General chatter - How did you hurt yourself?

View Full Version : How did you hurt yourself?

fitness4life
06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Am I clumsy? Am I more active so natural law of odds means I'll hurt myself more often?

*Sigh* I did it again. I hurt myself. I thought I would be strong enough to lift my kayak onto the dock while jumping up on it at the same time. Nope. I bashed my thigh into the edge of the dock and now I have a bruise about the size of my entire hand. It's one of those that swelled up and will probably take all summer to go awy.

Last time I hurt myself was when the stability ball slipped and I needed stitches and xray on my elbows. I also walked into my wall in the middle of the night and scraped my head bloody. I've also fallen/tripped and broke my nose taking out the garbage.

What's your latest or greatest story about minor injuries? Except for the stability ball one, mine usually involve me doing something stupid.

mandalinn82
06-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Mine don't tend to be stupidity, they tend to be mechanical failure. But somehow they end up WAY WORSE than for other people.

Example: I had a home elliptical trainer - it broke one day, while I was pedaling backward. One of the foot pedals dropped out from under my foot, the backward momentum caught the other foot and flung me backward 6 feet, into the frame of my closet door. I caught the doorframe right between my spine and my shoulder blade.

Result of this: A 2 years and still going strong injury to my neck and shoulder. I broke the spinous process of one of my vertebrae off entirely, herniated a disk in my neck, and as a result of those two things, have constant pressure/nerve pain in my shoulder as the nerves related to those vertebra gets pressed on by the broken bits.

I have knees that dislocate wicked easily (from what is essentially a birth defect), too. So relatively minor things can result in some serious pain, if I dislocate myself.

MIMI 193
06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Most recent is a pulled hamstring from going for a wee in the early hours... butt unexpectedly hitting the cold loo rim :fr: and jumping up sharpish and off to one side , bloomin stupid injury :o

DH got an earfull for leaving the seat up :nono: :devil:

alaskanlaughter
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
my injuries always tend to be my ankles...i have twisted and sprained my ankles more times than i can remember...when i was in high school, my dad received an important phone call as he was leaving the house...i ran through the woods to catch him...without my glasses on...tripped over a log, sprained my ankle badly...hobbled back to the house (remote homestead where i grew up), no one else was home, put myself back to bed with an elevated ankle

another time i was reflooring my place and was dragging a large roll of flooring outside...stepped down on the lower porch wrong, twisted my foot, sprained my ankle, fell so hard i nearly knocked myself out on the porch railing

i've fallen while ice skating and rollerblading and nearly knocked myself unconscious...i've sliced my finger open with a knife...was running and tripped on a rock and sprained my ankle (again!)....i've fallen with my bike down a gravel embankment...amazingly i have never broken anything or ever had stitches

suetalks
06-27-2011, 09:01 PM
I have had countless broken toes or even just "stubbed" bruised toes. Clumsy!
My worst injury was while washing a glass years ago. For some reason it shattered while I was cleaning inside. Sliced my knuckle and needed stitches. Very uncomfortable injury (but I couldn't do dishes for awhile) :)

mandalinn82
06-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Oh wait, I forgot about all of my (because of stupidity) knife injuries.

I burn myself on a regular basis. In 2007, I sliced my hand badly enough to need stitches not once, but TWICE, in about 3 months. It had to do with how I was holding my knife while washing it (I figured it out and haven't done it, now). I actually had the last set of stitches at my wedding, and had to take off the splint that kept me from ripping them out right before walking down the aisle, leave it in the limo, and put it RIGHT back on...doctor's orders!

fitness4life
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
mandalinn! Oh my gosh about your elliptical accident! I hope you received compensation for the mechanical failure! And I LOL when you said "I burn myself regularly". Funny way to put it!

suetalks, I forgot about all my broken pinky toes! That really REALLY hurts! There were 3 summers in a row that I broke my pinky toes. I dropped furniture on one, I caught it on a heavy chair running in the rain another time, and honestly, I can't remember how I broke it the 1st time. Ugh. It's like my worst fear now. It takes SO long for them to heal.

MY BIL had a freak accident two summers ago. He tripped on his wooden dock and a sharp edge sliced his calf open to the point that my sister said the flesh looked like a chicken patty. Luckily, the wood missed every major blood vessel and he didn't bleed to death waiting for the ambulance!

fatgyrl
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I've slipped on ice fell on my elbow and cracked a rib.

I've slipped on ice fell on my heel and broke mytail bonee (and that hurts for years)

But on my 42nd birthday I rode my bike to get myself a bag of coffee and a Tiramisu (because I was in Canada hubby was working in the USA) when a city truck turned in front of me and my brakes failed. I hit the truck, fell over and cracked my knee cap. At least the nice man gave me and my bike a ride home. I typed the whole story out somewhere.... IF I can find it I will add it to my blog.... it is on a website somewhere so it is a big IF, lol

fitness4life
06-28-2011, 04:01 PM
fatgyrl, ooh! There is one thing worse than broken pinky toes. It's a broken tailbone.

I broke mine snowboarding 4 years ago. Worse part yet, I was about to file for divorce from a very mean man. I didn't want him to know because it would just fuel his mean-fire. I had to do things and pretend it wasn't broken.

Ouch.

redhead14
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Walking out of the bathroom reached back to shut the light off and cracked the tip of my elbow.

Used a knife instead of taking 3 seconds to walk out to the garage to get the correct tool and stuck it thru my finger nail cutting the nail bed and half way around my finger. That is still healing! Stupid me.

Ripped a tendon in my knee, sliding in the ice tracks after closing down the bars. Tough one to explain to the parents since I was underage...oops! They still think it was a ice skating accident even after 18 years.

caryesings
06-28-2011, 05:43 PM
fatgyrl - notice my profile says I lived in Michigan for 42 years but North Carolina now? Falling on ice was a big reason. I'm getting too old to bounce!

Nekomania
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
I hurt myself stupidly trying to convince myself that I could do the advanced side of the Ape Cave yesterday.

My logic "If a 400 pound man can make it through, so can I!"

Not.

Now every muscle in my body hurts, even ones that I didn't even know I had a use for. I can barely walk and my shins are covered in bruises and knots. My hands are raw and red and it took me forever to get out of bed this morning.

I really think I overdid it...? :lol:

But man oh man...I feel like I really acomplished something, even if I did have to turn back around a mile in. (I really didn't have the strength or the willpower to bridge a slanted gap with a 10 foot drop beneath me).

theCandEs
06-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Here's my story: I went back to college at age 34 to get my second bachelors degree. Most of the people there were in their 20's, but after talking to several students, they didn't seem to realize I was much older. So, I deluded myself into thinking they couldn't tell.

Anyway, to prevent people from walking on the grass that surrounds various buildings, they roped them off with metal stakes about 12 to 15 inches off of the ground.

Well, I was carrying some books in my arms, and I wasn't paying attention, and I tripped right over one of the ropes. I went face down on the pavement. My hands and arms had big gashes in them. I still have scars. The worst part? A young man helped me up and said to me, "Are you all right, ma'am?" Ugh! So much for fooling people about my age. So, this middle-aged, fat lady just fell all over the sidewalk in front of a bunch of 20-somethings. Smooth.

my2cats
06-29-2011, 01:06 AM
I decided to go for a running-start "log roll" on a flat field of grass... embarrassingly no alcohol was involved.

Yep, I broke my collar bone while 5 of my friends watched...

I can't really blame this on clumsiness, but I suspect I hit the ground harder than I would have if I wasn't overweight!

Another story: I was trying to ride my bike and carry a large package. I was extremely optimistic ("I've been riding a bike since I was 5! This is cake.") and just kept going faster and faster... till I completely wiped out and hit the pavement on my face and hands. Scraped my face bloody all the way across my chin, cheek, and even put a gouge in the edge of my glasses. My bike was bent and I was a bit stunned / in shock.

I guess the trend I'm seeing is poor judgment combined with the curse of enhanced gravitational pull. >.>

ButterCup85
06-29-2011, 08:38 AM
I have this problem in the morning. I'm always just not very coordinated. I tend to run into corners of things, walls, door knobs etc. I am one of those people that REALLY need a minute to wake up. My latest injury was working on a new house. I was scratching the paint off the window with a new razor. I sliced my finger a little, looked down thought no biggie. I think it was my warning slice. Cause right after that I SLICED my finger. The blade was so sharp I didn't even realize it until I'd gotten Windex into it. And my finger started burning I looked and it was puddled with blood dripping woo. So, I rinsed it off to not only see a huge chunk of my skin dangling but that it had cut through my fingernail as well. I'm almost as bad about getting hurt as I am with directions!

fitness4life
06-29-2011, 09:42 AM
theCandE, scrapes on hands are horrible. I had a triple jog stroller loaded 5 lbs over capacity with my 3 boys. I knew the stroller could tip back and they could hit their heads on the pavement.

We took a corner, slightly uphill, and gravity pulled the stroller down backwards. NOt wanting them to hurt their heads, I hung on while we rolled until the stroller was gently on the ground.

My kids were fine. But my knuckles were trapped under idk like 75 lbs of kids! Since we were rolling, my hands ground into the concrete and skidded for about 2 feet.

Needless to say, the wounds were nearly to the bone. It took over 8 months for them to heal, and had me on vicotin for pain most of the time.

I now love my scars of love. but loooking back, their concussions would have healed much quicker! That was also the end of the triple jog stroller.

ButterCup85
06-29-2011, 09:43 AM
I now love my scars of love. but loooking back, their concussions would have healed much quicker! That was also the end of the triple jog stroller.

Lol!

theCandEs
06-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I have to say, it hurts so much more when you are older. I remember scraping myself up as a kid, but as an adult it just feels so much more awful. I felt like crying. LOL

konfyoozed
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
clumsy me...

shampoo bottle vs foot
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268507_2129156465161_1133441488_2518900_6617574_n. jpg

fitness4life
06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Ow! I didn't think of posting pics. If we really wanna go there, I'll figure out how to post a pic of my leg bruise. It's pretty...like a rainbow from ****!

konfyoozed
06-29-2011, 07:53 PM
if you've got the photo hosted on a website, all you have to do is get the direct link (just the image, not the page it's on... usually ends in .jpg) all you have to do is click the icon at the top of the reply box that looks like a mountain on a yellow background and paste the link.

PBmama
06-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Sadly I usually hurt myself in some stupid way. Getting off the couch and spraining my ankle is about at the top. I think my best story was how I injured my rotator cuff in my right shoulder. It was late & I was getting ready for bed. Reached back to unhook my bra...a nice new one with like 4 or 5 hooks instead of the 3 I am used to. Well some how my hand slipped off and my arm jerked down. POP came a loud sound....and then I think some cursing probably too. My husband rushed to my side to find me crying. Not from the pain but because I never get to hurt myself from doing something COOL! ROTFLMAO So I had to go to work....with a bunch of men...and explain to them HOW I hurt myself so badly! hehe I are a dork! :D

I also am prone to burning myself. Worst/last episode was making my BBQ pulled pork in the CROCK POT of all things! Went to rotate the meat and it was more done then I thought. Slipped off the huge fork and splashed EVERYWHERE! *sigh* Hubby says that I am not allowed to have a pressure cooker or a deep fryer. To think I can go to work and WELD but come home to the kitchen and POOF!

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/27042_407006770916_781375916_4989915_48622_s.jpg

devnet
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I've got a few good ones...

I used to have a desert iguana, and I had a heat lamp attached to the outside of his mesh cage. I tripped over a cord one night in the dark, fell forward into the cage with the side of my elbow against the heat lamp bulb. Because of the way I fell, I couldn't move my elbow right away, it was kinda wedged in there. It was a good 5 seconds before I got my arm free. Mmm, melted skin, anyone?

More recently, though not that recent (about 6 months ago), I fell down the stairs in the dark (I seem to have an isssue with darkness, lol). Severely sprained my big toe, was hopping on one leg for 3 days before I could put pressure on my foot (now there's a way to make one leg Hulk strong in a hurry, lol). Here it is 6 months later, it STILL is not fully healed. Mostly because I keep tripping and falling and stepping wrong (I'm such a klutz).
Now my compensating by walking on the outside of my foot has caused very unpleasant issues with other other bones in my foot. Sigh. Stupid bloody toe.

I have somewhat weak knees. They give out on me randomly quite frequently. I went to run across the street one day about a month ago. Lo and behold, the first couple of steps I took, silly things collapsed on me. I did an awesome action movie style roll almost across the entire double lane, sprang up instantly (as I was about to be hit by a car) and limped back to where I started fast as I could. The thing they don't show in action movies is how many bruises you get from doing that, even when you don't fall from a fast-moving vehicle, lol.

AnnieDrews
07-02-2011, 01:37 AM
I've got a couple of interesting stories....

Once when my boys were little, I was making fudge late at night. I splashed the boiling sugar/cocoa mixture on my left foot and ended up with second and third degree burns. I still have scars and pain in that foot.

When I was about 38-years-old, I yawned one morning and ruptured two disks in my cervical spine. I had to have a two level anterior fusion with bone grafts and was in a cervical collar for three months.

Serbrider
07-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Ummm... I have smashed my finger straightening out a gate to a kennel... I have a large opened blister on my index finger from a hot glue gun... I have a scar on the same hand (on the top) from where I tried to open an ink bottle with a pocketknife... right on top of that I got scratched by a cat... I fell of my bike because I was trying to speed up to catch up with a horse and cart... and broke my arm... I have to very straight very identical two scars from where I was reaching over to turn on a light and burned my arm on a friend's straightening iron... I have a scar on the top of my head from where I fell out of a truck when I was little and hit a rock... I have gotten bitten multiple times...

oh... and I can't seem to go a month without getting some noticable injury. Sometimes it's that I can't even go a week without something bleeding or whatever.

My boss says I'm accident prone and a liability... :p (not really... I'm accident prone, but it's always a small thing, nothing bad... most of it due to my own stupidity)