Weight Loss Support - So totally discouraged

View Full Version : So totally discouraged

packgirl
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
When I started mid-December, my goal was to simply be healthier. In the course of that, I thought I'd lose weight.

For the last 7 weeks I've been:

working out 4-6 times a week
cutting back on what I eat -- portions, healthier choices
cut out soft drinks (went from a liter+ a day of coke to none)
cut out tea except 1-2 glasses a day (cut the sugar from that)
making sure to drink over 8 glasses of water a day
getting plenty of sleep

The results:

I feel better
I am getting stronger
Gained 10 pounds, lost 8 of those

So I'm at a 2 pound gain.

My initial thought was to look at clothing sizes and measurements. Well, guess what...no change there.

I just don't know what to do. I am recording everything I eat. I know I am eating differently and less. I know I am making better choices.

Why can I not see a difference anywhere?

Why can't I be happy with getting stronger? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

guacamole
02-02-2012, 06:45 PM
First off, congratulations on the positive changes you have made! Don't get discouraged because you are on the right track.

Without knowing what you are eating, it's hard to say what is stalling your weight loss. Perhaps you are eating foods high in salt/sodium? Are you tracking your calories or keeping some kind of measurement of your portion sizes? It can be shocking to find out how many calories we actually consume when we journal everything we eat and drink each day. Before I used a calorie tracking program, I was making mostly healthy food choices, but eating way more than I realized.

Also, remember that you are probably gaining muscle. I have also heard that when you do strength training, your muscles hang on to water initially. You might be in for a nice weight loss whoosh once your body adjusts to your new regimen.

Don't get discouraged - keep posting and keep trying! :carrot:

girlonfire
02-02-2012, 07:32 PM

packgirl
02-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Guacamole.

I am tracking and measuring. I use fitday and now sparkpeople. And I record everything. Over-estimating when there's a question.

I suppose I just will have to find a way to keep on going. Ugh.

EagleRiverDee
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
You are totally on the right track. Sometimes it takes a little while, but the changes you've made will definitely result in more weight loss (assuming you have not replaced the calories you cut with other calories). Keep doing what you're doing and you will see results. Sorry it's taking so long- sometimes our bodies are just stubborn!

Lori Bell
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
How many calories are you eating each day?

ETA: Oh and do you eat back calories burned from excercise?

JayEll
02-03-2012, 06:50 AM
I was also going to ask what Lori Bell asked. But my main comment is, you had a hidden agenda that you would lose weight, even though your stated "goal" was to become healthier. What you've found is that you're now healthier. So, if you want to lose weight, make that your stated goal and do some research into different ways to do that. Weight loss doesn't usually happen as a side effect. :)

Jay

calmeida5018
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm almost in tears today!

Started 3 weeks ago, (weight watchers online) have kept on with the points, could use a bit more water, but the food has been on track.

Doing Bikram Yoga everyday for the past 2 days, (hard 90 minute yoga in 105F), so it's sit and meditate kind of thing.

I gained .8lbs the second week, and today WI day, lost the .8. I worked so hard! Had 24 activity points and didn't eat all my extra points.

I know I should be "happy" about this but it's very frustrating. I was hoping for better loss.

I'm going to vouch for more water this week, but everything else with the food has been good. I am eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, a few bits of chocolate here and there but within the limits.

I don't want to throw in the towel, but sometimes it's hard not to consider it.

I am now 178 lbs, 46 yo and 5'1 so want to lose at least 30lbs.

Thank you for listening!

Claudia

Rach1954
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
As much as you are working out, it sounds like you have gained some muscle mass which is heavier than fat. If your clothes are fitting the same and your dimensions are the same...you have lost fat and gained muscle. Congrats...you are doing better!

calmeida5018
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I have actually been doing bikram for SIX days straight, not two... hence the frustration.

Yes, rationally I know that's true, but it's so frustrating.

Do you think it is wise to weigh yourself every week or maybe every two?

Claudia

calmeida5018
02-03-2012, 12:58 PM
sorry, I think I was so frustrated I messed my whole response.

it is NOT sit and meditate yoga, it is very physical with a lot of front and back bends and one legged poses.

Rach1954
02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
MRC requires that we weigh in twice a week. Quick weight loss required once back in 1990's. Not sure what they require now. I don't have a scale at home which helps me make it to the center to go and weigh. So to answer your question...I think once a week is advisable.

MoveMoveMove
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
But remember that there are amazing changes going on in your body that aren't measured on a scale. Moderator Meg at 3fc

That's from my collection of favorite quotes about weight loss; I think it applies here.

calmeida5018
02-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Thank you again.

I'm just going to try and take this one day at a time, and focus on the end result and that I am getting healthier.

I remember years ago there was the carb something diet and they suggested you weigh yourself every DAY and then take the average for the week since our weight fluctuates so much and that would be the true loss.

What do you think???

ValRock
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Can you post a typical day of food, for you? When I start exercising my muscles retain water and I gain temporarily.

packgirl
02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Jay--I realize it was a hidden agenda. But really, can one be healthy at 250+ pounds? 7 weeks does not make one healthy. it's a start, but I'm far from being there. Losing weight /should/ come naturally when one is being healthy. I just don't see how I cut so much and started moving so much more and haven't seen any change in clothes/weight. I'm healthier than I was, but I'm not healthy. That still has to be my goal. A lifestyle change.

MoveMove---This is true. I just guess I'm feeling the need for some outward results!

A typical day....

Breakfast -- protein shake. I don't eat breakfast and need more protein, so this was the best option for me.
Lunch -- Salad with veggies, cheese, croutons, and italian dressing. I don't measure the spinach and veggies so much, but I do measure cheese (2 ounces reduced fat), croutons (6 croutons), and dressing (1-2 Tbl).
Dinner -- A black bean recipe found on Spark people. 1/5 cup on a whole wheat tortilla, an ounce of cheese, lettuce, Tbl reduced fat sour cream, 3 tbl salsa. Glass of tea
Snack -- yogurt or cottage cheese, handful of grapes

I'm not hungry. I'm not deprived.

I average between 1300 - 1500 calories a day. Which I think is pretty appropriate with exercise on most days. On class days (zumba and strength training) I try to boost it a little.

SanityNow
02-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi a couple of thoughts. That does not seem like a lot of food. Try upping the beans & veggies and cut back on the dairy. Also, if you really don't see any loss, maybe check with your doctor. There might be something funky going on with your thyroid or sugar levels. Don't get discouraged. You are putting in good effort and you Will succeed.

JayEll
02-04-2012, 07:21 AM
OK, since you don't think you're healthy, could we say healthier?

Looks to me like not enough food, and not enough protein, even with the shake. Are you vegetarian?

It takes a long time to build muscle mass, especially for women, so I don't think that you have gained enough muscle mass to account for what you're observing.

My guess is that you're not eating enough to support the level of exercise you're doing, and you might lose weight faster if you add more food, particularly protein foods. Consider consulting a registered dietitian--they understand more about nutrition than gym trainers and even most doctors.

Jay

SouthLake
02-04-2012, 01:42 PM
When I was at my highest of 239, I lost fairly steadily at 1700 calories a day but didn't budge a pound at 1500 a day or anything below. It looks to me that you're eating on the lighter side of thing. Maybe you should try bumping it up and dropping the calories gradually as you drop weight.

Everybody is different, and we each have to figure out what works for us individually. Don't give up. You're frustrated now, but a year from now you will be so happy you kept at it.

qtapostolic
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM
My guess is you're eating too many fruits. My sister is doing Weight Watchers and was getting really upset about her slow loses and even gaining some weeks. Then she showed her food journal to a fellow WW and they discovered my sister was eating about 8 whole fruits a day. Fruits are healthy but they do have calories. WW says fruit is FREE in Moderation.... well, for my sister... if she knew what moderation was, she wouldn't be heavy, lol. I think WW should say, Fruit is Free but only eat Three!

packgirl
02-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Jay---We can say healthier. :-) And I truly am healthier than I was 7-8 weeks ago.

I'm not vegetarian, I honestly have been trying to eat more meat in the last few weeks. I do eat a lot of dairy. I actually eat less cheese and sour cream than I used to! I've been eating a bit of chicken, eggs, or a hamburger steak. But still not enough. I'm tracking protein because I know I don't get enough. One reason for the shake. I made the bean dish Monday night and then ate on it three more times this week to make it disappear!

Eating more food is just going against everything that feels right. I know I ate too much before. I'm trying to eat enough to satisfy me. When I'm done with my meal, I'm full, but not stuffed. I don't go hungry. I'm not tired or weak. I have more energy than I've had in years. My ankle aren't swollen, I don't get winded. I really feel great.

I don't know how to share my sparkpeople or fitday food logs.

I've got an appointment with my physician on the 21st. I guess we'll see where I am at that point, and what she says. I gained two pounds this last week. Part of it could be that time, but no, I don't think it's muscle mass.

SanityNow
02-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Packgirl, I am sure that you are going to succeed. There are tons of different approaches folks have taken and those are the glasses through which we 'analyze' what others do. You are feeling good and that is such a blessing and achievement. Keep working through this. You are on a roll.

aliasihaya
02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I completely understand the frustration. I've been there/am there. I was really hoping that once I focused myself completely on these changes that I'd get healthier and lose weight during the process. And I truly believe that my body loves to hold on to the fat. It just doesn't like to let it go. But it's such a tricky formula. And it's different for everyone. It's not just cutting back on what you eat. It's also making sure that you're eating enough. It's not just working out and upping the exercise, but also making sure that you don't over due it and get yourself burned out. It all seems so conflicting to me sometimes. If I could just lose weight by reducing what I eat then I'd be happier. But I actually have to make sure that I'm eating enough. And some days it just gets overwhelming.

But you're making all the right changes. And it looks like you're sticking with it which is really hard to do when you don't see any changes. It definitely could be a lot of things. But it's a discovery process for you to figure out which thing. I think everyone here has given you a lot of good suggestions. And see what your doctor says. A lot of us have medical issues that we don't even know about. Good Luck!

SanityNow
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
aliasihaya is so right-on!