been vaguely counting calories in my head with the aim of consuming around 1200 a day -- and 1200 instead of over 2000 because I also have PCOS.

But tonight I was bored and decided to count properly using the energy values on packaging and a calculator. Turns out I've been consuming between 850 and 900 calories per day.

Now I don't know what to do. Up until know I've felt fairly satisfied and like I've been eating enough. But I'm clearly not. I know I need to up my calories significantly but I can't help feeling a bit afraid of that prospect -- almost like I'll be cheating or something.

I hope I haven't messed up my metabolism. I honestly thought I was eating more.
Have you been measuring and/or weighing all the food that you eat? Using the energy values on packaging and a calculator is still only estimating your calories unless you are also measuring and/or weighing (I believe weighing with a food scale is best) your food portions.

I was also a terrible estimator of portions and calories until I got into the habit of weighing and measuring my food. Instead of using a calculator you may want to track your calories at a site like FITDAY.

http://www.fitday.com/

I use a computer resident program called "Weight By Date". Either way it is so much easier than a calculator and paper. For me easier translates to it is far more likely that I will do it. .

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #8  
threenorns

first off, i do have a list of go-to "free foods" that i can partake when i'm REALLY hungry but, as you've noticed, i just don't really get hungry any more. i have to use a timer bec, left to myself, i won't get hungry for 4 or 5 hours and then i'm suddenly REALLY hungry.

they include tossed salad (veg only w/ a bit of balsamic vinegar; no egg, bacon, croutons, dressing, cheese, etc). consommé (i make a soup with dry-fried mushrooms and onions deglazed with consommé). and certain veg - usually the salad variety such as cucumber. i can eat an apple for 80cal or i can eat an equivalent tomato for 22. it's a no-brainer, lol.

i avoid bread, pasta, etc, bec i've found that when i eat them, i can't stop and they also make me feel awful - dizzy and groggy. not pleasant.

i also rely on shakes at this point - the one i use has 10g fibre and 20g protein per serving and, dep if it's chocolate or strawberry, has either 140 or 160 cal per serving

i eat every 3hrs.

breakfast - 730 - usually something like 2 eggs (poached, boiled, or dry-fried)

snack - 1030 - protein shake

lunch - 130- can of tuna (120cal) over salad, soup

snack - 430 - shake

dinner - 730 - 13 large shrimp (steamed or dry-fried, 80cal), salad, soup, 1/2 c of power fruit mix (it's a mix of blueberries, cherries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries; 40cal)

if i'm still up at 1030pm, i'll have a salad.

i also swing my calories a bit - some days i'll eat closer to 900 but then i dial it back a bit the next day or two. i find that pre-planning at fitday or other such site really helps keep things in control, as well.

LOTS and LOTS of green tea.

two multi-vitamins a day.

daily blood pressure check at the pharmacy, weekly weigh-in at the doctor's or dietitian (depending who's not busy at the moment), and bloodwork every six weeks.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
first off, i do have a list of go-to "free foods" that i can partake when i'm REALLY hungry but, as you've noticed, i just don't really get hungry any more. i have to use a timer bec, left to myself, i won't get hungry for 4 or 5 hours and then i'm suddenly REALLY hungry.

they include tossed salad (veg only w/ a bit of balsamic vinegar; no egg, bacon, croutons, dressing, cheese, etc). consommé (i make a soup with dry-fried mushrooms and onions deglazed with consommé). and certain veg - usually the salad variety such as cucumber. i can eat an apple for 80cal or i can eat an equivalent tomato for 22. it's a no-brainer, lol.

i also rely on shakes at this point - the one i use has 10g fibre and 20g protein per serving and, dep if it's chocolate or strawberry, has either 140 or 160 cal per serving

i eat every 3hrs.

breakfast - 730 - usually something like 2 eggs (poached, boiled, or dry-fried)

snack - 1030 - protein shake

lunch - 130- can of tuna (120cal) over salad, soup

snack - 430 - shake

dinner - 730 - 13 large shrimp (steamed or dry-fried, 80cal), salad, soup, 1/2 c of power fruit mix (it's a mix of blueberries, cherries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries; 40cal)

if i'm still up at 1030pm, i'll have a salad.

i also swing my calories a bit - some days i'll eat closer to 900 but then i dial it back a bit the next day or two. i find that pre-planning at fitday or other such site really helps keep things in control, as well.

LOTS and LOTS of green tea.

two multi-vitamins a day.

daily blood pressure check at the pharmacy, weekly weigh-in at the doctor's or dietitian (depending who's not busy at the moment), and bloodwork every six weeks.
Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like your diet has a lot of protein. I eat oats for breakfast or one egg on a piece of wholegrain toast, 2-3 Corn Thins for lunch with a small bunch of grapes, and grilled chicken breast w/ green veggies for dinner. If I'm really hungry throughout the day I sometimes eat a small amount of dried fruit, low-fat/low-sugar yogurt, or fruit. Do you think that's enough nutrient-wise?

I also don't take any multi-vitamins. Perhaps I should start?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I think the best thing to do would be to talk to your dr about what would be most appropriate for you.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
Have you been measuring and/or weighing all the food that you eat? Using the energy values on packaging and a calculator is still only estimating your calories unless you are also measuring and/or weighing (I believe weighing with a food scale is best) your food portions.

I was also a terrible estimator of portions and calories until I got into the habit of weighing and measuring my food. Instead of using a calculator you may want to track your calories at a site like FITDAY.

http://www.fitday.com/

I use a computer resident program called "Weight By Date". Either way it is so much easier than a calculator and paper. For me easier translates to it is far more likely that I will do it. .

Larry,
I don't weigh my food, no. I only guesstimate, really! I generally just look to the internet for calorie-info.

Thanks for recommending that site; I'm going to check it out.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I think the best thing to do would be to talk to your dr about what would be most appropriate for you.
My doctor situation is endlessly frustrating. I live in a small town and the doctor I've been seeing since I was a baby can never fit me in because she has so many patients. I started seeing a new doctor and it didn't go very well, tbh. She's very young and inexperienced and there's also a language barrier there. I can't understand her and she can't understand me. I honestly don't know what else to do.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

I'm going to second tracking calories at fitday or similar, at least for a few days. It will give you a better idea of what nutrients are lacking in your diet. Eg. It has made me aware that I need to be more careful to chose iron rich foods more often. And I've gone back to a daily B vitamin because I wasn't getting enough B12 and I've had issues with a lack of B12 in the past.

But in general, yes a multivitamin is a good idea when you're eating so few calories.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #14  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

don't feel bad about not weighing or anything like that. I didn't weigh during weight loss and I rarely do now. The only reason I actually do weigh anything now is because we have a food scale--the one I bought my father. I get too obsessive otherwise.

If you've been estimating wrong, so what? At least you can change things if you want. As others said you have a bit more leeway than someone who only wants to lose 20lbs, but going under 1200 is still very low.

There's nothing wrong with actually eating 1200 calories for a while and seeing what happens. I know it's scary changing things though! But still if you're eating 850-900 it is no big deal to get up to 1200. A handful of nuts, slightly more at each meal, etc.

My hunger signals are forever borked as well it seems. I also need to eat on a schedule or I'll not eat enough. I tried eating just when I was hungry for a while and that's what got me down to 115 in the first place (I really wanted to stop at around 120)! I see all of these websites just advising people to "listen to their hunger signals" well that doesn't always work for some of us! Eating when I'm bored got me into this mess in the first place...

Just be careful. If what you're doing works then that's great but you also want to do it safely I would really hate to find out that something happened to you because you went so low, but then again I wouldn't want you to get frustrated because you don't lose on a higher amount! Just be careful, be safe, and try to be as healthy as possible.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Just one thing I would add -- lots of more vegetables. You're only eating those at night (I don't know what Corn thins are) and you should really eating more of those throughout the day. Celery sticks and carrot sticks are good snacks.

For PCOS with IR, if you have the IR, the grapes are probably too high sugar fruit for you. Berries, like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are lower sugar, but still delicious, if you can get those. Apples and pears are good fruit for those of us who have IR.

Get yourself a multivitamin and you can read more on the PCOS forum about other supplements and medications that you can take so that when you go see your doctor again, you can talk to her/him about it and see what they say.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote