UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #1  

Default Hi! Newbie who wants to slim down!

Hey, Y'all.
As you could probably tell, I'm a bit of a n00b here.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Natalie, and I am fourteen years old.
I've had weight issues ALL my life. Ever since I can remember, I've had to wear bigger clothes than anyone else, I've never seen my ribcage (apparently a good thing :S), and I've always had a massive, squidgy fold of fat sitting right on my tummy.
I'm quite tall (173cm) and I've got a large frame (a.k.a. 'big boned'). I've been told I'm top heavy, but with an 'athletic figure'.
So, my clothing ranges from a size 12 (if I'm lucky) to a rather big (bearing in mind I am fourteen) 18. I weigh about eighty kilograms, and my BMI says that I am about 26 (overweight). I have also a compulsive eating disorder. I love food. I can't live without eating, nevertheless, stuffing my face makes me feel horrible about myself. I am extremely self concious. I can't go out of the house without layering on with the make-up.
Here's the thing. I am in constant battle with myself, my body, my family and my friends. My parents constantly bombard me with negative comments about my weight and my physique, whilst my friends tell me that I look fine. Personally, I am not pleased with the way I look. I am known within my circle of friends as the 'dieter'. I 'starve' myself... A LOT, and every time I find a diet online which looks do-able, I jump to it.
I've lost a LOT of weight since January when I decided to take up jogging as a sport, however, recently I've completely lacked motivation, and I seem to have gone back to my compulsive eating.
This is where you guys come in, I need help. Serious help. Do you people have any idea what I should do regarding my weight-loss? Should I go and see a doctor? I've had enough of this yo-yo of putting on weight and them quickly rushing to take it off, and I can feel it in my bones that if I don't do it soon, I'm going to be stuck in this situation for the rest of my life.
Thanks,
-Nat.
P.S. Apparently I bear likeness to the singer Adele :O

Last edited by Sockseevil; 07-25-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Sockseevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #2  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

Hey Sockseevil - welcome to 3FC

It's really good that at 14, you've had enough of of the yo-yo and fad dieting! A lot of us don't learn that til way later. Jogging is a much healthier alternative to a crash diet and will help build up your fitness while losing some weight. Try reminding yourself how much it has helped your weight loss since January and just get out there and run! You might be interested in the C25K program (you can google it) which can make running seem a bit simpler. Also, based purely on your BMI (not a particularly accurate measure of health but one we use often anyway), you're not far at all from the healthy range. Talking to a doctor would be a good way to determine what a healthy goal beyond that is.

Between the ages of around 12 and 16, my body went through a TON of change. I went from being a lump rectangle to more feminine and hourglass shaped. My body went through a ton of transitions, so don't forget that there's likely stuff going on in your own body that will cause changes. I know you feel like it's now or never, which is a great attitude, but know that even if you don't get it exactly right straight away (and many of us experience setbacks), that you will still be able to try again and succeed.

Maybe one of your friends would be keen on running with you - could help you stay motivated! Good luck. Feel free to chat anytime you need some support. Plus, Adele is a great person to look like, she's beautiful! Be glad of that
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/187/163

Height: 5ft 7in

Hi Natalie...

I was a heavy teenager too... at 15 I went to my doctor and asked for diet pills and instead he referred me to a dietician. I found this really lonely and patronising as I didn't have the right sort of parental support.
After this, my grandparents joined Weight Watchers with me (I needed a letter from my doctor as you have to be 16 to join... or you did at the time).

I lost a load of weight but being a teenager was too hard and the weight won and I put on twice as much as I lost originally!

If you're really serious about it, I would speak to a doctor, ask to be referred to a dietician, and make sure your parents are behind you.

As Ahyessophie says, the running is the good thing. You're already doing something about it, and know that the fads & yo-yos don't work. It's a case of educating yourself now.

I was (and still am!!!) a compulsive eater, and it can be quite dangerous, but acknowledging it is a really huge thing. You seem like you've got your brain screwed on so I reckon you'll be on to a winner if you stick to it.

If you want any specific help and questions and stuff, feel free to PM me.

BetterLikeMel is offline   Reply With Quote