Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #1  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Talking Amazing leaders and their impact on you!

Just wanted to hear other people's stories of what their leaders are like.
Mine is fantastic. Mary Ellen is super sweet and extremely helpful. She gives us things like "gems of wisdom" for each pound we lose to keep in glasses so we can see our achievements building. She also gives us "golden hangers" and has us walk down a red carpet when we lose a size (if we want to, she never forces us into anything). She also gives us the little hand clappers that you slap together so we can applaud people at meetings. Often times we'll walk in and she'll have music on and a bubble machine going. She is extremely motivating and always welcoming to new people. She genuinely cares about her group members. If you miss a meeting she will take the time to get your address out of the system and send you a card telling you that the group misses you. I truly believe that she has impacted a great deal of my weight loss thus far.
Anyone else have any fantastic leaders they want to chit-chat about?
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Vow who is she? Your trainer?
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #3  
Pinup extraordinaire!

No, she's my leader at WW meetings.

Last edited by tessendicott; 02-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

My favorite leader is a person whose sayings and quirks still pop up in my head from time to time.

She was my very first WW leader, and originally I picked the time and place simply because it was the most convenient, but I definitely stayed for this woman and the group.

Ellen was adorable. She was this sweet, tiny woman (under 5 feet) who just beamed positivity. She'd come into meetings singing (off-key, and joking about it). She'd make silly puns. She had this slightly self-deprecating humor, but it was so lighthearted. For example, sometimes her weekly topic boards had spelling mistakes or cross-outs on them, she'd (with complete honesty) talk about how she'd been indulging in a glass of wine on a Saturday night while catching up on a soap opera and so that's why her boards looked the way they did. The way in which she told those little stories just added to the week.

She also had a wonderful way of really understanding the tough times. She was a kind woman who you could just tell was naturally empathetic to those going through a difficult time staying on plan. Her advice was spot on, and she was ever-encouraging.

The group, too, made a difference. There were definitely a group of 10 or so regulars who contributed heavily to making the weekly experience a positive one. There was a woman in maintenance who used to come with her daughter who was also in maintenance. There was a woman who sat next to me and we'd chat before meeting. There were a few men all with larger amounts to lose. (There was also the slightly crazy woman who tried to kiss me when I had to tell the group that I was moving away from the area...but really she only added the fun type of drama to the group. She was a bit nutty... and I say that in a fond way.) Everyone had something good to give to the group.

Back to Ellen, though, her personality just clicked with what I needed each week. I always felt re-energized after going to see the group. I still remember her words of wisdom, and if driving 3 hours to and from a meeting wouldn't be a problem I'd still be going to her meetings.

I'm looking forward to hearing about other members' experiences with their leaders and groups
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #5  
Pinup extraordinaire!

Thanks for sharing loveley! She sounds a lot like Mary Ellen. I love great leaders. They make your weeks so much better!