Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #1  

Default Trying to find my way around...

Wow, there is A LOT on this site. I'm new, and still trying to figure it all out. All I know is that I need to do this this time (was just diagnosed with Type 2) and think if I surround myself with people who are going through the same thing it can only help, right?

A little about me...I'm a 33 year old mom to 5 kids, working full-time and trying to get back into school. I eventually want to lose about 100 lbs, but that is overwhelming to think about. Im gonna start making my way around some of these forums and figure out where I should be, but I wanted to introduce myself first.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend and I look forward to getting to know you all!!
Andrea11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!

There is a great diabetes support thread. Come on over and join us!

Good luck. Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

welcome Andrea!!

My biggest advice is to not think about losing 100 lbs right now, just think about 10 lbs or 5 lbs - whatever you feel good about challenging yourself to do but that you can realistically achieve within a reasonable time frame.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 293/195/130

Height: 5'2

Welcome! this site has great info and wonderful members!
startswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #5  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Welcome Andrea! You've come to a great place for support, advice, and friendship.

I agree with April Snow- don't think about the 100lb; divide it up into smaller chunks and it will seem much more manageable. You can do this! One of the main things that inspired me to lose the weight was the threat of diabetes (mom, uncle, grandparents all have/had it). You can get it under control; it's not too late.

Wishing you strength, determination, and success on your weight loss journey!
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #6  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hello Andrea to 3FC! You will find lots of encouragement and motivation here. I love to read and bounce around in all the threads.
I also can't look at the whole weight loss picture- it is overwhelming! I take it 5 Lbs. at a time. For each 5 Lbs. I reward myself... new lipstick, new magazine or a trip to the mall. Each Lb. loss is a new joy
Keep us posted!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Welcome, Andrea. I know you can do this. It seems so huge at first and then as the pounds start falling off, you realize how quickly time passes.

I made a chart from week to week with a goal set in for each Wednesday. The first 10 weeks my goal was to lose 3 pounds a week. After that, I tried for 1% per week. I wrote all the weekly goal weights down a column in an Excel spreadsheet. Then I posted my actual weight every Wednesday. I put in some formulas so it would calculate total loss, weekly loss, over or under goal, etc. So while I had the 100 pound ultimate goal (now changed to about 90 pounds - long story) I also had weekly goals that would get me to that big goal in a set amount of time.

I think mini goals are great. I think weekly and monthly goals are great. There's a great "points" monthly challenge in here every month - you get points for staying on plan with diet, exercise, and water. It's a really good way to keep yourself in line. There are other ongoing challenges - just jump in on any of them and do your best.

Take your time to get to know us. You'll like us when you do!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #8  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Welcome!!! I agree don't look at the whole 100lbs to lose, keep it at small goals and that will keep you going. All of us are in the same boat, glad you are making a healthy decision to change your lifestyle. It will take time but you can do this! Once you get into the groove of things, the time really does speed by!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote