Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Discouraged and Starting Over

Hi guys-
I made it 3 days on my "diet" of high protein meals and one carby treat per day and then binged. I think I got off track because I weighed myself this morning and was disappointed with the number (after a whole three days! Imagine!) then I tried on clothes and they looked just horrible on my body.
So tomorrow I will get back on the wagon and skip the one carby treat per day. I just can't seem to handle carbs. I crave them too much.

Onward!
Thanks for reading,
-Ann
Anemonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:23 AM   #2  
My goal = health

HI! Just wanted to say "You can do this!"
I truly believe that I'm addicted to carbs. Mind you, I don't like sugar per se - I drink coffee and tea without sugar at all, but baked good are my "Achilles' heel"
So I try not to have any at all.
Plan your meals. I go to sleep knowing exactly what I'm eating for breakfast. I grab cheese or deli meat for a snack, cottage cheese, yogurt are all great.
Of course, having 4 little kids I always have treats lying around, but do your best to ignore them. They are off-limits completely.
I can't have one cookie, so I don't have any at all.
Good Luck! And keep reading the boards - they save me from serious cravings daily!
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Height: 5'3"

I was shocked when I wrote down my binging history and eating habits; I always thought that it was sugar that was my problem (don't get me wrong, I do love sweet stuff and if I had it in my house I'd eat it). When I took an honest look at my history, though, I discovered that for me the massive binge trigger (more than anger, even, which is my primary binging emotion) is salt + fat + crunch. I can have a single-piece caramel (I cannot buy a whole bag though, due to my volume eating issue) and not get derailed. I can have a cup of ice cream, have more in the freezer, and not be troubled by it. But if I have a single serving of doritos, I will subject myself to over a week of cravings and craziness.

So. I'm sure emotion had something to do with your binge too--but have you taken a look at the specific carbs that make you go nuts? Sometimes it's suprising. Once you know your specific triggers, you'll be able to make better treat decisions, or at least have a fall back plan if you're in a situation where you're going to have to eat some carbs.
tigerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #4  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Hang in there and keep trying!

You will figure out what works.

Carbs tend to trigger binges with me too, but also overly restricting can cause me to binge. So I try to ensure I have at least 50-70g of GOOD carbs from veggies and fruits (spread thru the day).
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi guys-
All very helpful thoughts! I appreciate your help! My binge foods tend to be things that taste sweet, even fruit. Secondary would be salty, crispy foods. If I have something sweet in the house (not things like hard candy- more like ice cream, whipped cream, frozen yogurt, fruit, chocolate), I'll blow through all of it until there is nothing left or I feel extremely sick. I understand that restricting can backfire, so I have to be sure I eat enough non threatening food (protein, veggies) to be satisfied.
I'm dealing with binge eating disorder/compulsive overeating and needing to lose weight. I need to lose about 50 lbs. I think, though, that being relieved of the food obsession is my number one goal. Weight loss should naturally follow.
Thanks again for your help! I'll keep you posted.
-Ann
Anemonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote