Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Default Lo Carb WW?

Is anyone else trying this approach? I have lived a mostly low carb lifestyle the past couple of years, off and on and I truly believe that the less processed carbs and sugar in a diet, the better. However, I am at a standstill weight wise and have found that there are two things that are getting in the way of my weight loss on no carb itself. First, portion control. I need to learn how to control my portions. Secondly, with adding exercise to my routine I am finding out that I am getting light headed and achy afterward with no carbs at all. SO....I have signed up for WW online and have been following it the last few days (first weigh in is tomorrow). Love the fact that I have an app on my phone that works with it, and so far its pretty easy to follow.
Just wondering if anyone else follows WW and Low Carb type rules and if so, give me meal/snack ideas. Thanks!
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Jennyplain and I *think* Patchymomma are doing low carb combined with WW! I hope they can be of support.

I think you'll find WW will help with portion control and I hope it helps with getting you more active too!

I envy those of you that can do low carb. I feel like it's too complicated for me!
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #3  
Hap
next stop: fit & fabulous

S/C/G: 181.8/174.4/142

Height: 5'4"

I sort of do low carb with WW as I am recently gluten-free and so I can't eat my favorite carbs anymore. So I don't really know the carb count of my food items but I know they aren't simple, refined carbs.

Snack ideas:
celery with natural peanut butter (5 pts) or celery with guacamole (3 pts)
apples with peanut butter (apples might be out depending how low carb you go) (5pts)
Turkey jerky (I like trader joe's brand - 2 pts)
A small salad with whatever fixins you like. I use a little fruit flavored balsamic vinegar (0pts!) or mix up one part olive oil, one part dijon mustard, one part balsamic vinegar as dressing (2pts for 2tsp of olive oil)
Cucumbers with hummus (3pts for 1/4 cup!)
Jicama cut up like fries with your fav dip (guac, ranch, hummus)
Hap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

Yes, I am doing a low carb version of WW. I am doing sort of a hybrid Atkins/South Beach.

The first 2 weeks I did a modified induction/stage 1. What I could eat was basically Atkins induction plus nuts. I also set my goal at no more than 40 net carbs a day. After two weeks I moved up to 60 net carbs a day and added in one serving of whole grains a day. After a week of that I stayed at the 60 net carbs but added berries.

Then I went on vacation where it was hard to stay low carb, got back this week and have gone back to my modified induction for a week (just to drop the water weight from vacation).

Anyway -- things I ate during the beginning.

Lots of chicken breasts -- I would often eat a salad (no croutons, no carrots, dressing that didn't have more than 2 carbs in it) with grilled chicken in it.

Also I would eat a grilled chicken breast with Laughing Cow cheese on it with grilled vegetables.

Fish -- For frozen fish I would often eat Gorton's fish fillets. For veggies either a green salad or grilled veggies (grill them on George Foreman grill with an olive oil marinade).

Snacks -- Nuts were my staple during that period (one reason I allowed in the first phases). I also would eat one Atkins bar a day. Some people can't tolerate sugar alcohols or the bars induce cravings for carbs. For me, I had no problems with them so felt comfortable having up to 1 a day.

Dining out was really easy on low carb. I would just order chicken or fish (I don't eat beef) and then a green salad or veggies with it.

Cheese sticks for snacks.

Breakfast - an omelet or scrambled eggs most often.

Once I added in whole grains I would make a sandwich with a whole wheat sandwich round. Occasionally I have the Lean Cuisine dinners that use whole grains (spa cuisine, I think).

Low carb and WW go together fine. There are no GHG for WW that can't work with low carb. Because low carb by definition is higher fat eating you will be eating more points for the same calories than you would if you weren't eating lower carb. That is, I wasn't eating more calories than before (I count calories also) but I was eating more points. I was still well within my weekly points so that didn't bother me.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote