WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 11:14 AM   #1  
Getting better every day!

Unhappy Feeling waaayy toooo hungry-anyone else???

I am following the WW program very closely, going to meetings, etc. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I am and how are you dealing with it.
I am in the 22-27 point range, and almost every day, I use all my points. Yet, this past week, I thought I was going to literally die of starvation. Yesterday was my WI day, and even though I lost 2 lbs, I felt as if I should have lost 50, with the extreme hunger I was feeling.
I know that eating protein is a great help for hunger, and earlier in the week, when I thought I would die from the hunger, I made an omelette for breakfast, and added 2% cheese and 2 links morningstar farm sausage-a great low point breakfast, full of protein. I also had an orange and a glass of skim milk. However, it barely made a dent in my hunger.
Does anyone else have this problem??? HELP!!!
I stayed after my meeting yesterday to speak with my leader, but she was engaged in a conversation with another member and I could not wait.
Thanks for any help!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 11:03 PM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Are you getting your fat in? That also helps to crub hunger.
Its also very important to get it in also.

Try low fat dressing or full fat dressings.

Dont always go Fat free on everything.
I will also add some Avacado to a salad just to get some fat in.

Have you tried the free veggie soup in the getting started book? Great way to fill up also for 0 points. And get some Veggies in at the same time.

Sure others will have some suggestions for you.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:24 AM   #3  

I usually end up drinking more water when I am that hungry. It fills me up for a few hours. I also eat a few crackers w/ a smearing of peanut butter. If your body thinks it's starving won't it slow your metabolism? I'm new to this board, but have been to WW three times now. Here's hoping the third time is a charm!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:54 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

There are somedays that I feel like that especially in the first week or two. It does pass. Are you exercising? If you are it may mean you are not getting enough to eat. In week 6 I believe you get the points booster to help figure out the points but if you ask at your next meeting and tell them how much you are exercising then they may give you the stuff ahead of time.

Make sure you get in a balanced diet:

COMPLEX CARBS - 6-9 points a day
PROTIEN - 6-8 points a day
DAIRY - 4-6 points a day
FATS - 2-3 points a day THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
VEGGIE/FRUITS - 0-3 points a day

If they will not give you the exercise info use this until then.

The first 20 minutes - no points earned
For every additional 20 minutes - add 1 food point
Old 02-12-2003, 07:58 AM   #5  

Height: 6'0"

Everyone has given great advice. I felt the "starvation feeling" the first week of WW only. After that, some days I couldn't eat all of my points, so I banked them and then splurged a little on another day. That's what is great about WW--it's flexible!

Yes, get some fats in--very important.

The 0 point Vegetable Soup was a lifesaver for me.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:00 AM   #6  

Angry

Hi, I know what you mean about being hungry. I find that if I eat a lot of starch, I get hungry quicker than if I eat mostly protein and fat. I always use full fat salad dressing because the fat-free dressings are loaded with sugar. If you eat foods with a lot of sugar in them, even though they are fat-free, that can make you hungry too. Another thing that helps me get from breakfast to lunch is to have about 1/2 cup more milk in my cereal, and for some reason I'm satisfied until lunch. Otherwise, 2 hrs. after eating cereal I'm gnawing on the carpet. The next time you make your omelette w/cheese & sausage, have 2 slices of light toast with margarine, or if you prefer regular bread, 1 slice. The combination of protein, carbs, & a little fat might stay with you longer. Also, the 0 point soup is my lifesaver. Hope this will help you. Good luck!
Aleka
Old 02-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #7  

I think caffeine also makes you hungry. In the Body For Life program you eat 5-6 little meals a day, a protein and carb with each meal, and that seems to level out blood sugar. You just have to prepare more - that's why a lot of body builders use protein shakes (forget the bars - they're junk). I use low carb Grow! (from Netrition.com) one scoop of which is 2 points, and add it to skim milk for extra calcium and protein. That lasts me 3 hours.

You know, there's a lot of hype on Dotti's Weightloss Zone about the Skinny Cow things being only 2 points, but they don't curb hunger, I think they make it worse physically and psychologically. They also make my cravings for ice cream come back.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:01 PM   #8  

Yaseta, I looked at the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches after reading about them and they had a whopping 22 gm of sugar!! All that sugar makes you crave more and it's a endless cycle.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Try the Special K High Fibre cereal. I take a serving in a baggie & nibble on it dry at my desk when I am hungry. It seems to do the trick.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:08 PM   #10  
Just girl striving 4 thin

Wink hey

You know what I agree about the skinny cow thing...my hubby and I were indulging in them every night because i had the points and they are soo good. But my weight loss has been awful
- .6 - .6 -.2 (today -1#) and I am keeping on track really tight but getting aggrivated... I do have WI today so I will see how things go wtih out having those SKinny Cow. You knwo what we have instead...FF cool whip on sugar free jello... Orange is a new flavor that we like this week. I think the 0 point veggie soup was a life saver for us too...but after 5 weeks or so we got a little tired of it. But I think the veggie combo was filling us up and keeping the points low. I know I also can't always make my points every day... I know that sounds wierd...but I am trying to stick to program. I have increased my breakfast to eat up my points....no pun intended... :-) Thanks for letting me jump on in and give my 2 cents!
Sheree~AK
Old 02-20-2003, 09:24 PM   #11  

I am also starving all day long!!! All I think about is food! I think mine is more mind over matter...today is day 3 (again). So far I'm doing OK and the last time I did WW about 2-3 years ago I don't remember being so hungry. But back then I'd just have a smoke and that would curb it, but since I quit nothing works!! So if anyone can please forward that 0 pt. veggie soup I would really appreiate it.

Thanks,
Tracy
[email protected]
Old 02-21-2003, 10:12 AM   #12  
Just girl striving 4 thin

Wink recipes

Try to have healthy snacks around to munch on...
I eat some slim fast bars as a mid day snack...but try to keep those to a low roar since it may have alot of sugar. Just take your points counter to teh store and figure out some snacks that would fit into your points for the day. If you think you are on a "diet" then you are setting up your self for failure... It should be a life style change... Yesterday at WI our leader said you could one of three things... a Climber...getting to your points every day..working out eating the right groups of food...A Camper...just hanging out...And a Quiter! It IS all in the mind if you are not ready mentally to lose weight then you are not ready. Don't say you are NOT going to eat a certain food again then you will crave it more!! so indulge on those things or find alternative things to help you through your bad times... Tootsie Rolls (mini ones) are 4 for 1 point! here are the recipes...

Vegi Soup
Makes 10-12 1 cup servings (oh man I can't remember if this is 2 points per serving...I have to dig the paper work out)
1 lb lean ground beef (Iuse moose, buffalo or any lean meat)
1 large can whole tomatoes (28 oz) I think I am going to keep it to diced tom..don't like huge chunks in the soup
2 medium cans Italian Ready Tomatoes (14.5 oz)
2 medium cans sliced new potatoes (use fresh if you prefer)
3-4 heaping tsp. of beef bouillon crystals
1 regular size bag of frozen corn (16 oz)
1/2 regular size bag frozen peas (16 oz)
1 large onion
1 lb fresh mushrooms
Pepper to taste
Using a large Dutch oven pan place whole tomatoes, Italian ready tomatoes and 28 oz of water Add the beef bouillon crystals, potatoes, corn & Peas. Cook on medium. Brown the hamburger and then rinse with hot water. Add to soup mix. Sauté the onion and the mushrooms. (gives the soup a really good flavor) and add them to the soup mix. I then add pepper to taste and let simmer on low for about a 1/2 hour. It is delicious! Again, you can use whatever vegetables you want...

Garden Vegetable Soup (0 point soup)
2/3 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cup fat free broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
1 1/2 cups diced green cabbage
1/2 cup green beans
1 Tbs tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup diced zucchini
Spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray, sauté the carrot, onion and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 min.
Add broth, cabbage beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, about 15 min. or until beans are tender. Stir in Zucc and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot!
ANother good filler...
Turkey Chili
In skillet (I always double this for more than one) brown 3 oz meat (turkey~moose~hamburger~buffalo) Add 1/2 can chili style tomatoes adn 1/4 cup drained canned black beans. Bring to a boil, tehn simmer for 10 minutes. 4 points each serving if doubled.. Eat with rice figure the points for this..but added to chili makes a filling dinner.
Good luck and if you need any encouraging I will try to be there for ya... I have been doing this since 01/02/03 and don't have it down but am tring hard.
Sheree~
Closed Thread