Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Situation update...

So in an effort to stop the "creep" I'd been experiencing, I took a workout break of sorts last week. Instead of 5 days a week of working out with weekends off, I worked out Monday, Wednesday and Friday, took Tuesday and Thursday totally off. I ate my normal calories, or a bit over since we were also on vacation. Did some activity in walking around, but nothing strenuous.

Got on the scale this morning for the first time since last Thursday, expecting the worst. It said 140.8. I haven't seen 140 since December.

So slacking off a bit didn't kill me. I'm going to probably try it one more week when I'm in a normal situation, and NOT on vacation, and see how it goes, then assess things from there.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Oooh. Interesting finding, Mindi! Thanks for letting us know.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Uhhhh... THAT'S GREAT NEWS! I do it all the time...this is soooo awesome...who knew...less IS more!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

So glad you got great results and enjoyed some time off!
Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

That's killer news Mindi. I bet you were jumping for joy! Yay-Rah!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #6  

I'm pretty happy indeed! One thing I don't like, though, is how FAST I got used to not working out every day. That lets me know that I could slip back into my old, totally sedentary ways pretty fast.

On the bright side, though....if it works out and I can stick with just three days a week, at least I have something to turn to if I start to gain. i can just ramp it back up to five times a week.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I like your awareness of you. That is key to any success- long or short term. Glad to hear of positive news.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Excellent! I'm impressed with how in tune you are with your body and your willingness to make the appropriate changes when needed. Go Mindy!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #9  

No longer positive news...back up 5 pounds today. Ready to toss the scale and start just listening to my body, I think.

Doesn't help that my husband, while on vacation, counted zero calories, didn't work out with me on the day I went, drank a boat load of beer and ate whatever he wanted....and LOST two pounds.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #10  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
No longer positive news...back up 5 pounds today.
Ready to toss the scale and start just listening to my body, I think.
Based on my personal experience,
that sounds like a very bad idea.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
Based on my personal experience,
that sounds like a very bad idea.
I liked the sound of it...the practice, though...not so much. I also know what ignoring the scale did to me once before. I saw it hit 150, then 160, then stopped weighing myself until I was a size 18 and weighed 220.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Mindi do you keep a food/weight journal?

I ask this because I have found out some interesting stuff about myself by keeping one for the last 4 years. From mid June to early July, I also have had a hard time keeping the weight down, regardless of the calories and the excercise. (for several years now) I also write little notes to myself, like if I'm not feeling well, when TOM is around, etc. Anyway, looking back, it hit me. Maybe it's nothing I am doing "diet" wise, but possibly something else.

Every year during this time, I have suffered with runny/itchy eyes, runny/itchy nose, slight chest congestion and slight skin issues. I'm thinking I must have some allergy to something that is blooming during this time. (it could be one or more of a million weeds around here) If my records are correct, I'll have another issue in late August when the Goldenrod is blooming, (Great the Nebraska state flower!). Because of the histamine my body produces, I retain fluids. (and then I just drip all day...lol) Top that with a couple dozen mosquito and jigger bites and I'm a walking balloon.

Anyway, the reason I though of this is because when you were on vacation,you weight went back to normal, and now it's bounced back up. Did you go somewhere away from your environment? Could you be facing water retention pollen allergies at your home location?

Last edited by Lori Bell; 07-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Mindi do you keep a food/weight journal?

I ask this because I have found out some interesting stuff about myself by keeping one for the last 4 years. From mid June to early July, I also have had a hard time keeping the weight down, regardless of the calories and the excercise. (for several years now) I also write little notes to myself, like if I'm not feeling well, when TOM is around, etc. Anyway, looking back, it hit me. Maybe it's nothing I am doing "diet" wise, but possibly something else.

Every year during this time, I have suffered with runny/itchy eyes, runny/itchy nose, slight chest congestion and slight skin issues. I'm thinking I must have some allergy to something that is blooming during this time. (it could be one or more of a million weeds around here) If my records are correct, I'll have another issue in late August when the Goldenrod is blooming, (Great the Nebraska state flower!). Because of the histamine my body produces, I retain fluids. (and then I just drip all day...lol) Top that with a couple dozen mosquito and jigger bites and I'm a walking balloon.

Anyway, the reason I though of this is because when you were on vacation,you weight went back to normal, and now it's bounced back up. Did you go somewhere away from your environment? Could you be facing water retention pollen allergies at your home location?
I've kept a food journal since day one....don't really have a problem with allergies, ever, though.

On vacation we went up into the mountains, and I normally live in Texas, where it's dry, humid and hot (110+ many days right now). But all this started back in the winter.

I really think the factor that has made me go all outta whack is stopping birth control. The next week after my TOM, when I stopped the pill, is when my weight started to go up and up and up. My cycles right now are all crazy and long, and my weight doesn't fluctuate the way it did when I was on the pill and about to start. It just stays a steady UP and never goes back down.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #14  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

The scale is NOT the only measure of success in my personal experience. The way your clothes fit, your reflection in the mirror, and your general feeling of "boy...I look awesome naked" feelings are also great measures! Just sayin!

That said, since I'm more like your hubby in the sense that I don't worry about it, count calories, will generally have what I want within some measure of reason, and lose/maintain, I will say that this method MAY NOT work for everybody. But obsessing over the scale won't help either...it will simply cause further stress on the body and inhibit fat loss.

I'd be lying if I didn't suggest chuckin' the scale for a lil while. Doesn't have to be forever...but it's worth a try? Can't hurt...it's not like your going to wake up tomorrow a size 22! And many have purported much benefit from using other measures to gage progress/maintenance. Me...my size 6 clothing fitting, the pinch test, and my overall joy at the view of my naked body is all I need!

Hope you find what works for you and much happiness.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I second BA and Lori's thoughts. Ditiching the scales- for both you & you food will not help. You are looking for patterns, and even though the scale for both are only two measurements, they are observable, easily recordable data points nonetheless.

Lori is right on about food journals being invaluable for other causes too. They have been instrumental in healing several family members and myself of unsuspecting triggers. Rosascea is one and DS Crohn's is another such healing, no small feat!

I think you are right about the synthetic hormones messing with your body. The only course to my mind is to ride it out, while being very careful with food intake. I am currently doing TMJ physical therapy (finished an anti-inflammatory med and stopped naproxen both weight enhancers). My weight is steady going up inspite of a very low calorie/low carb consumption. In fact, before the therapy (7/1/11) I would have been hovering around 122# eating this way. But as it is I weighed in at 128# this morning. MY solution is not to head to the "isle of denial" but know that over time, when my muscles are healed, I will then be able to assess if my levels for eating. I will post my NSV in a separate thread relating to my therapy. Dr. Eades as tips & tricks in his latest blog. Some might apply to you. I found some tips that were helpful.

Last edited by Karen925; 07-06-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote