Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default WW Pedometer question -- does anyone else do this?

I love my WW pedometer. Of course, I always wear it when I go out for my daily walk, and I have it set to "active" so that I can start earning APs right away.

Yesterday, though, I tried something different. After I came home from my walk, I had earned 4 APs. But then I left my pedometer on for the rest of the day, and ended up earning another 2 APs during the rest of the day.

Is it "cheating" to do this, I wonder? I know, it's probably a silly question. But does anyone else do that -- wear their pedometer for the rest of the day *after* they've done their major daily workout?
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #2  

Exercise needs to be something that is not your normal daily activity. It has to raise your heart rate for an extended time. Walking around in daily activities doesn't do this. WW has said for years people overestimate their daily activity points and what you said is an example of this.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #3  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Exercise needs to be something that is not your normal daily activity. It has to raise your heart rate for an extended time. Walking around in daily activities doesn't do this. WW has said for years people overestimate their daily activity points and what you said is an example of this.
That's pretty much what I figured. And yesterday I did feel like I had cheated by leaving it on all day. So I'm not going to count the ones I earned after I came back from my walk (I walk an hour a day at 4 MPH, so I definitely count that.) Thanks for confirming it for me, though!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

There are two modes for the pedometer.

On active you use it only when you are doing "extra" activity such as when you go for a specific walk or go on a treadmill, etc.

The other mode is where you wear it the entire day. That will include both the "extra" activity and your daily activity that isn't specific exercise. However for this you have to take a certain number of steps before you earn any activity points. That is, the first X steps you take earn you nothing as that represents the base number of steps you should take each day before getting activity points. Once you hit that base then other steps do count for activity.

So having it on all day and set to that mode (not active mode) is fine. But setting it on active all day is not fine.

I bought the pedometer since we will be going on a major sightseeing vacation in a few weeks and we will be doing a lot of walking so I wanted a way to measure activity.

If you keep the pedometer in the always on mode, you need to pause it while you are in a vehicle as it might register steps otherwise. Personally I've found that the pause doesn't "stick" and that eventually it starts counting again. However, it hasn't been enough steps to make a material difference.

Last edited by Koshka; 07-17-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote