Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/161/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Teachers?

I've noticed that quite a few of us are teachers. How many of us are there?

And, it seems that when I fall off the wagon, so to speak, it's after we have our teacher luncheons and teacher activities. Makes you wonder. Any thoughts?
thinknthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #2  
Kaye

S/C/G: 176/See Ticker/140

Hello there fellow teacher I completely agree about Teacher Luncheons! However, the last week of school was really the big turning point. After four days of gathering together to eat, where I met a ton of fried chicken, pasta salads, potato salads and desserts.. I decided enough is enough. I have devoted this entire summer to myself and my health to get back into shape. I am looking forward to going back to work in the fall to see how many of my colleagues will notice a difference.

How do you handle teacher luncheons? I know that I will still want to attend and participate, but don't want to worry about insulting anyone by not eating some of the foods that were brought in due to worry about weight gain.
yoyo no more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #3  

I know that I need to handle the Teacher Luncheons better. I noticed a problem around Christmas. I teach in the deep south where there is an abundance of food and hospitality. I started to go downhill at that luncheon. Then there was all the food that was leftover right across from my classroom! I gained a few pounds there but what was worst was that my mindset was not as focused. I will definately look out for that next Christmas.

I did see a few teachers go for a run during the luncheon. That doesn't seem social but they did get away from the food. These teachers are very fit and they found a solution. Perhaps I could find a walking group. Yes, I could pick at the food and perhaps that will be an option.

We've been out of school since before Memorial Day so I am very focused again and been working out. I hope to lose some weight before I go back on August 1.

I think that if we all put our heads together we can overcome this challenge.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #4  
Kaye

S/C/G: 176/See Ticker/140

Also, I try to avoid eating lunch in the lounge. I usually eat with a few friends in the home ec room. I have noticed that the lounge is home to an endless amounts of sweets and pop. Especially if I have a rough morning, I know that I will not be able to avoid the temptations in the lounge at lunchtime.

This is only my second week out. I coach a spring sport so it seems like I have neglected everything from working out to cleaning the last month and a half of school so it feels nice finally getting things caught up at home. I have been so busy that it is hard to believe that I did all of this and still had time to work haha.
yoyo no more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #5  

I agree about the teacher's lounge. I usually eat at my computer to try to catch up on emails. Plus, I can drink the protein drink while working!

Good luck with the program! Starting it during the summer is a good idea since the water is so easy to get down!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #6  
April 29, 2011

S/C/G: 158/111.0/120

Height: 5'0"

Another teacher, here! I agree the luncheons are a challenge! I am actually lucky that we have a pretty small staff, most of whom are health/weight conscious. So, they seem to understand the choice I've made and don't give me too much grief about it!

My goal is to look like a new person when I return to school August 8! I have a ways to go and hope I get there!
Goneforgood1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #7  
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

Same here! Potlucks are a problem for me... but also, staff trainings. It seems like bagels or donuts are at all morning staff trainings, and cookies or popcorn in the afternoon. Not to mention all the candy they put on our tables.
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

I love teachers.

I admire what you try to accomplish with such limited resources. There have been only four teachers in my three kids' lives who should have reconsidered their vocations, but there are three who positively made my kids live for school each day. The rest I admire for their creativity and skills in challenging students.

I know your job is often stressful and thankless.

Just want you to know I appreciate you.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #9  

Thank you for your kind words. I have been teaching for 20 years and I really do enjoy the kids. I don't enjoy the way education is going these days. I teach kinder and now it's expected that the little ones know all the letters of the alphabet before they start with me. I feel as though we're robbing them of their childhood.
I do make sure that they have a kitchen center to role play and they go out to recess every day. You know the best memories of school aren't doing the worksheets but the projects, crafts, plays, field day etc.
Edie--your trip to NYC sounded great! I can't wait to go there now that my son lives in CT. The plays, the Met, the streets! Aahhhhhhhh!

BYW, I've lost the weight that I've gained and am now once again at goal! Yeah!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #10  

Sorry for the rant!
Happy Friday to all!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

I'm a professional substitute, fully certified "teacher" who can't find a job! Hoping that my continued weight loss will give me the confidence to land an elementary school job soon!!! BTW, I lost 54 lbs. doing Medifast during my last long-term sub assignement ...in 3 months!!! Best wishes and thanx 4 sharing your teaching stories!!!!

Sidanne

sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #12  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Default I'm a teacher

Yes, those luncheons and baby showers and such are a struggle. However, I do better when school is in session, as opposed to breaks and summer. The structure of the daily routine helps me stay on track.
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #13  
Started July 1, 2011

Height: 5'7

Default Teacher from Georgia

Aaahhhhhhh! I have to attend a conference for 3 1/2 days next week. I am NOT looking forward to it because I will be eating out or at the conference luncheons/dinner the entire time. I'm currently on pre-conditioning and go for my food class on Friday and will discuss this upcoming conference with them and see what suggestions they give. I also need to check on the hotel site and see if they have a free breakfast that includes eggs and fruit. Wish me luck!
luvs2read79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Height: 5'3"

Hello teachers! I'm currently in my last year of college, beginning my student teaching YEAR (no longer just a semester here in AZ) in three weeks! Thanks for the heads-up about the teacher luncheons and seminars; I'll be sure to be prepared for these so I don't go off the rails! Any words of wisdom for a future teacher from all you seasoned professionals?

Thanks!
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/178/140

Height: 5'4"

luvs to read-I just finished preconditioning and will attend a wedding tonight. They sold me the fat blocker and said that should help a bit. Make the best choices you can is the other advice I got. Good luck to you.
brandy8188 is offline   Reply With Quote