Mini-Goals - Lose 1/2 of steroid weight gain.

View Full Version : Lose 1/2 of steroid weight gain.

nolabop
11-05-2011, 12:02 AM
I had brain surgery in April and was put on steroids for 3 months. I gained 22 lbs. I am now on daily medication that can make you gain weight. My first mini goal is to lose 1/2 of my steroid weight gain. I had this hope that having my surgery would cause weight loss, especially since I wasn't at all hungry for week.

So I need to prove to myself that I can lose weight despite the drugs I am on. 11lbs would feel amazing, and would let me stop saying "oh, it's really hard to lose weight with the drugs I am on so I might as well not try."

I am going to WW meeting this Thursday. I didn't like the program years ago but I know it's different now. I am convinced if I can give up on cream in my coffee, that will be half the battle. 1 qt of 1/2 and 1/2 is about 3500 calories and I drink at least one of those a week.

But I am looking for a substitute...for coffee, something with ritual. I think I'm going to learn how to make macha which is a kind of green tea. I need my drinking experience to feel like a real break from whatever I'm doing.

Wish me luck!

Lambiechop
11-05-2011, 12:08 AM
It may not be enough coffee for you but I make lattes. 1 cup skim milk, 3 cups strong coffee, a little sugar, and vanilla extract. Calories? A little over 100 depending on how much sugar you use.

HikingChloe
11-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Best of luck, I am a green tea drinker - I drink the one that has toasted rice in it (Genmaicha). Will not substitute your coffee/cream flavor but it is enjoyable its own right.

kirsteng
11-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I couldn't start the day without a big coffee - for me, that's become my breakfast. I have a cappuccino, using 1% (or sometimes 2%, if that's all we have) and microwaving it until it's boiling, then adding the coffee. I use sugar, but I measure out a tsp, and I also measured the milk until I knew I was eyeballing my serving size correctly - that way I just account for it. My coffee is about 75 cals, and I love every minute of it! ;)

GL!

Aunty Jam
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I hate steroids! I've been on and off them over the past 18 years :( Thankfully more off lately then on, I have an autoimmune disorder and I have to be really careful of flair ups.

I gradually reduced the cream in my coffee, first I moved to 1% milk then reduced that. I now take it black, I don't even like milky coffee like I used to. Every once in a while I have a bit of milk or cream but I could take it or leave it.

Congrats on your weight loss :) I gain tons of horrible weight on those drugs.