Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #1  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Angry I HATE being an apple shape!

Today I tried on a pair of jeans in a size 15. And they fit - sort of. They buttoned and zipped and didn't cause any extra muffin top beyond what my pudgy middle already has even without pants on. Sounds like it should be an NSV instead of a vent, right? I mean, size 15 is amazing if I say so myself! lol!

But unfortunately, they looked dreadful - so baggy in the thighs and butt. And part of me wonders if I will ever have a shape that fits into jeans properly. I'm already trying on junior sizes since they are generally narrower plus a low rise fits me around my (relatively) narrow hips even though the same size would never fit around my actual waist.

I keep telling myself that there will be other styles and brands that will be cut better for my body, but I can't afford to pay a lot as I move down clothing sizes. These were only $10 on the clearance rack so I was ready to treat myself even knowing they might only fit for a few weeks. But no dice.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Jeans are next to bathing suits in my opinion LOL You have to try on a dozen in hopes of 1 being right! Keep trying, something will 'click' eventually, there's jeans for every body type ~ the downside might be the more expensive price tag to get the 'right fit' but people send those to consignment stores too!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #3  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Uggh I hear ya.....well, I'm more of a pear shape (big hips). It's taken forever for me to *have* to buy new pants and it's so annoying because they are big everywhere except the hips.
I agree, you have to try on a zillion until you find the perfect fit. Congrats on the size 15 though, that is awesome!!!
mamato2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Great job on the size 15's. I know how you feel about jeans, though. As you lose, I'll bet that your shape changes somewhat as you have more fat to lose in the mid section than on your legs. It will get easier to find things that fit. I know you'll find ones that fit more to your liking soon.

I am a lot older than you so I wear "mom" jeans - hip riding pants just look ridiculous on a chubby old person. I found a long time ago that KMart's "Basic Edition" jeans fit me perfectly. So do Lee Riders. As I've lost weight and pant sizes, they still fit the same way, so that's lucky for me. The Basic Editions go on sale for about $10 - $12 all the time, and Gabriel Brothers has the Lee Riders a lot of the time - you just really have to look there to find your brand and size - always about $10. KMart has them. too, but for about $20. Regular sizes are so much easier to find at thrift shops. I got 3 pairs of really nice jeans at Goodwill a couple weeks ago for about $5 each. I love finding jeans at thrift shops because that's what I wear to work and they make up 90% of my winter wardrobe.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #5  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I'm an apple too and I understand the frustration. Even at my heaviest, when jeans fit around the waist, they were always baggy in the hip and thigh. Plus-size clothing can suck because they assume everyone is proportionately curvy which isn't the case.

Be encouraged, it DOES get better. I'm finally seeing a definite indentation of waist and a slight flare of hips at this point. No one will quite say I'm an hourglass yet, maybe more a busty banana but I'm definitely less apple-icious than before. And I've had a much easier time finding jeans that fit, especially if I go for slim fitting (not necessarily skinny) jeans (i.e. jeans that claim to be fitted through the thigh). I also seem to have better luck with non-stretch jeans although there are exceptions. AND jeans marketed towards curvy women.

At 210, I was in a size 14 (I don't know what that is in juniors) and I had really good luck at JC Penney with Lee's Slender Secret Bootcut jeans (I got the one with the flap pocket since I don't have much of a butt). Anyway, whilst I'm typically not a fan of stretch jeans because I think they lose their shape and look weird easily, these are meant to suck in the pudge, so they're really close fitting and don't lose their shape as much or go saggy-baggy in the thigh even after wearing them a couple of days. I got them a size down at the time since they were SOOOO stretchy and though they were a little muffin top-inducing, it means I can still wear them now without them looking too ridiculous or too baggy in the thigh (and I'm now in an 8/10 in jeans depending on the brand, so that's pretty good wear time).
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I have a similar experience as a pear - if I get jeans to fit through the hips/thighs, they always gap at the waist.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #7  
My goal = health

I have the same experience as well.
I only wear skirts now. Bur even shirts that I buy to fit me in the chest and belly have an enormously wide bottom/hip area.
That's genetics for us, nothing we can do about it.
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #8  

Height: 5'9

I feel you..it seems that according to the fashion industry, my belly is 1-2 sizes larger than my butt/hips/thighs.

The only pants I've ever found to fit perfectly are the Merino classic fit khakis (from Target), and that's probably because they're meant to be wider legged all the way through.

When it comes to jeans, though...have to be taken to the alterations place every time.
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #9  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I know the feeling. I never really had that indented waist--even when I weighed 106~! As I'm losing weight now, I see it from shoulder to shoulder and in my bust, and in my thighs and butt. Just 9.8 pounds down I am of course still wearing the same clothes. It doesn't hurt that I basically wear elastic waist pull on slacks for work, etc., and I don't even own a traditional zip up pair of jeans. I have pants made of denim, but again, elastic waist pull ups. The last jeans I had, I was 150 lbs, and they were big in the butt/thighs, and tight in the waist. That was 20 years ago! Not sure it'd ever be a good idea, for me and my lack of style sense....lol...to ever go back to a traditional pair of jeans while I'm shaped the way I'm shaped. Then again, those jeans made with stretch to them might be a completely different story if I'm ever in a shoppy mood when I lose about 20 more pounds!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #10  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on fitting into the 15s even if you were unhappy with that particular pair. Shopping for jeans is frustrating for pretty much everyone, even the little skinny girls. I does get easier though. I was very apply at my high weight and remained that way for quite some time. However, recently I have become more of a boy shape (though my DH notice a tiny bit of hourglassing going on and I hit him for it because I'd rather be boy shaped). If you want to work on changing your shape I suggest lifting weights if you aren't already. I do a lot of squats and lunges in my weight lifting class. It has built up the muscle in my butt, hips, and thighs while my weight loss has been thinning my waist and the combination has taken me away from the apple shape.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAtATime View Post
I feel you..it seems that according to the fashion industry, my belly is 1-2 sizes larger than my butt/hips/thighs.

The only pants I've ever found to fit perfectly are the Merino classic fit khakis (from Target), and that's probably because they're meant to be wider legged all the way through.

When it comes to jeans, though...have to be taken to the alterations place every time.
There are trouser cut jeans that fit the same. I LOVE them. In a dark wash they look very put together and in a lighter wash, they work fine for casual jeans.

I also found a weird pair of jeans that are half way between a jeggin and yoga pants. You could NEVER tuck a shirt into them because they'd look TERRIBLE but because of the slim fit, they don't bag and sag in the butt or the thighs. I get SO many compliments on them and I know people would just DIE if they knew they were complimenting me on Just My Size elastic waist old lady jeans from Walmart. Yup. You heard it here. I need to kiss the person who told me about them and insisted I try them on. I never never would've found them on my own.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on the 15's!

I have to say, though, that as you lose, it will go away. I was a banana shape at your weight (and you're just an inch taller than me) but the last 30 odd pounds have turned me into an hourglass. Granted, that's brought along it's own fitting problems, one cannot escape those!

Have you tried Levi's? If the price is to much, go to a store, try them on and then check them out online (and at costco too!). They have different curve styles so maybe the "slight curve" would be your best bet. Check their website because often they have some great sales on last season's clothes. I recently found a pair for under $30 and I know I'll wear them for awhile after even after they're too big because I just love them a lot.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

What about using the Lee jeans fit finder? Go to Lee's site. They have lots of different fits.

Or the one for Levi's. http://us.levi.com/quiz/index.jsp

Last edited by Ursula745; 09-25-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Aw, I think jeans are always iffy if anything my "thin" friends have more complaints than me. I know even my friends who have always been around a size 8 have a hard time pant shopping never finding something that "fits right" . So I think its a jeans problem not a you problem. Frustrating though, I understand.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #15  
ms.lisa

S/C/G: 256/158/140

Height: 5'1"

just a matter of perspective, i am glad to be an apple right now as of three or four months ago i was a pumpkin. LOL
matolmama is offline   Reply With Quote