Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #1  
I can.

S/C/G: 260/253/170

Height: 5'8"

Question People at the gym are harsh

I have been doing a lifestyle change for about a month now, and I'm also trying to quit smoking.
I understand the ''perfect sized'' ''skinny'' people arn't always in shape, maybe they were lucky with there matabalizm* sorry for my spelling if I got that wrong. They really like to turn there head and start talking to their fitness buddy... But honestly lets get real here! we both are in the same boat, your in the gym for a reason... so what if im 250bls. I'm ttying to get fit, so what if I'm not a size 5 like you are. We all can here what you say! and words are hurtful. You don't need to say right behind me how my stomach moves when I walk, or how my legs ''giggle'' or when I walk on the tredmil they say how I might break it.
I have to much respect to bring myself down to there level and say something about it.
yea it's a nice rude convo with your friend. lets go out of the gym to say all those things.
So I moved to a different section of the gym, if they're going to talk about me, I'm not going to hear about it.
Guess what happened? OF COURSE 2 minutes later they go to the same section, Go FIGURE! I'm trying to lift some weights I'm doing 45bls with my arms... they are doing 5, with less reps,
I was on the tredmill with an incline walking, there standing on the tredmils talking. I finally decided I'll go change and get in the hot tub, ten minutes later I find them getting in themselves... and then talking about how im wearing a tank top and and shorts, I left I'm getting dressed and just leaving, trying to just settle myself down. I don't need that! No one does. I'm getting dressed and I still hear them ranting, about me. ..
why me
Kayleen1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #2  
threenorns

that's when you take it up with the gym staff - that is definitely NOT typical behaviour in any gym i've ever been in, and i've been in chi-chi-foo-foo gyms and iv'e been in gyms where the ladies worked on this side, guys worked on that side (and the ladies never said anything about me jiggling around in the cardio class while the guys were nothing but compliments when i went in to use REAL weight and not the barbie weighs on the ladies' side).

that gym was called "ron's gym". used to be downsview (toronto). talk about hardcore: there was blood on the MMA mats on a daily basis and he had an EMT stationed there during the busy times. ron built most of the equipment himself, designed a good part of it, and it was THE best gym EVER.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-29-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I dont think it is people at the gym that are harsh. I think those two girls are harsh. I've never ever run into anyone saying things like that and I've attended several gyms.

Just try and ignore it. I know its hard. I dwell on every single word said about me, good or bad. However, if you keep sticking to your goals, you'll eventually be the size 5 girl. However you won't be a complete witch like they are.

Last edited by Candeka; 03-29-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #4  
threenorns

that's actually a good point candeka made: what do you care what two random strangers think? is their opinion more valid and valuable than your boyfriend's or your mother's or your own?

think about what sad, pathetic little lives they have that they have to try and sabotage someone who looks like they're succeeding.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #5  
I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
that's when you take it up with the gym staff - that is definitely NOT typical behaviour in any gym i've ever been in, and i've been in chi-chi-foo-foo gyms and iv'e been in gyms where the ladies worked on this side, guys worked on that side (and the ladies never said anything about me jiggling around in the cardio class while the guys were nothing but compliments when i went in to use REAL weight and not the barbie weighs on the ladies' side).

that gym was called "ron's gym". used to be downsview (toronto). talk about hardcore: there was blood on the MMA mats on a daily basis and he had an EMT stationed there during the busy times. ron built most of the equipment himself, designed a good part of it, and it was THE best gym EVER.
I't Hurt dont get me wrong, it made me push myself harder. But at the same time even tho my boyfriends says just dont think about it. he heard the whole thing. kept saying just don't listen, your better then them, look you can lift more weights, and do more reps, dont think about it. at the end of the day before I fall asleep, pretty much any girl is goin to fall asleep thinking about what they said. its frustrating knowing i could have said so much but tried to be the bigger person and walk away. how many times do i need to walk away tho?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #6  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Id talk to the gym manager. My gym does not allow childish behavior like that!!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #7  
threenorns

how many times to you have to walk away? every time.

trust me - i speak from experience. my max 1 rep bench was 175lbs. i had to deal with the gym mgmt pulling me into the office for a "discreet" inquiry as to whether or not i was doing steroids because some of the ladies at the chi-chi-foo-foo gym were whining that i was making them look "bad".

if you respond in any way, you've lost.

let your actions and your results be your response - other ppl will see them for what theyr'e doing and trust me: they'll get frozen out before long. REAL gym-goers don't put up with that kind of crap.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-29-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #8  
I can.

Quote:
how many times to you have to walk away? every time.

trust me - i speak from experience. my max 1 rep bench was 175lbs. i had to deal with the gym mgmt pulling me into the office for a "discreet" inquiry as to whether or not i was doing steroids because some of the ladies at the chi-chi-foo-foo gym were whining that i was making them look "bad".

if you respond in any way, you've lost.

let your actions and your results be your response - other ppl will see them for what theyr'e doing and trust me: they'll get frozen out before long. REAL gym-goers don't put up with that kind of crap.
You were making them look bad because you could lift more they they could? at least you can walk away with a smile on that situation. But you do have a good point, On having to walk away everytime. I never did say anything to them, nor did I give a nasty look. I feel proud for myself but at the same time the self esteem went down a tad.
this wasn't today. it was the last week.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #9  
I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange View Post
Id talk to the gym manager. My gym does not allow childish behavior like that!!
Next time I will.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #10  
threenorns

i only mentioned that episode bec otherwise i would've just copied and pasted your original post, lol. i did have two girls who harassed me non-stop whenever i was at the gym - they weren't strangers, though - they were girls i knew in high school and who, unfortunately, remembered me all too well.

(in high school, i was the kid hiding behind the dumpsters until the bell rang and it was safe to scuttle through the empty halls to class - otherwise i'd get tripped, my books knocked out of my hands, shoved into lockers, etc).
Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I've never had that happen in any of the gyms I went to!

Wow -- those girls following you around were catty. Take note today of time, places in the gym, and what was said.

If it happens again, report them to gym manager.

And -- even though that's nothing to do with you and more about their weird, it still not fun to hear.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #12  
I can.

Quote:
i only mentioned that episode bec otherwise i would've just copied and pasted your original post, lol. i did have two girls who harassed me non-stop whenever i was at the gym - they weren't strangers, though - they were girls i knew in high school and who, unfortunately, remembered me all too well.

(in high school, i was the kid hiding behind the dumpsters until the bell rang and it was safe to scuttle through the empty halls to class - otherwise i'd get tripped, my books knocked out of my hands, shoved into lockers, etc).
My sister is Mentaly disabled she went thru alot in school.
she was one of those kids that got picked on, slapped,cut,brusied,you name it. my sister was bullied
So one day her bully tried to do that to me, i kicked there a** so bad. they never messed with me, but other people tried to mess with me sister it was a rough time. but she never did hide behind the dumpster, im sure she wanted to. shes more messed up she use to cry before school, or going on the bus, but the school wouldnt take care of it, so i took matters in my own hands.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #13  
I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
I've never had that happen in any of the gyms I went to!

Wow -- those girls following you around were catty. Take note today of time, places in the gym, and what was said.

If it happens again, report them to gym manager.

And -- even though that's nothing to do with you and more about their weird, it still not fun to hear.

A.
I was very hurt, and still think about it. But I keep telling myself I went home with my man, they went to bed alone, at least I have someone who supports and loves me.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #14  
threenorns

i have asperger's - high-functioning autism. exceptionally high IQ, incredibly dismal SQ (social quotient).

my sisters call me "sheldons" cause i'm twice the size of sheldon on Big Bang Theory and twice as annoying, lol.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-29-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #15  
I can.

Quote:
i have asperger's - high-functioning autism. exceptionally high IQ, incredibly dismal SQ (social quotient).

my sisters call me "sheldons" cause i'm twice the size of sheldon on Big Bang Theory and twice as annoying, lol.
I dated someone that had aspergers.
I also watched some movie. . Im not dating him anymore bc he was just way to much, and he wouldnt even talk to me. that was awkward for me cuz i never shut up i mostly talked to myself. but i have met others that had that and i prolly wouldnt even have known til they said somethin!