Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

Default Why do I get uncomfortable?

So I read posts about people not wanting to tell people how much they weigh, or how much they've lost.
I dont wanna tell people how much my weight is. But I dont mind telling my closest family how much I've lost.
But this is the part I find confusing;
My mom is the type of person that likes telling people everything. Share everything about her kids life. But I am the kind of person that wanna keep everything to myself. So. When she makes comments about my weight-loss I feel like its more of an insult than a compliment. there was even a whole month where I didnt wanna tell her how much I've lost.
Mostly because people tend to comment about my weight or body. And I feel like its an insult when they do, because its fake when they say it just because someone told them that I am losing weight. (My mom).
So when they say something, I feel super uncomfortable.
BUT, when I talk to people that doesnt know anything, and they say something nice, I definitely take it as a compliment. And it feels good.
I also feel like they are mocking me when Im making a healthy breakfast or eat something healthy and they comment on it. Im sure they dont mean anything by it. But people dont comment on stuff thats normal or natural, so I dont feel good about it when people HAVE to comment on what Im eating.

So does this make any sense? Or is it just really messed up? Idk!

Last edited by Eurus; 03-31-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/217/126

Height: 4'11''

I can totally understand not wanting to tell anyone how much you weigh. It's bad enough going through the day to day mental struggle without having the input of various other people that may or may not be making positive contributions to your efforts. I would suggest trying to have a sit down with your mama and telling her how you feel and how it negatively affects you when she shares such sensitive information with others. If you speak with her and she continues to embarrass you by revealing family only info then I would suggest to not inform her of the exact numbers. People will speculate and haters gonna hate, but you keep making your healthy breakfasts hunny because the payoff will be bigger than whatever lil remarks people throw at you.
Kikidaphathousewifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

I can sorta relate to this. I know personally when I become conscious of just how big I was i started feeling like everyone around me thought bad of me or noticed how big i was etc. It's bad enough to feel that way without someone talking to other people about it and bringing up the subject and having to hear what they have to say about it.

And I know what you mean...of course the other person isn't gonna say you look bad its like their obligated to say you look good, but also remember that some of them are probably sincere. A lot of people won't comment if they notice someones lost weight because they're not totally sure if they have and would feel bad or embarrassed if they commented on your weight loss and you actually hadn't lost weight or something.

Don't think you're weird or something for feeling that way cuz ur not! And if it really bothers you that bad i totally agree with Kikidaphathousewifey's advice on asking your mom to stop or not sharing with her if she doesn't.
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #4  

I feel uncomfortable too-weight loss, even though it involves (physically speaking) diet and exercise, for some reason takes up a lot of time in my day because I am always reading and thinking about it-the more I commit to it, the more interesting I find it. Since its something that is such a big part of my life-and something that we all pretty much have to do alone-to get comments from the "outside" feels awkward-its people peeking into your private dieting world.
So even if the comments/curious looks are neg or positive, you get hypersensitive. YOu work hard, no one unless they also went thru something similar knows all the pains, the loooong and slow progress-they only see the results. Its easy to feel touchy about their comments, because they don't "know" and they are making a judgement (positive or negative) when they only see the outcome. Its easy to feel like you are on display. Its normal to feel awkward.
This is one of the reasons why Im glad I'm still fitting into my clothes lol.
As far as you wanting to be private about it, even the most "outward" people don't like to talk about it. Like my sister was super critical and loud about my weight loss-and when I told her not to talk about it she said "but you changed so much!" and I felt like uhh a display or something, and when she lost weight, she hated it when my mother made comments about it. THIS time I am having a private talk with her to get her to shuddup. I am very nonconfrontational and insecure, but I'm gonna take it as a personal growth thing-I have to be more confrontational in general. While it might not apply to everybody, I think that many people find weight changes in particular to be an uncomfortable subject.
Just remember that if people keeps on talking even if you say something-that is their problem and not yours! And if they are being critical-well ur decisions have led to progress, so clearly you know what you are doing! Nothing wrong with wanting to keep it a private thing.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote