Atkins - Is it good to stay in Induction until you've reached your goal weight?

globetrotter74
02-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Hello to everyone out there.. I was wondering if anyone plans on staying in induction until you have reached your goal weight?

reachingthatgoal
02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I stay pretty close to induction until I'm within 10 pounds. Sometimes, for variety I may eat some nuts or low carb treats... but for the most part, induction long-term is healthy.

globetrotter74
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Ok as I was thinking to stay to induction until I'm at goal and them move into maintenance

Brooklynn
02-26-2012, 06:40 PM
according to the website you should move on when your with in ten lbs of your goal. Have you read the book or looked at the info on the site? good ideas if your going to do atkins not that induction is unhealthy but if you dont want to eat that way for ever best to get your body used to more carbs and see what your limit is.

globetrotter74
02-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I've read the book when I did Atkins a few years back and now I've just returned back to the Atkins..some says it's ok to stay with induction until you have reached your goals others say they wouldn't. I guess it all depends on you and your body. The last time I did atkins I stayed in induction until I reached goal and did have any problems after as I gradually added carbs per week, so I may go that same route and evetually move on to the GI Diet for maintenance after I see what my carb level is to maintain the weight loss.

I came back after a few years as I got lazy and put back on weight just from sitting around and eating all the wrong foods. I tried other diets but this is the one that works the best for me

Buckaustink
02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
I plan on staying on induction until I reach goal weight or close to it. I have tried increasing my carbs before on atkins and my body just doesn't do well with too many carbs. I guess everyone is different. If it isn't broke don't fix it my grandma used to say.:smug:

StephanieM
02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Once I'm within 30 lbs of goal I'm going to re asses and decide whether to do induction for a bit longer or if I should move onto OWL if I'm bored with the food. I believe with OWL you slowly add certain foods back in until your losing about 2 lbs a week, then there is premaintenance and then maintenance.

globetrotter74
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I plan on staying on induction until I reach goal weight or close to it. I have tried increasing my carbs before on atkins and my body just doesn't do well with too many carbs. I guess everyone is different. If it isn't broke don't fix it my grandma used to say.:smug:

Hey Buckaustink I'm very familiar with that statement LOL..

kaplods
02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm no longer on Atkins (I use a low-carb exchange plan), but I wanted to mention that not everyone (even if they have a lot to lose) should stay on induction.

For many years, I wrongly thought that Atkins was incredibly unhealthy and even dangerous, because I was so sick on induction. And it wasn't simply carb withdrawal or induction flu as the illness didn't go away after two weeks or even six, in fact it only got worse (to the point that I passed out several times).

I now recognize the symptoms as low blood sugar, but at the time I thought Atkins was dangerous (at least for me). What I didn't try back then (and I wish I would have) was moving on to OWL.

I'm not saying that everyone should avoid prolonged induction, I'm just saying if you get very sick and stay very sick on induction, first try eating more often or adding calories (from protein and fat) and if that doesn't help, consider moving on to OWL before deciding that Atkins isn't for you.

globetrotter74
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Good advice kaplods, I actually haven't felt sick or anything even in the past when I first went on atkins years ago. Like you mentioned everyone's body is different and you have to do what is better for you..

I never tell people I'm on atkins as I know all I will hear is negativity etc..

Buckaustink
02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Good point. I never felt sick on inducation either but will keep that in mind..and I agree on neg this is the only Aktins really friendly board I found that lets you do what works for you. I work better with less than 10 carbs but metnion that on another site and man you should here them.

globetrotter74
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Good point. I never felt sick on inducation either but will keep that in mind..and I agree on neg this is the only Aktins really friendly board I found that lets you do what works for you. I work better with less than 10 carbs but metnion that on another site and man you should here them.

You are right about that Buckaustink. I've been on another site and I'm not going to call names, and I was like is this a support site or a site to make you feel bad that you aren't doing it the way they want you to. Nothing but nice people here..

Natalia
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I just retead DANDR and basically you can stay on induction until you are almost there, but premaintenance is an important step. So maybe, go to premaintenance at 5-10lbs before goal.

Pre-maintenance helps you practice maintenance, and also helps you find your CRitical Carb Level for Losing....ie without this step you'll have no clue what level of carbs is "just right" to neither gain, nor lose.

airomatic
03-07-2012, 02:15 AM
I figured I would stay in induction until I get close to my goal unless I start feeling deprived or get tired of the restriction then work my way up.

Brooklynn
03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
For me if I dont eat close to the 20 carbs a day I start feeling really weak and tired, I do go to the gym 5 days a week though so that plays a role to. I eat lots of veggies and protein but I have noticed that now I cant eat eggs I have a hard time getting my cals and fat up which also plays a big role in how I feel. I added almonds on the days in the week when Im really low in induction which I will continue to have they help give me a little boost of energy. You just have to find what works for you if you feel sick, weak or what have you and stay that way time to reassess the situation. not that its bad for you or that you cant stay at 20 just may need different foods. Oh avocado works well for me too.

canadianwoman
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I will raise my carbs a little higher when I am 20 pounds away from goal.

globetrotter74
03-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I will raise my carbs a little higher when I am 20 pounds away from goal.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm 23 pounds away from my goal so i said I'm going to stick with Induction and once I have reached goal then start to add carbs back 5 grams per week. I was even thinking about sticking to a low carb diet after I've reached goal and give myself one day a month to eat what I want. This time I'm going to reach goal and continue on with maintaining. I've learned from my mistakes.

canadianwoman
03-09-2012, 08:46 PM
That sounds like a good plan. I'm 23 pounds away from my goal so i said I'm going to stick with Induction and once I have reached goal then start to add carbs back 5 grams per week. I was even thinking about sticking to a low carb diet after I've reached goal and give myself one day a month to eat what I want. This time I'm going to reach goal and continue on with maintaining. I've learned from my mistakes.

I was going to up my carbs only 2 per day per week and see where that brings me.

globetrotter74
03-10-2012, 03:26 AM
I was going to up my carbs only 2 per day per week and see where that brings me.

I was thinking to do 5 carbs per week. I'm hoping I will have reached my goal by the first of May.. but I know from the last time I did this diet a few years back that I got lazy and didn't stick to not only low carbing but just eating healthy and right.

minoja75
03-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi all...I too am in the induction phase and plan to stay here until I feel it's safe to move to phase 2 but I'm pretty sure it will be when I hit goal. I did Atkins a while back and it worked well but then of course with all the down talk about it I looked for something else and found the Michael Thurmond plan which was okay but seemed like I was always hungry and always trying to figure out what the heck to eat to have any type of variety. After the break up make up game with that I finally went completely off track and gained back every pound in my life I had ever carried plus 30 more. This time I decided on Atkins and am loving it...I feel like there are so many yummy things I can make and so many grab and go snacks and the shakes really save me. I tried the all phases bars but every time I use them even if it's only one a day my weight loss slows so only shakes and real food. I am hoping to finally take this weight off for good and so far this has been working really well for me. I think that no matter how long I wait to move on to phase 2 I will always be a little apprehensive about it but like most of you were saying I will try just adding a couple extra carbs and see what happens.

Good luck to all of you on your journey!!!

globetrotter74
03-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Hey Minoja, congrats on the weight loss.. I do understand where you are coming from. You have to find a diet and a system that works best for you. I've never heard of the Michael Thurmond plan but in the end if it really didn't work for you a in the sense you were hungry and didn't know what to est etc.. then it is best to find a plan that tailors your lifestyle. Atkins has always worked for me I just got lazy a few years back and didn't stick healthier eating habits. I'm 22 pounds within my goal and I'm still pretty much sticking to induction. The scale is moving steady and that is what I want :carrot:

This forum is great for sharing ideas and motivation..:D

JerseyGyrl
03-20-2012, 07:21 AM
I tried the all phases bars but every time I use them even if it's only one a day my weight loss slows so only shakes and real food.

Keep in mind those Atkins bars are really not Induction appropriate since they contain ingredients not on the acceptable foods list like milk, peanuts & soy.
This might help you have a better understanding of those bars:)
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

globetrotter74
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
That's very true JerseyGyrl, I never really got into the shakes and bars, so it never has been a problem for me. I know from others that is does cause stalls in induction.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue2/cartooncat01/lb/154.8/122/144/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

minoja75
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks globetrotter74 and JerseyGyrl! Love this forum too! And thank you JerseyGyrl for the info. I think that I ignored the ingredients in those bars since not knowing meant I could eat a candy bar on my diet but I have learned my lesson. The main reason I like the shakes though is because it's hard for me to stomach the thought of eating breakfast sometimes so at least with those I am getting the protein I need without getting off track by not eating at all.
Congratulations to you both on your success! Good luck globetrotter74 with that last 22 pounds, I'm sure it will be gone before you know it!

JerseyGyrl-I saw your before and after pics and you look amazing! What a great job!

minoja75
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Okay...well I just read the information on that site you provided and I think I am definitely going to give up the shakes as well...wow, I will have to think twice next time I want to choose to turn a blind eye! Thanks again, this will probably help me reach my goal a little faster.

JerseyGyrl
03-20-2012, 12:06 PM
JerseyGyrl-I saw your before and after pics and you look amazing! What a great job!

Thank you for your kind words:)
In a few weeks, I'll be celebrating 8 years on Atkins:carrot:
I'm a fixture on this board and will always continue to tell people about the Atkins lifestyle!
All the best to you!:hug:

globetrotter74
03-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the encouragement minoja. It feels good to see that I'm getting close to my goal..

You keep on going and you will see the results

Buckaustink
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
It just occured to me that the reason I am staying on induction so long is because I never can stick to it 100% for two weeks....

globetrotter74
03-21-2012, 05:23 PM
It just occured to me that the reason I am staying on induction so long is because I never can stick to it 100% for two weeks....

I know it can be hard for those especially if you are used to a glass of wine or fruit, but just know once you make it through those first 2 weeks you will be able to gradually add back somethings.. Hang in there..