Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #1  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Exclamation It's official...I'm no longer a calorie counter...

BUT...

Thanks to calorie counting I've finally -
...learned how to eat in moderation.
...learned to listened to my body's hunger/boredom signals and differentiate
...learned to stop eating when full
...learned to recognize appropriate portion sizes
...learned that NO FOOD is off limit and that ANY FOOD in moderation is ok!
...find no problem maintaining my weight at age 44
...and FINALLY no longer need to count calories anymore...I've graduated!

The pics below were taken today. I'm actually wearing a junior size 5 aeropostle capri pants. SIZE %!!! Woot!

I haven't counted calories in about 2 months and have had days where I ate things like bbq ribs, potato salad, pasta salad (last night), etc. I also enjoy daily such treats as pumpkin pie, homemade biscotti's, oatmeal raisin cookies, toll house chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, fruit pops, etc.

Things I DON'T DO: I don't eat cheap waste of time and tastebuds type foods like hot dogs, burgers, buns, any kind of pastry you'd find at a 7-eleven. I rarely eat out with the exception of an extremely rare dinner/lunch at some exotic fine dining establishment. I'm cheap...so as you can imagine...that's EXTREMELY rare. Cooking all my foods (including desserts) has helped immensely at losing fat and controlling my diet. I have ALL the control over the ingredients I use and will frequently experiment with healthier substitutes that don't compromise taste. This is NOT something you can find at Applebees!

Lastly...but definitely not leastly, I've added a quality multi-vitamin (Controlled Labs Orange Triad), NOW super enzymes and Walmart brand Cinnamon w/Chromium to my diet with EXCELLENT results. This is enhanced my "regularity" and food digestion, while the cinnamon has helped curb sugar spikes and cravings. They are all quite cheap vitamins/supps, but very effective IMHO. Worth a try by anyone who is actively trying to lose/maintain weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0669.jpg (34.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0663.jpg (34.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0660.jpg (30.6 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-07-2011 at 11:45 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/174.6/125

Height: 5'2"

OMG!!!! You say your 44??? You totally look like a teenager!!!! And what a sexy awesome stomach you have!!!! Geeze!!! And you know what? I believe the same thing...eating what we want is okay....but in moderation! I do not believe in not eating potatoes, or carrots, etc. I believe the good of these foods really out way the "bad" . Actually, there really is no bad in potatoes or carrots. My humble opinon.

I'm 43 and tryinig to get my body back. Long struggle. What kind of work outs did/do you do? How many minutes each day? 30? 60? I work out at home, I prefer to. I love videos/dvd's. Old school like Denise Austin, Gilad Jankovits (however his name is spelled) and good ol' Richard Simmons!

AWESOME JOB!! Love the pics....and congratulations.....great job!!!!!!
Michinmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #3  

OH yea, and to wear aeropostle is quite the feat!!! They run small anyway...so to be able to wear a junior size 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! That's really cool.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Quote:
What kind of work outs did/do you do? How many minutes each day? 30? 60? I work out at home, I prefer to.
Thanks Michinmn! I started in Sept '10 only being fit enough to walk my dog (seriously)! Then graduated to running at my park trail for 30 secs/walk 2 mins and repeat for 20 mins. Eventually I graduated to running 5 miles/4 days a week until I reached goal. Since goal has been reached, I've had to lower my running to 1 day/5 miles per week to avoid losing any more weight. It takes me 65 mins to run 5.4 miles (approx. 12 min mile). I have no desire to run faster as I am too old for the olympics!

I really wish I can understand why so many people say that maintenance is harder than losing. I can't even see the SCIENCE in that theory. Maintenance has been sooooooooooo easy for me. Muscle burns more than fat. Running has caused my body to develop more muscle. This being because I kept my calories high during my weight loss (1500-1800 with once per week going around 2200-2500 cals). Muscles need calories to grow. That's another reason I never understood the 1200 calorie theory???

That said...as I have MORE MUSCLE, I can EAT MORE and EXERCISE LESS to maintain. How can that be harder than losing? Who knows? Whatever. My advice...learn your own body and take what you read here with a grain of salt. There is absolutely no need to torture yourself (by starvation) during this weight loss journey. This is a journey not just of fat loss....but of self discovery. It can be FUN! It can truly be JOYFUL!

Make the best of it and much success to you!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-07-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #5  
I am in control.

Joy ~ It's so nice to see a post from you! I miss your blog and I used to love reading it. You are so positive and such an inspiration. I'm glad maintenance is treating you so well! And your abs KILL me!! Love 'em!

Last edited by Emme; 07-07-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #6  

Thanks for the encouraging words Jollyfulloser!!! And for the work out tips.

I agree the starvation diets are not the ones to follow. With that said, I was contemplating joining the Medifast Diet...but haven't. I decided to just watch what I eat, you know, like you did....count calories....and eat what I want in moderation.

I even had apple pie with cool whip last night, and had spaghetti and meatballs, and broccoli, and I still lost .4 pounds from yesterday! I weighed 181.4 yesterday, and this morning I weighed 181.

Again, thank you! I will keep you in mind, especially on the days I don’t feel like working out, I’m just going to remember your success, and push through those days.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Emmmmmmmmmmme!!! Thanks. I'm hanging around here waiting for you to come along to maintenance...your sooooo close...I CAN'T WAIT! I'd love some company so get r done!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Joyful - what does the cinnamon w/ chromium do?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Joyful - what does the cinnamon w/ chromium do?
It stabilizes blood sugar and is also a natural blood thinner. I actually started using it because my mother (who is type II diabetic) used it for a few months and her doctor actually reduced her insulin substantially!

I read up on it and found that many people claimed it helped to kill cravings for sweets (my kryptonite).

What I've found is that while I still love sweets, I don't have to eat the entire dozen...I can just have a few. I also found that I get a nice little boost of energy after taking it. And lastly...I find that I don't feel as "snacky" between meals. For only $6/bottle...I'd say it's worth a try.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #10  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

WOW you look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish at 44 i'd look half as good as you do !! You honestly look younger than I am! Good for you!! Flaunt your sexy body girl, you worked hard for it !

Your abs are just out of this world!!
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

*faints* Your stomach looks FANTASTIC! Heck, all of you looks fantastic and fit!

You've just found you could run for the majority of your exercise? No weight training? (Just being curious!)

I'm glad you're finding maintenance to be fun and easy =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/233/173

Height: 5'4"

wow wow WOW!! You look amazing and your abs are insane. I'll turn 42 in July and if I could look 1/2 as good as you do at 44 I would be THRILLED
osaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Lovely - Yes, all I did was run....well, for the most part. AND not really fast...I worked up to a little over a 12 minute mile. Not tryin' to be Flo Jo...just trying to be in the race! I also did random pull-ups (under door pullup bar), and now that's its warm I swim 3-4 days week (at home).

Ok gals...you've given me enough courage, so finally...here's a bikini shot I just took before my afternoon swim...stretchmarks and all!

*P.S. - when I finished swimming...I had 2 oatmeal raisin and 1 chocolate chip cookie...talk about eating your calories back...YUM! Burn the fat...FEED the muscle!

Thanks again for all your encouragement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0676.jpg (32.1 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-07-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW160/CW156/GW130

Height: HT:5'4"

What an inspiration you are!
I'm 44 as well and have been finding that it's so hard to lose weight with age. I've really ramped up my exercise, alternating HIIT with strength training five days a week. I'm hoping to get abs and arms like yours!!!
Congratulations! You look beautiful & amazing!
RenayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #15  

Again,...... O M G !!!!!

You have a pool at home? Lucky! That's one of my dreams, to have a pool in my backyard!