Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Default Ideal Protein Newbies - 4/6/12

Hi! I just started the Ideal Protein Diet (day 7) and I feel like this week has been so hard! My history with weight is that I was a normal weight until my early 20's and then I start to gain...about a month ago I hit a new decade on the scale (the 60's...260's) and couldn't figure out how I had gotten there (well, I know, bad habits, eating fast food, ice cream, etc to my hearts delight) but my clothes weren't fitting. After having to go out and purchase more bare essentials to get me through I decided that enough was enough. A friend was doing the IP diet and she loved it! She said she was energized, never hungry, didn't have a carbo-fog anymore. I signed up enthusiastically.

However, in reality it's been so hard...I've been starving, nauseous, and I feel like I can't think straight. I know it will be worth it though! I've been a notorious cheater on past diets and I know I can't cheat on IP so that's another reason I'm excited to have a community. Also would love to have others at the same point in the plan I am to talk to!
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/225/140

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJ100 View Post
Hi! I just started the Ideal Protein Diet (day 7) and I feel like this week has been so hard! My history with weight is that I was a normal weight until my early 20's and then I start to gain...about a month ago I hit a new decade on the scale (the 60's...260's) and couldn't figure out how I had gotten there (well, I know, bad habits, eating fast food, ice cream, etc to my hearts delight) but my clothes weren't fitting. After having to go out and purchase more bare essentials to get me through I decided that enough was enough. A friend was doing the IP diet and she loved it! She said she was energized, never hungry, didn't have a carbo-fog anymore. I signed up enthusiastically.

However, in reality it's been so hard...I've been starving, nauseous, and I feel like I can't think straight. I know it will be worth it though! I've been a notorious cheater on past diets and I know I can't cheat on IP so that's another reason I'm excited to have a community. Also would love to have others at the same point in the plan I am to talk to!

Weclome!!! Things will begin to get better, honest. The fist week or so are always the hardest. If you are staying so hungry, eat some egg whites in between meal times, or break your veggies up throughout the day instead of trying to get all 2 cups in for lunch an dinner. When I have to come to work at 6:30 I make an eggwhite omlet and eat it when I get here, then I have my shake at 9:00. There are days that I have to have a cup of veggies before lunch. But that doesn't happen much anymore. Push thru the hunger, drink more water, drink herbal teas. The herbal teas seemed to help me alot the first couple of weeks on this plan. After the 2nd or third week I wasn't as hungry anymore. And I have also learned the difference between a head hunger and a true hunger. We have become so accustomed to eat whenever we feel like we are hungry when in all actuality we were not truely hungry, we were just bored, emotinal eating, stress eating etc.... You will get the hang of this, and of corse we are all always here for you.
rissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #3  
Tripmama

S/C/G: 315/171/170

Height: 5'10"

LSJ- notorious cheater here too! But not IP...the losses and structure make it easier and easier the longer you are on this great diet. It still amazes me how much willpower I have, for the third time since I have started, my kids have made cookie dough AND I haven't even thought about eating it. Ok, maybe the thought has crossed my mind, but I simply say " nope, not me, not this time". Stick with it, come here and to your friend for support and become a loser with us.
Tripmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

rissimo - thanks for the ideas...my coach said not to eat between meals but I'd much rather have an on plan snack or spread out my food than be so hungry I feel I can't do it - the egg whites are a great idea!

tripmama - thanks for the support - you are such an inspiration with how much you have lost (along with many others on here!)
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240.8/240.8/155

Height: 5'4

Hello Everyone!

New to IP. I started 3 days ago. Ive been on every diet out there and I lost weight and gained it back. it was too easy to go "off plan". I think for me the fact that i put a huge monetary value on this diet diet compared to others is the reason I wont cheat. Not to mention the setback Id have to endure for doing it. Anyway, so far so good except today I'm having a tough time. I'm extremely tired and I'm finding that my meals don't last long enough. I'm not too sure what to snack on other than lettuce. I see that some are eating egg whites... how many oz. of protein do you count those as?
I'm in this till the end. I'm not looking to come out like a Barbie, I just want to be happy and HEALTHY!! So nice to find a support group for IP!!
ttshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #6  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

Today is my fourth day. So far I feel fine.

My coach said that I dont have to eat my veggies with my meals, so I've been saving them for later in the day. I think the structure of the plan is good for me. So far at least. I am also notorious for cheating, but the thread about how cheating hurts you for three days, not just that one meal.

I checked about the egg whites and they said they're fine.

It's my first weekend tho. I'm bound and determined to stay IP. I'm bringing my own protein to Easter, mom's having lamb, which is not IP, I don't like it anyway, so I'm not terribly upset.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie63 View Post
Today is my fourth day. So far I feel fine.

My coach said that I dont have to eat my veggies with my meals, so I've been saving them for later in the day. I think the structure of the plan is good for me. So far at least. I am also notorious for cheating, but the thread about how cheating hurts you for three days, not just that one meal.

I checked about the egg whites and they said they're fine.

It's my first weekend tho. I'm bound and determined to stay IP. I'm bringing my own protein to Easter, mom's having lamb, which is not IP, I don't like it anyway, so I'm not terribly upset.

To all the new folks: Great strong attitudes!! Like the others said, it does get a lot easier.

I like to feel full and so I drink 120 oz of water a day. I use a Mio water flavoring (grocery store next to Crystal Light) and that's helpful. Not that I don't like water but with Mio (berry pomegranate, peach mango, tangerine plus have a black cherry energy version - I use them all) it is so easy to get the fluid down. Plus I bought a 30 oz tumbler at the local dollar store so all I need to do is fill it 4 times a day and I do keep a daily record of exactly how much fluid I take in (along with food, supplements and daily exercise).

Other tidbits I learned on this website:
1. dill pickles help kill the appetite and cravings.
2. heard that hot foods are more satisfying and filling than cold foods so you may want to make your choc drink into hot chocolate - it might work for you.
3. there's a product called Miracle Noodles which is a calorie free, carb free pasta substitute (watch portion size). Talk to your coach about it. I buy them over the web and use them with my soup at lunch. Google to learn more.
4. I also steam a zucchini and use that in the soup. Very filling lunch. Sometimes I use the frozen broccoli that you steam in the bag and add that to my soup. Usually it's enough for 2 portions, so just put the rest in the fridge.

Check with your coach on all these ideas, be sure you follow your coach's advice.

Last edited by Chloe222; 04-07-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post

Other tidbits I learned on this website:
1. dill pickles help kill the appetite and cravings.
2. heard that hot foods are more satisfying and filling than cold foods so you may want to make your choc drink into hot chocolate - it might work for you.
3. there's a product called Miracle Noodles which is a calorie free pasta substitute. Talk to your coach about it. I buy them over the web and use them with my soup at lunch. Google to learn more.
4. I also steam a zucchini and use that in the soup. Very filling lunch. Sometimes I use the frozen broccoli that you steam in the bag and add that to my soup. Usually it's enough for 2 portions, so just put the rest in the fridge.
Thanks for the tips Chloe! I really think this kind of support is what's helping me be successful following the program - the first program I've ever been successful at following!
Dakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #9  
Started IP 4/5/2012

S/C/G: 200/190.1/140

Height: 5'7.5

Hi! I'm new too. Day 3, Phase I. I love all the tips here! I'm so glad I found this site! THANKS!!!!

Cass
cass2ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/150

Height: 4'11

my first day on IP.... and I have NOT been hungry ... I gotta force getting in my recommended 2-3 IPs in ....

this morning 7am ... drank 8-10oz of H2O before I ate bf'ast.... wasnt really hungry .... ate 1/2 of an IP protein bar...

another 10 oz of H2O... for lunch I had veggies and crabmeat. I was full but I had a munchie moment .... so I munched on celery.

I also have been chewing sugar free gum.

I have an oral "thing" (get your minds out of the guttetr!!! lol lol) ... so drinking water is easy and chewing gum helps me "simulate" the munching lol

not hungry .... but worried about snacking when I get home....
KBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #11  
Started IP 4/9/2012

S/C/G: 146/128/120

Height: 5'1

It is my first day on IP. I am really motivated and excited about the program. If any of you fellow newbies have come across any simple recipes or tips that are specific to phase one, please share them! I love that this community is here for IPers!
MidwesternMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 187.6/177/130

Height: 5'4"

Some tips for newbies that helped me:

Plan your veggies/meals beforehand so that when you get home starving after work...you are not tempted to reach for the first thing in the fridge. I cant think when i am hungry(and i am cranky!)

Drink lots of water, especially when you feel hungry, try a glass of water first.

Add sea salt to your water and drink it when you feel the first beginnings of a headache/tiredness.

Keep busy- i am an emotional eater/boredom eater. so this helped keep my mind of snacking

Keep your inspiration in front of you...whether its a picture/photo/dress you want to fit into. let there be a reminder of what your goal is, and you'll know you want to get there quick and not stall

Try to get enough sleep- stress and lack of sleep do reduce the number of lbs lost for some people

always remember, the ice cream/cookies or other yummy treat you are passing up on now, you will always get a chance to enjoy them once you are done and are at your ideal weight. you might even find that you dont care for them so much at that point cos you will look and feel so awesome!
r101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 361/361/190

Height: 6'2"

Howdy!!! My name is Ashley and I am just starting IP day1. I weighed myself this morning at 361.1 YIKES! I know it can only get better. I didn't do as well as I would have liked today. I salad dressing on my salad and butter on my broccoli. I KNOW its so wrong but tomorrow is a new day and I am sure I will do better. I look forward to losing with you ladies.
Legs4Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #14  
Started IP 4/9/2012

S/C/G: 146/128/120

Height: 5'1

Day 2. Having some difficulty finding IP packets that I like. However, this morning I made a shot of espresso and added it to the vanilla shake with 7 oz. of water. Wizzed it up in the magic bullet and poured it over ice. I will be having this every morning!! It was a more than passable substitute for my morning latte and the espresso masked the somewhat funky aftertaste the plain shake has for me. I am really trying hard not to cheat as I have read other posts where people have had regular salad dressing or a piece of candy and not lost weight for several days as a result! Just keep telling yourself that looking and feeling great will be so much better than that butter or ice cream cone will ever taste!! IF anyone has IP packet favorites I would also love to get recommendations. I have tried the oatmeal (tastes ok, texture was off), broccoli cheese soup (yuck!) and the strawberry pudding (yuck!). I am scared I won't like anything!!
MidwesternMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMolly View Post
Day 2. Having some difficulty finding IP packets that I like. However, this morning I made a shot of espresso and added it to the vanilla shake with 7 oz. of water. Wizzed it up in the magic bullet and poured it over ice. I will be having this every morning!! It was a more than passable substitute for my morning latte and the espresso masked the somewhat funky aftertaste the plain shake has for me. I am really trying hard not to cheat as I have read other posts where people have had regular salad dressing or a piece of candy and not lost weight for several days as a result! Just keep telling yourself that looking and feeling great will be so much better than that butter or ice cream cone will ever taste!! IF anyone has IP packet favorites I would also love to get recommendations. I have tried the oatmeal (tastes ok, texture was off), broccoli cheese soup (yuck!) and the strawberry pudding (yuck!). I am scared I won't like anything!!
The start of each phase (I'm on P3) is daunting...I look back on P1 and when I began and I was terrified...everything was GROSS!!! Then I got into a routine and it was great! It's like finding the love of your life...you have to kiss a few toads along the way before you find your prince (or princess)...

Now, I miss my IP packets! I fell in love with three! I would have the capachino drink with coffee and over ice. I devoured the chocolate drink and gobbled the double chocolate bar! I disdained the soups and the other foods...Now I'm missing all my chocolate "treats"!!!

You guys will all do great. Stay 100% OP (no cheats)...not worth it! Get into your groove and soon you'll be loving your new, healthy bodies!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote