Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #1  
Resident Cynic

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default How on earth do apple shaped professionals find clothes?

I am starting a new job very soon, and I'm pretty excited about the opportunity. I have worked for these people before, and it was always awesome, but this job will be even better.

The problem? The new office will be business-casual.

Where we worked before was always ultra-casual, and I dress ultra-casual every day, so I own literally nothing that is business-appropriate. It is a matter of convenience rather than preference. I would much prefer to look "nicer," classier, etc. but I have a very hard time finding clothes due to my size/shape. How do you all do it?

I'm a size 16 (misses) / 17 (juniors) in bottoms and L-XL (misses) / XXL (juniors) in tops. At Torrid, I'm a 0/12 or 0/14 since that's the most blatant vanity sizing I've ever seen. I'm very apple-shaped - my waist is exactly the same size as my hips, and expands to larger-than-my-hips when I sit down. I have a large bust and what I would call an "average" rear for my size - not huge, not flat.

Finding comfortable, flattering clothes is an absolute nightmare. I wear t-shirts/hoodies and yoga pants literally every single day because that's all that "works." Pants that fit around my waist are loose and un-flattering around my legs, so that by the end of the day when they've stretched out a bit, they're completely falling off and I need a belt. And any type of pants at all roll down my belly when I sit, unless they're so high-waisted I can hike them up to my bra, and then they cause really unsightly belly rolls. Standard-cut tops that are large enough to accomodate my chest/wide shoulders can look like tents, and most tops aren't cut long enough - I need about 28" long (tunics, basically) to hit my hips. Empire-waisted tops make my chest look awesome but every stranger I meet thinks I'm third-trimester-pregnant if I wear them, so they're completely out of the question.

This stuff was a problem even when I was 150 pounds, though to a far lesser degree. I am thisclose to considering shopping in the maternity section. Pants that are fitted around the legs with an elastic waist sound like a dream, though I do have one tiny, nagging sliver of dignity and shame left in me that has so far prevented me from doing so.

Mostly I wanted to rant, but what I'm getting at is - can anyone relate? If so, how do you shop? And where? Any tips?
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #2  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Business casual is a whole lot different from what it meant years ago, so you could "get away" with going more casual than business (but no sweat pants ). I work in a law firm and we are business casual. While I'm not a lawyer, I am often surprised at what some of the female lawyers are wearing, thinking they look more casual than business, but that is how it is nowadays. So first off, don't worry so much. You'll be okay and good luck with the job.

Now, speaking from one apple to another...you could get pants with elasticized waists, even if they zip and hook at the waist. Even apple shaped, there is some natural waist right? I totally understand the loose in the legs comment, I have the same, but as to the baggy and falling off at the end of the day: that may have more to do with the type of fabric than the style/fit.

As to tops, I'm busty, so I've never been a "business suit" gal as the top never matched the sizing of the bottom, like I was always mismatched. I find for myself that flattering tops are often Vneck and like you mentioned, tunic length. I don't buy anything that is shaped like a boxy square, but rather an elongating rectangle. Fortunately, the current "peasant smock" type of top that seems to be popular is also surprisingly flattering, even tho it has a scoop neckline. I would suggest that you try on styles and shapes that you wouldn't normally choose, just to get an idea of something that might work for you in an office. Also, since you live in Chicago and can take advantage of the weather in dressing: don't discount pairing outfits with a sweater or crochet/knit vest-type accessory. I bet you'd fit in just fine business casual with a skirt and sweater, or pants/sweater or dress/sweater. Accessorizing can go a long way to enhancing one's natural shape and dressing up an outfit.

Might you be comfortable in some skirts or dresses? You can always go solid with a skirt and patterned with a top to break it up, and as to dresses, you could go solid and pair it with a pashmina type wrap, or a lacy poncho type throw-over. Or, again, add a vest, or a vest that falls past your hips to elongate your body.

Also, you could buy some relatively inexpensive scarves to pair with solid colored tops and/or dresses. Scarves elongate the body and add a pop of color and instantly transform an outfit.

I hope some of this is helpful.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Size 16 is hard because it can be too small for plus sizes but some things aren't made big enough to fit. I can find more of an assortment of business casual things at Lord & Taylor than at other stores. I wear NYDJ pants and skirts and they work well for me. I also wear a lot of XL Petite tops, as they tend to fit me better than XL.

So, like on an average day I might wear NYDJ corduroys, a top and a Land's End argyle sweater. Hope that helps.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

How about Chico's? They have beautiful things that look ultra-professional with a creative edge and go together great. Most are super low-care, too. Plus the in-store stylists will put together outfits *for* you, and they have a wide range of mid to larger sizes in all kinds of lovely colors.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I am built EXACTLY like you (and the same size too, although I'm still wearing a plus 1X rather than a misses XL) and am a professional working in a business casual environment. I wear mostly knits, and yes, that includes pants with stretchy waists. There is no other choice if I want something to come close to fitting my butt and legs, but it still needs to get around my waist. If they are new and not faded at all, you can even get away with nicer yoga pants as long as you wear a nice top and good looking shoes.

On top, I wear mostly nice cardigan sweaters with a tank or cami underneath. Because they have a little give, I can get something that will fit around the girls without being huge every where else.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231.5/229.5/160

Height: 5'8"

I wear professional/business casual everyday, and I have the same exact problem. I now wear almost exclusively skirts. Also, find dress pants that have elastic waists (I know, ew) that you can wear a longer shirt over....no one will know!

I feel for ya....I spend hours and hours shopping to only find 1-2 items that fit my waist, and even the best fits are still baggy between the crotch and waist

Don't get me started on finding a quality plus-sized suit....impossible. They need to sell the stupid things as separates.

Last edited by pizzaloveresq; 11-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
pizzaloveresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #7  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Oh gosh business casual can be so different for different places. I work in a Government office. I find a nice pair of really dark jeans with a nice blazer and heels are my bestest friend! My favourite outfit of all time. I also switch it up and get a casual skirt, with heels and dressed down top, sometimes add a little sweater. So when I was in plus sizes I went to Sears, Additionelle, and Reitmans. Not sure if you have those there?
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

My mother is more of an apple shape than I am, although the waist I used to have has gone....

But I help my mom pick out clothes when we go shopping and I've found that the best pants that look good on her (she is apple AND petite) are skinny jeans/pants. She has a flatter butt than more and the skinny aspect of the pants make it so she's not swimming in cloth making her look short and stout.

Add blazers, loose shirts, big sweaters with belts and you have a look that can be business casual.

Skirts and dresses are also your friends, even if it will take some tailoring to make them work.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #9  
Resident Cynic

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Sorry for abandoning my thread for a while there!

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I do normally wear a lot of dresses/skirts for most of the year, and especially if they're stretchy they're a great choice, but I tend to avoid them in the winter since it's absolutely frigid in Chicago and tights/leggings tend to either roll down or make for unsightly bulges under clothes.

I have been shopping for the past couple days, and I must say I've been really pleased to discover how many dressy-ish pants these days have elastic waists. That seems to be a reasonably common thing, and thank goodness for that! I got a few from Kohl's and they're great. The elastic-waist thing doesn't really bother me - nobody sees it.

I don't seem to be having too much trouble with tops, thanks to the plethora of giant, drapey sleeveless blouses and all those thin cardigan-type "sweaters" that I can wear over them. The process isn't as nightmarish as I feared.

crimsons - I checked out the Chico's website. For some reason, I had a very different image in my mind of the type of clothing they sold. I don't know where I got the idea, but I thought their styles were extremely conservative, almost-dowdy, so I never bothered looking there. I was very pleasantly surprised! Either I must have been thinking of a different store, or they've changed their image a lot. I really love the look of the tunic-length button-down shirts and I will be investigating a store in-person soon. Thanks for the tip!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #10  

@Scoot, that's because Chico's used to be a super-dowdy frumporama shop exclusively in huge sizes. Now they have a wide range of sizes and really gorgeous things. Plus if you go by often, they have killer sales. I've been filling in my "in-between" sizes there. I got their easy-care no-iron button-down (it's all over the store in every color) shirt and great olive cotton pants for $15 each. The shirt isn't just a men's button-down, it's three-quarter sleeves and with a slight shirt-tail so you can wear it in or out, or even as a jacket as the fabric has some weight: http://tinyurl.com/4xleobl

I guarantee you'll walk out of Chico's with a whole outfit or two, looking very polished and professional without looking suit-stiff. They have scarves and jewelry to complete the look and the salesladies are VERY attentive. They'll even call you when something comes in they think you'll like.

One other thing you might look for that's a lifesaver is Eileen Fisher black stretch crepe pants. They are very high quality and look like a million bucks, have a wide waistband that doesn't at all look elastic. Here is the tall version:
http://tinyurl.com/3ld36e3
Yes, they are expensive, and yes, it's worth it. They'll be your go-to pants every time and you'll get compliments. On pants!! You can even wear them for fancy evening events.

Last edited by crimsons; 11-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #11  

PS, I have a gorgeous maternity blouse for evening -- gold and black pattern. You might find something great in there. A lot of ladies I know do that!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I was going to suggest comfortable dresses but you mentioned that your legs get too cold in Chicago winters. But I've got a pair of boots that are nice enough to wear with a dress but very warm. If you can find a pair like that, you can wear dresses all winter. Maybe add some sort of girdle with thigh control or biking shorts to keep the top of your legs warm. Good luck!

Last edited by yoyoma; 11-04-2011 at 05:43 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #13  

Why don't you try contacting a clothing style adviser. It will cost you but if you think it's so important then such an advisor will certainly help.
johnnortredamme is offline   Reply With Quote