Ideal Protein Diet - 1 Restricted per day= New Protocol????

SaraBean
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I read somewhere in another thread that we are supposed to eat 1 restricted packet per day. I barely ever eat the restricted packets and I haven't been losing much weight per week (.6 lbs in 2 weeks....). Could that be why? I have been following the diet to the T. No cheating, drinking all my water, etc.....

Is this true? Are we really supposed to have a restricted packet everyday? This is news to me.... What have your coaches said?

idealpromom
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Sara,
My coach said I would have better results if I limited the restricted.... so I do a restricted 3 times a week.

Momto2cs
02-03-2012, 02:03 PM
My coach and others on the board encouraged me to switch one of my non restricted for a restricted. It seems to have helped get the scale moving a bit, and I do like the bars and snacks!

Survalia
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
It is not REQUIRED to have one a day, but some people find that their loss is actually better when they do. I always do, not because of my loss rate but because they just taste so darn good! If I don't have a "treat" once in a while, I get angry and resentful and would be more inclined to cheat, or worse, say the heck with it all together. The bars hit the spot for me and satisfy that desire for dessert.

SaraBean
02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks everyone. Maybe I will try eating one everyday and see if it helps increase my weight loss.

I am starting to get frustrated that the scale hasn't budged.... I am willing to try anything new that might jump start my results :)

DanafromAustin
02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
My coach's only requirement is no restrictives before bedtime. I've eaten a bar for breakfast everyday since I started and my weight loss has been good overall. What you might be dealing with now is slow weight loss because you are so close to goal.

SaraBean
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks Dana. I don't understand how different coaches tell people different things.... I thought this was a strict protocol.

Maybe I will start having a bar as my breakfast every morning :)

YvetteSki
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I had a restricted item everyday since day 1 and I never stopped losing. I don't think I would have done so well without having one everyday ... lol

New Englander
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I enjoy my restricted every morning...(Chocolate, chocolate bar)...YUM! I switched coaches at my clinic and one would tell me not to eat one/day and the other says it's fine and she did it on the diet!

Due to their higher carbs etc. I was told not to have them in the evening before bed...give it a try for a couple of weeks. My loss hasn't been stalled by eating one per day and I feel as though I'm not starving myself of much needed carbs etc... :) ENJOY THEM!!!

DanafromAustin
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks Dana. I don't understand how different coaches tell people different things.... I thought this was a strict protocol.

Maybe I will start having a bar as my breakfast every morning :)

This is my one complaint with IP, the different information the coaches are giving out. My coach is pretty much by the book, doesn't even allow Splenda, Mio, etc... In the meantime enjoy a bar for breakfast. By the time you count the bar as net carbs they really aren't that high in carbs.

mtnsun4
02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I read somewhere in another thread that we are supposed to eat 1 restricted packet per day. I barely ever eat the restricted packets and I haven't been losing much weight per week (.6 lbs in 2 weeks....). Could that be why? I have been following the diet to the T. No cheating, drinking all my water, etc.....

Is this true? Are we really supposed to have a restricted packet everyday? This is news to me.... What have your coaches said?

Hi Sara- I started over three weeks ago and it stated on my protocol sheet to have no more than 1 restricted daily.

Momto2cs
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
The problem is that coaches have their own preconceived ideas about weight loss and nutrition. Most coaches are past "losers". I don't believe many are doctors, nutritionists, personal trainers, etc. not that those people always have the tight answers either!

Read all the information for yourself and make informed decisions. And this forum always has a vast array of information!

Paint Lady
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I wasn't allowed restricteds until phase 2. No restricted veggies, no restricted packets. However, once I started coaching my son's soccer team, I ate alternative restricteds because I needed more calories and I didn't totally like my coach's version of IP. I didn't really notice any difference in weight loss by adding the restricted, but I never really stalled at all. I think the closer you get to goal, the slower your losses are. You may try adding restricteds to see if it "shocks" your body into letting some weight go. Also, when I was officially allowed to have restricteds in phase 2, I was advised to eat them at night. I don't trust my coach, she has no idea about nutrition, so I did a little research on my own. According to Dr. Tran, you want your carbs in the evening, because it takes your body about 8 hours to process carbs and make them ready for the body to use. That's why in maintenance, you're supposed to eat your carb heavy meal for dinner. By morning, your body is ready to use them up instead of storing them as fat.

JellyMae87
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Just eat em... They are yummy!!

janniegoingdown
02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
It is not REQUIRED to have one a day, but some people find that their loss is actually better when they do. I always do, not because of my loss rate but because they just taste so darn good! If I don't have a "treat" once in a while, I get angry and resentful and would be more inclined to cheat, or worse, say the heck with it all together. The bars hit the spot for me and satisfy that desire for dessert.

I totally agree!

JKfromIL
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I have a bar once every couple of weeks . Usually on a Saturday when I am running errands. I was nervous in te befinning as the weeks that I had the bars were always lower losses. But, that could just be a coincidence. I was told starting in week 3 that I could have restricteds but, that it would slow down the losses. So I have them very rarely.

gs463
02-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I have been allowed 1 restricted per day since day 1. I eat mine in the evening always and have been averaging a 3 lb per week loss.

SaraBean
02-04-2012, 01:40 PM
It is so crazy how different everyone's responses are in this thread.....

Guess our coaches really do have their own preconceived ideas about weight loss and nutrition like stated above....

Frustrating :)

I will do like a few of you mentioned and try eating one restricted in the AM.

THANKS for the input.

patns
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
It is so crazy how different everyone's responses are in this thread.....

Guess our coaches really do have their own preconceived ideas about weight loss and nutrition like stated above....

Frustrating :)

I will do like a few of you mentioned and try eating one restricted in the AM.

THANKS for the input.

Please keep us updated how this goes. My coach said to have it as a snack during the hardest part of your day. So I have mine with a cup of coffee on my long commute home. T
hen I don't feel like eating the house down when I finally get in which is what I would do before IP.
It is likely best to start with it in the morning and see how that goes.

Pat
Good luck!

SaraBean
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Please keep us updated how this goes. My coach said to have it as a snack during the hardest part of your day. So I have mine with a cup of coffee on my long commute home. T
hen I don't feel like eating the house down when I finally get in which is what I would do before IP.
It is likely best to start with it in the morning and see how that goes.

Pat
Good luck!

Thanks Pat..... I will let you know how it goes after my next weigh in :)

SaraBean
02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Well.... I have been eating one restricted a day and my weigh in was better the usual this week! I lost 3.8lbs. Usually I average around 1.5-2lbs. So maybe eating the restricted helped me..... or maybe it was just a coincidence. Either way it didn't hurt :)

ljboman
02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I have been doing IP for five weeks today. I have lost 28lbs and 22 inches and I've eaten my Peanut Crunch bar every night after supper.

kdspirited
02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I used to have one restricted when I had more weight to loose. Now that I am down to my last 10 lbs it seems the week I have restricted I dont loose any weight. So I am doing one week on and one week off.

DanafromAustin
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Well.... I have been eating one restricted a day and my weigh in was better the usual this week! I lost 3.8lbs. Usually I average around 1.5-2lbs. So maybe eating the restricted helped me..... or maybe it was just a coincidence. Either way it didn't hurt :)

I'm happy to hear it worked out for you, and like you said coincidence or not you had a good weight loss this week. I know I'd be hating this diet if I couldn't have my morning bar for breakfast. Sad, but it's the highlight of my IP diet. Well that and my vanilla shake with cinnamon at snack time. ;)

Marionm
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Sara, What I think is true is that everyone's body metabolizes at a different rate and we also burn more or less calories based on our activities. I stall if I don't use restricted and add protein because of activity level. I think there is a baseline for the program, but situations like these are where a knowledgeable coach can be a huge asset. If you are stalled then making a gradual change is probably a good plan. It sounds like you've had some success with more restricted item, so watch the next few weeks and see how it goes.

Good luck!

jennydoodle
02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
I ate (1) restricted every single day and I don't think it hindered my weight loss at all. Even on now that I am on maintenance, I still have an alternative restricted every afternoon for a pre-workout snack.

Also, remember, you are very close to goal. The closer I got, the harder it was to lose.

thin4me
02-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Also, when I was officially allowed to have restricteds in phase 2, I was advised to eat them at night. I don't trust my coach, she has no idea about nutrition, so I did a little research on my own. According to Dr. Tran, you want your carbs in the evening, because it takes your body about 8 hours to process carbs and make them ready for the body to use. That's why in maintenance, you're supposed to eat your carb heavy meal for dinner. By morning, your body is ready to use them up instead of storing them as fat.

I have a restricted item every day now as my bedtime snack. Gives me something to look forward to every evening and I agree, it takes a lot longer to process the carbs. I find if I don't have it in the evening I wake up light headed

CassiR
02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I wasnt eating restricted bars every day until I noticed I had really low energy in the mornings. My coach told me to have a bar for breakfast every morning and it should help the energy level. It has been great! When I get to work I'm ready to go! Also, it has really helped my cravings. I look forward to every morning eating my chocolate or peanut butter bar. :)

emkay
02-13-2012, 08:37 PM
oh my... now i'm thinking my slow weight loss could be due to my knocking out almost all restricteds. i was was told at my last weigh in, 2 weeks ago, (when i was handed the sheet on carb totals for IP products) that the lower my daily carbs the better my weight loss would be. since then i have tried to keep them between 20-25 or lower! sad to say most days i come in around 17 or so due to skipping the restricteds and higher carb non-restricteds. i've also just about stopped losing. (see my previous post "looking for encouragement... please". wow! this could be my answer! think i'll be adding some restricteds to my daily menus and see how it goes.

Samba
02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
My coach gave me a meal plan for the first 11 days. A restricted nearly every day.

pegv
02-13-2012, 08:59 PM
oh my... now i'm thinking my slow weight loss could be due to my knocking out almost all restricteds. i was was told at my last weigh in, 2 weeks ago, (when i was handed the sheet on carb totals for IP products) that the lower my daily carbs the better my weight loss would be. since then i have tried to keep them between 20-25 or lower! sad to say most days i come in around 17 or so due to skipping the restricteds and higher carb non-restricteds. i've also just about stopped losing. (see my previous post "looking for encouragement... please". wow! this could be my answer! think i'll be adding some restricteds to my daily menus and see how it goes.

I was stuck for a couple of weeks because I was'nt eating enough food. Your body probably is going into starvation mode with that low amount of carbs. I looked at my food diary and I lost the most when I ate a restricted everyday. My coach told me to not to worry about carbs and just follow the plan. The restricted food does have high amount of carbs but I think they are there so your body doesn't think it is starving. Good Luck!

emkay
02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
good news!!! thank you pegv! loving to hear this! :)

patns
02-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Excellent weigh in!!! Good news.

I really think from previous experience with low carb diets, if carbs are cut way back the weight will instantly be regained.
As for the coach saying the lower the carbs the better the loss, she may as well be working with Atkins or my latest before IP disaster Dukan.
This plan is carefully balanced and coaches really don't have the right to over ride what is outlined in the protocol.
I also feel badly seeing people cutting back on healthy vegetables in order to cut carbs.

Pat

mamacitaof2
02-14-2012, 08:50 AM
I have had a restricted nearly every day and don't feel it's hindered my weight loss. I typically had it before bedtime or sometimes an afternoon snack depending on how hundry I am and TOM. Reading some of these posts, I may switch it to my morning meal.

GemIAm
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I ate only 2 or so restricted items this week and only lost 1.8 lbs...think I will try one restricted a day and see what next week brings : )

sarahmayhem
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Just eat em... They are yummy!!

agreed! i don't think i could do the diet without the restricted foods...they taste the best haha!

lbixby
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Everyone, I have a quick question, i am on week 4 and my coach will not let me have restricted's till phase 2. I feel like I am starving a lot of the time! So i was thinking about adding in my own, possibly Pure Protein Bars, but they have approximately 18 to 20 grams of Carbs. Are these ok??? Thanks, its is getting hard to stick to some days!!

wuv2bloved
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi Everyone, I have a quick question, i am on week 4 and my coach will not let me have restricted's till phase 2. I feel like I am starving a lot of the time! So i was thinking about adding in my own, possibly Pure Protein Bars, but they have approximately 18 to 20 grams of Carbs. Are these ok??? Thanks, its is getting hard to stick to some days!!

Yup, you are good to go on the Pure Protein bars, Just make sure its the smaller one. I know there are 2 different size ones. If you decide to have the restricted take one of your packets away so you should have 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted

Momto2cs
02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
If you notice bloating and/or bad gas (sorry tmi) it could be the sugar alcohols in the pure protein bars.

I have found another bar called the simply bar with similar carb/protein/calories but no sugar alcohols. They don't taste as good though!

Sewmam
02-16-2012, 08:43 AM
I think I'm confused. I've loved the bars and have them at night. Have tried to limit restricted to 3-4/week.

I like the idea of having it in the morning if it helps supply some energy, but then I read the post about Dr. Tran saying you should have them at night.

Have also read that just changing things around can fool the body into losing a few more pounds. My coaches have been pretty good, though they do have different ideas and are not nutrionists. I learn alot on the forums and just plain googling.

Trinique125
04-25-2012, 07:05 PM
bump

libbikins
04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
ya Sara, at first i thought it was that we could ONLY have one per day too, then my coach said something one time about HAVING to eat on restricted per day..... i'm confused as well !! but honestly I'm losing plenty fast, without eating many restricted so, I don't know... I kinda keep those for when I'm stressing and need more filling stuff !?

libbikins
04-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I have had a restricted nearly every day and don't feel it's hindered my weight loss. I typically had it before bedtime or sometimes an afternoon snack depending on how hundry I am and TOM. Reading some of these posts, I may switch it to my morning meal.

not supposed to have restricted after 2 p.m. !:cool:

libbikins
04-25-2012, 07:58 PM

when i was starving all the time it was because i wasn't eating enough in the daytime, especially my salads and veggies..... eat looooots of them. My fave dressing is Brianna's homestyle French Vinaigrette. I've gone thru like a dozen bottles of the stuff !!
:-)

IPdivajen
04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
So weird how the info is so different! My coach flat out says there is absolutely no difference related to what time you eat your restricted

Basically there aren't enough carbs it in at all to be stored into fat, so timing has nothing at all to do with it. So if you like it in the morning or before bed, what works for you just works!!

Someone earlier mentioned the potential for starvation mode and it's totally true! This is a low carb program, not no carb! Our bodies do need carbs to function, and a restricted daily is a key part in getting those carbs in.

I have a friend that every once in a while does a 'boot camp' where she doesn't have restricteds for a week to help kick loss back into gear. But then she's back on them again, and she's had great losses.

evepet
04-25-2012, 10:47 PM
If you notice bloating and/or bad gas (sorry tmi) it could be the sugar alcohols in the pure protein bars.

I have found another bar called the simply bar with similar carb/protein/calories but no sugar alcohols. They don't taste as good though!

Nice to see somebody else mention The Simply Bar. I think the one I've got is called Lemon Coconut or something like that. It doesn't seem quite like eating a candy bar, but I do still find it satisfying. And the nutritional stats are very good. And the lack of sugar alcohols is definitely a bonus.