Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #1  

Default Where do I start???

Hello Ladies!!
I'm new to the site, new to the online support and I don't really know how to utilize this site.
I joined because I've been working out like crazy, eating...farily well (well better than I used to) and I haven't dropped as much weight as I would have liked to by now.
I keep telling myself the usual: it didn't take a month for me to gain the weight, it's not going to come off in a month; It's a lifestyle change, not something that's going to occur overnight; I'm doing well (and feeling well) despite what the scale says....
Even though I KNOW all of these things, I still feel frustrated! I'm hoping this site will help me stick with it and continue to learn and push forward.

Thanks for any input!!
chrys85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrys85 View Post
Hello Ladies!!
I'm new to the site, new to the online support and I don't really know how to utilize this site.
I joined because I've been working out like crazy, eating...farily well (well better than I used to) and I haven't dropped as much weight as I would have liked to by now.
To me, weight loss works when it is 80% diet and 20% exercise. If your diet is lacking, you may not see the results you desire. To just eat "better than you used to" may not be enough... "better than you used to" will get you "better than you used to look" but not to goal... after all, "better than you used to could be 2 big macs instead of 3.

In order to help, why dont you tell us what you eat in a day?
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #3  

I'm extremely busy and an extremely picky eater so I usually eat something out of a box...
Typically Monday through Friday is something like this:

Breakfast:
Jimmy Dean D-lite sandwhich and a piece of fruit
Snack rice cake chips
Lunch- healthy choice frozen meal
Snack- fruit or lowfat crackers and low fat cheese
Dinner- whatever is being cooked (smaller portions)- usally a protein (chicken, steak), grain (rice, corn).

Saturday's I have a cheat day. I don't go overboard but I don't count calories.
Sundays...it really depends. Some days my cheat day carries over and I don't count calories. Sometimes it's a typical day.

I tried to keep my calories below 1800 because I typically burn 800 per workout (5-6 days a week)
Now I'm aiming for 1300 per day but I don't know if that's too low.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #4  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Oooh girl I would definitely cut the processed/frozen food you're eating for breakfast and lunch. I know it saves time, but it's hard on our bodies in the long run. Besides the fact that it's full of sodium, preservatives and a lot of weird artificial things our bodies just don't need. If you're going to eat out of a box, eat regular Cheerios with milk and 1/2 a banana or microwave some oatmeal (or whatever else that involves less heavily processed foods, those are just my go-to convenience breakfasts) for breakfast. Cook some things ahead of time that you can microwave for lunch. I love www.eatingwell.com - very searchable, awesome food, super easy and gives you calorie counts for everything. I would be very careful in tracking calories and would definitely drop it below 1800. 1300 should be OK for you and will help you create that calorie deficit you're looking for! I'd say good luck, but you don't need it .

Last edited by tuende; 06-21-2011 at 08:00 PM.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuende View Post
Oooh girl I would definitely cut the processed/frozen food you're eating for breakfast and lunch. I know it saves time, but it's hard on our bodies in the long run. Besides the fact that it's full of sodium, preservatives and a lot of weird artificial things our bodies just don't need. If you're going to eat out of a box, eat regular Cheerios with milk and 1/2 a banana or microwave some oatmeal (or whatever else that involves less heavily processed foods, those are just my go-to convenience breakfasts) for breakfast. Cook some things ahead of time that you can microwave for lunch. I love www.eatingwell.com - very searchable, awesome food, super easy and gives you calorie counts for everything. I would be very careful in tracking calories and would definitely drop it below 1800. 1300 should be OK for you and will help you create that calorie deficit you're looking for! I'd say good luck, but you don't need it .
I couldnt agree with this more. I was going to suggest cutting out the processed food as well. Keep fruit and veggies on-hand. I know you say you are a picky eater but you need to give new foods a try and train yourself to like them.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #6  

Thanks for the responses! I know a lot about exercise and working out but don't know much about the nutrition part (although I do know how important that is). Usually when I eat something I look at nothing more than calories, fat and how quick the prep time is. Most foods I eat are processed. The only fruits or veggies I buy from the produce department are lettuce, grapes, and tomatoes. Everything else is frozen or canned: corn, green beans, peaches, chicken breasts, egg beaters etc. Is it okay to buy certain items in the "pre packaged" form or should I be doing more shopping for fresh fruits, veggies and meats?
Also, if you couldn't already tell, I'm not much of a cook haha
Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Frozen fruits and veggies can be just as good as fresh, especially if what you're buying is out of season. It's often frozen at its peak so you might even be getting more nutrients.

I don't personally think there's anything wrong with buying pre-packaged. It can be a lot easier to calorie count and keep tabs on portions. There are ways to "pre-package" just about anything though. I've totally done the egg beaters (I will pre-make egg "cups" in a muffin tin and then pop in the microwave when I'm ready to eat), but learned to just buy regular eggs. For chicken breasts, I will buy a big package, which can be cheaper per breast than a smaller package and then just divvy everything up into single ziplock bags and pull from the freezer as needed. I used to waste so much meat because I would have to defrost an entire pack that was stuck together.

It may not be totally economical to buy everything pre-packaged, but it sure is easier! Just be aware of more processed items that might have a lot of preservatives and sodium added to them. No matter which way you go, be conscientious of labels.

Best of luck! It sounds like you're off to a good start
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrys85 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I know a lot about exercise and working out but don't know much about the nutrition part (although I do know how important that is). Usually when I eat something I look at nothing more than calories, fat and how quick the prep time is. Most foods I eat are processed. The only fruits or veggies I buy from the produce department are lettuce, grapes, and tomatoes. Everything else is frozen or canned: corn, green beans, peaches, chicken breasts, egg beaters etc. Is it okay to buy certain items in the "pre packaged" form or should I be doing more shopping for fresh fruits, veggies and meats?
Also, if you couldn't already tell, I'm not much of a cook haha
I would go fresh or frozen. Canned foods can have a lot of added sodium and sugar which can cause your body to hold on to stuff.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #9  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Pre-packaged can be great- I always have frozen fruit/veggies on hand because they don't spoil in the bottom of the fridge like the fresh stuff does . Since it's summer though, it would be a great time to start trying new fresh fruits/veggies. Go to a farmers market and pick up a few things that look good and try them! For other pre-packaged stuff, I would just start checking the ingredients. If there are a lot of other ingredients besides the main food you think you're buying, I would probably pick something different. I mean, there can be a whole lot of other stuff in canned peaches besides juts the peaches. My last piece of advice: have fun experimenting!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #10  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Good luck and welcome This site is soooooo helpful. I went from 224 to 165 with the support I found here. I stopped being vigilant after goal so now I'm back again. I see you are from Houston. I moved here last year and that's when my weight crept back on haha. Too much food!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #11  

I would start counting calories, even on cheat days (or after the cheat day). Try after every meal or snack, or at least a few hours to jot down what you ate. You don't have to record the cals until the end of the day, so it should only take a few seconds. I'd do that for a week and see what you are taking in. Sometimes when I get lax and then I really look at what I ate, its more than what I would like. Plus with too many preservatives, it could add to water weight and no budging on the scale.
Is there anything that you are open to eating that has less preservatives? When I get tired from work, I literally just throw some veggies/protein in a pan and turn on the heat.
Also, in my experience, I burn fewer cals than I think when I exercise, so I work out, but I don't think "I'll have a cheat day today and just work out tomorrow" (not saying that you do, but I've done this in the past...never worked)
The only way my scale budges beyond a couple lbs of water weight is through calorie counting. It allows for more flexibility in what I eat too-most diet plans out there that tell you exactly what to eat do follow a calorie outline and the person will reduce their cals if they follow the plan exactly, but they just don't come right out and say it so they can advertise themselves as "Eat more, weigh less! You'll NEVER go hungry!" stuff like that
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote