Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:43 AM   #1  

Default Need help....

I have been on WW since August 2, 2002. I have also been using Meridia every day. Up to now, I have had excellent results, I have lost over 63lbs by following WW Points and using the Meridia. However, lately I have been experiencing serious hunger pangs for most of the day, whereas before I did not. I have changed nothing froma diet/medication standpoint. I feel like I will eat dinncer or linch and 2 hours later I am starving. At this point, I should probably eat something small to hold me over, but that doesn't work either.. I am still feeling hungry. Anyone have any help or experience?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:09 PM   #2  

Default Losing over 63 lbs is great !

I don't know if this will help, but are you eating enough protein in your meals or snacks?

Protein raises your blood sugar and keeps it stable for a longer period of time than anything else you eat.
Your blood sugar dropping is what makes you hungry.

I always make sure when I have a snack that it includes at least 5 gms. of protein....and meals at least 10gms of protein.

Also if the Meridia isn't curbing your appetite the way it's supposed to, maybe you should mention it to the Dr. who prescribed it.
If you bought it over the internet "without a prescription", some of those websites offer a phone number where you can call the physician who is working with the online site to see what he/she suggests. There should be a phone number on the prescription bottle to call.
If there isn't:
< http://www.1clickprescriptions.com >
does have a physician who works with them.

If you've kept a food journal all the time you've lost weight, that can also help you figure out which foods worked best for you in the past.

I know that boredom is a huge food trigger for me.....if it is for you, go to the library or bookstore and find a new novel or take up a new hobby....just get your mind on something else, and try not to dwell on your weight loss slowing down.
I know that's like not dwelling on having an elephant in an elevator with you <G> ......but the stress of worrying about it will start to affect you physically.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:19 PM   #3  

Well, I spoke with the company that makes Meridia and they indicated to em (which I was not aware) that Meridia is not an appetite suppressant. Therefore, something has changed in my body since my weight loss to cause this change in hunger. I put a call in to my physician, but I am sure he is going to tell me to eat something. You may be correct about the protein, I really don't eat much of it, as most of the protein I like is high in fat..

I really need something that I can eat for breakfast that is both high in volume and low in Point value... to date I mostlty stuck with oatmeal or a bagel... but that just does not seem to be doing it..
Old 02-12-2003, 01:45 PM   #4  

Default Start checking your protein grams

If you've been using WW's plan, mention to them that you are hungry at times that you weren't before and they may have some suggestions.

Don't mean to stereotype, but most guys don't seem to like cottage cheese.
Don't know if that applies to you or not, but only a half cup of 4%fat cottage cheese has 14 or 15 gms. of protein and is only 90 calories. ( I like it with 4 or 5 Frito scoops)

Breakstone sells little individual half cup serving "thingies". You buy 4 at a time.

Also if you have a grocery store that carries Boar's Head brand deli meats and cheeses, try "Mesquite smoked turkey breast" or the regular turkey breast.
2 oz. are only 60 calories and turkey breast is high in protein.

What I like to use for snacks (if there's no refrigeration available or it's a road trip) that have protein is those cheese crackers with peanut butter that you can buy in just about any gas station mini-store.
190 to 210 calories per package (6 to a package) depending on the brand.

Also a small bag of Cheez-its (they're baked) crackers have around 5 gms. of protein with 220 calories.

If you're drinking 64oz. of water a day, try increasing it by a few glasses instead of diet soft drinks, for example.
Some diet experts think Aspartame (nutrasweet) causes people to crave more carbs !
Diet RC cola and Diet Rite cola are both sweetened with Splenda, not aspartame.
I've avoided aspartame like the plague for 3 years after I discovered it was responsible for the migraines I was having.

Seeing in your profile here what your job is and where you work.....I'd say your work days aren't exactly stress free right now.......makes exercise even more important to reduce the effects of stress on your body. (but I'm sure you already knew that).
I just hope this whole mess with Iraq (and don't know what to think about No. Korea) is over as quickly as possible.
Personally I think we should have hunted down Saddam's as* and killed him in 1991, but that's just my opinion.
My hubby's retired after 17 years in Army Reserve.
Closed Thread