Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm turning into a runner?! This sound familiar?

So ever since I was young, I've hated running. It's boring, it's uncomfortable, it takes too long, it sucks. I used to be a hardcore martial artist, and even then I hated to run. The fastest mile I ever ran was 9:30, and that was when I was at peak fitness in high school due to the martial arts...I've only ever ran 'the mile' 5 times, and that was in middle/high school. That's the longest I've run at a single stretch, one mile. I avoided running like the plague ever since.

Fast forward 7 years. I started 30 Day Shred mid-June, and I have feet/back problems (scoliosis/fallen arches). I noticed that the cardio segments--jump-rope, jumping jacks, oblique twists, etc--were killing my ankles. I realized if I pushed myself to do 30DS every day like I wanted to, I was running the risk of overuse injury...but if I jogged during the cardio segments, my ankles were fine.

So I jogged. Every day, every cardio segment.

I tried going back to doing jump-ropes and oblique twists...they hurt. So I jogged. In the downtime between other techniques, I felt compelled to jog in place, jog in circles. Instead of doing abs, I wanted to jog (I didn't though, still need to do those planks as much as I hate 'em).

Pretty soon I was jogging straight through each 2-minute cardio segment with no breaks. Those 2-minute segments turned into 3-minute segments, just for the heck of it. Extra cardio can't hurt, right?

30DS was becoming too easy, I still had energy after doing it, so I decided to try doing a kickboxing cardio routine for 20 minutes after 30DS. First day, foot cramps...like WHOA...not 5 minutes into the kickboxing. I stretched my feet out, and thought 'I really want more cardio today, I'm not tired...what if I run?'

So I ran, for 5...10...15 minutes, stopping to walk for 5 seconds every 2 minutes. It felt great...screw the kickboxing. I just want to run. When I'm sitting at work, I just want to run. Walking through the grocery store...want to run.

What the heck is happening to me? Is this the process of turning into 'a runner?' Did anyone else get this feeling when they started to run?
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6

Yeah, I did. *raises hand* I ran for the first time a month ago in three decades. Yes, I did say three decades, lol. I've always been fascinated with it but was too afraid to try it. I finally got off my *** and just did it. I was winded and huffing and puffing and not to mention incredibly sore the first few times but I kept at it. I'm up to 2.5 miles/4 times a week for 30 minutes and I feel great. The inches are just melting off me, seriously. The other day, my neighbor said SHE was thinking of taking up running because she saw ME running. How cool is that?!? I guess before you know it, you are a runner, lol. Good Luck!!
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Me too, though it's really hard right now because I am still SO big. I'm roughly 244-250 pounds depending on the day/week so it's really hard. I was NEVER a runner before. In order for me to run there had to be something with REALLY sharp teeth running behind me. That was my theory. However, now I want to run all the time. I don't even know if I can be considered a runner as I can only currently run 2-3 minutes, walk 3-4 minutes in intervals for 35 minutes.
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iianae View Post
Me too, though it's really hard right now because I am still SO big. I'm roughly 244-250 pounds depending on the day/week so it's really hard. I was NEVER a runner before. In order for me to run there had to be something with REALLY sharp teeth running behind me. That was my theory. However, now I want to run all the time. I don't even know if I can be considered a runner as I can only currently run 2-3 minutes, walk 3-4 minutes in intervals for 35 minutes.

I'd say you're a runner. That's how you have to start - slow so you can build up your endurance and not hurt yourself. Whether you know it or not, you're almost doing like a mini HIIT cardio session with the alternating run/walk intervals. That will definitely build up your cardiovascular system for sure as well as burn tons of calories. Give yourself a few more weeks and you'll be running most of the time and not walking much. I do find I get antsy if I can't run for some reason, lol. I want to run 24/7...if I could.

Last edited by fitmom; 07-08-2011 at 11:32 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iianae View Post
I don't even know if I can be considered a runner as I can only currently run 2-3 minutes, walk 3-4 minutes in intervals for 35 minutes.
you definitely can! a lot of studies have shown that calorie burn is MUCH higher(especially the afterburn) for people who run intervals.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

It gets addictive, doesn't it?
josey is offline   Reply With Quote