Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Nibbled my way to disaster

Ugh, I had such a bad eating day and I feel so discouraged. It started out pretty great, with just a high fiber high protein Kashi bar and coffee. Then I went for a 5 mile run, came back and started some spring yard cleanup which involved raking and hauling many loads of debris out to the compost pile. This went on for a few hours, and I started to get hungry so I had a weight loss shake and an apple before running some errands. When I got back, I did more yard cleanup and that is where the problems started. Mid afternoon is my danger time anyway, and all the exercise was making me hungry, so I had a piece of Laughing Cow cheese on a Wasa cracker, then I started nibbling on all the crap we have around the house because my husband is a sugarholic. Normally I just ignore it, but once the floodgates opened, it was hard to stop. I just kept grabbing two chocolate covered raisins here, a couple of Good 'n Plentys there, a few potato chips...nibble nibble nibble all afternoon. I never felt satisfied, each little bite was so small it hardly made a dent in my need to be satisfied, but I stopped even counting after a while because it got so out of hand and I was afraid of the damage I had done. I am sure it was hundreds of calories when all the little bites were added up, and i am so mad at my inability to control myself.

I know that the problems started because I was doing too much exercise for the amount of fuel I was putting into my body, and I allowed myself to get way too hungry before I tried to feed myself appropriately.

Has anyone else triggered a binge because of a day of hard labor? The lack of control was a scary feeling. I just hope I can get back on the rails tomorrow. I have never been able to diet and lose weight before, and now that the weight is actually coming off, I am so scared of backsliding or doing anything to ruin what I have accomplished so far.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 143/138/119

Height: 5'1"

Its all in our heads. You had a bad day, just one. And it may not have been quite as bad as you think...sometimes if I can stop myself sliding and just sit and write up my calories its not as bad as I felt it was...

But whatever it was we can stop and pick ourselves up and carry on. I'm saying "we" because this is my biggest challenge too...not that I have a bad day here and there but that I feel as if once I do I can't get back on. I allowed myself to fall off and not get back on for two years and really felt that I was powerless. But now that I am doing this I see that its really all in my mind. I can choose to carry on and have a better day tomorrow. (Even if it feels really difficult.)

You can too! I hope you are having a better day today!

Oh and just to add...I find it really dangerous to get too hungry too. It almost happened tonight.

I am finding it really encouraging to check in here...reading success stories or even seeing the amazing results on people's tickers!

Take care...
Lee
Lee NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #3  

I've learned that one of the biggest differences between long-term maintainers and those who regain is that the former do not quit. They keep putting one foot in front of the other, no matter what. It is extremely common among those of us with weight problems to exaggerate the importance of one day (or even one week) of overeating. If you put it in perspective, though, what is one day or even one week when compared to a lifetime of healthy eating? I think about all the times I allowed a bad eating day or a bad-eating streak to derail me completely, and I realize that if I had just gotten back on plan, I might have gained a few pounds, but I would not have regained all my weight.

It's normal for those of us who watch our weight to distrust ourselves. I'm trying to combat that by telling myself that I am in control. No one can force food into my mouth. It's a simple but important truth that we all should tell ourselves so that we can reassert that we have control of our eating.

Last edited by lin43; 03-16-2012 at 07:23 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #4  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

Most definetly know where your coming from! Dont let this bring you down. Pick your self up and keep going. You only fail if you quit otherwise it was just a dip in the road.
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everyone! It was a better day today. I was 2 lbs heavier than a few days ago, but I KNOW that I did not eat 7000 calories extra yesterday, so it must be water retention from the chips.

I calmed down, kept my hand out of the candy jar, my nose to the grindstone and just kept looking forward. I feel more in control and motivated today. Thank you all for your support. You guys are the best!
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

You might just be retaining water from all of the hard yard work. That won't stick around. Just try a portioned sweet treat, snack, or gum next time and see if that helps out. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are hard bodies or lard butts...everyone is entitled to a bad day once in a while. I wrestled with the quest for perfection for a long time. I was over trying and failing but I noticed when I did try but failed, I still ended up a few pounds lighter so now I have the mindset that I will just keep going, even if I have to "fail" my way to a healthy weight.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 143/138/119

Height: 5'1"

Well done Gardendiva for getting back on track the next day. I logged on here this morning to see how you did Good for you!!

I am heeding your post too because I need to get outside today and stack a load of wood so will make sure I eat my meals and don't get too hungry along the way!

I liked lin's post and also 4star...I like that..."fail myself to a healthy weight" - thats good to keep in mind if we have a perfectionist streak in us

Take care... keep going!!!

Lee
Lee NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #8  

Gardendiva,

I’m glad to see that you recomposed yourself and you're back on track. When you know you're going to do hard work and will want to eat more. You should plan for it. Have whole warm steam veggies on hand Or make some kind of low calorie rice and veg dish. Or have lots of different fresh fruits on hand and eat them like candy.

I have a hard time too because of a skinny Sugarholic man, who makes me bake for him. One thing that makes me not want to touch his sweets is that they’re bad for your heart and will clog your arteries and will cause strokes and heart attacks. I know this because my man had a mild heart attack and ended up in the hospital. He now has a heart stint and is still under doctor’s care even though it’s been over a year.

He didn’t learn his lesson very well but I did. He’s young and shouldn’t have this old man’s disease but his mother was a Sugarholic and she fed her children junk and sugars all their lives growing up. She passed away before her time and both of his sisters have health problems related to weight and sugar, Trans fats and saturated fats and their children are on the same path. I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Good Luck,

Jen
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
I am sure it was hundreds of calories when all the little bites were added up, and i am so mad at my inability to control myself.
Doesn't sound like a disaster to me. I measure disasters in units of 1,000. It sounds like you've learned something about yourself from the experience, which is the important thing.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I have many days like this! YOu are not alone! My biggest problem is shopping when I'm hungry before lunch and during 3-5 in the afternoon. I always end up getting those individual size little debbie snacks and ruining everything!!!

I always hate the way I feel after so i eat something salty to get rid of the sweet, then salty again....horrible horrible cycle!! But you are not alone! I think it's important that as long as you can recognize your mistakes you can make a changes right then for the next meal.
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote