Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss - I saw a plastic surgeon today...

View Full Version : I saw a plastic surgeon today...

CherryPie99
02-02-2012, 06:10 PM
To see about getting my excess skin removed. I have a HUGE apron that hangs way way down.

The surgeon is going to submit photos and a letter to my insurance company to see if they will pay anything. If they do pay, it will only be to remove the apron. The surgeon was a little down on having the apron only removed - implying that it won't make much of a difference cosmetically or practically. Of course he wants me to have a full abdominal surgery. The cost for the entire procedure would be $8600.

IF the insurance pays for the apronectomy, and I elect to have the whole thing done, the insurance will not tell me how much they would pay. Apparently I would have to pay the whole $8600 up front and then they would reimburse me whatever they calculate - it could be $800 and it could be $5000. I can't justify in my mind spending $8600 on this, I just can't.

Does anyone know anyone or has anyone here had JUST the apron removed? Are you or they happy? Has it made a big difference?

CherryPie99
02-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?

DesertTabby
02-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Hey CherryPie99, admittedly I never heard of just having the apron removed. Is it sort of like a tummytuck without touching the abdominal muscles below it?

Either way, try posting this question in the Weight Loss Surgery forum and see if you can get better answers.

Shannon in ATL
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I know a woman who had the apron removed, went back about a year later for the full surgery. She did see a difference and was initially pleased with it, but over time decided to go for the rest of it. I believe that when she did get the full surgery she also had to have a hernia repaired and that might have been the final push to do it?