Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: H~285... 260/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Got room for one more?

I've looked around the site briefly and as a veteran forum user/moderator, I can tell that the sense of community here is alive and well! Thank you in advance for reading!

On one of my other unrelated forums, I attempted to start a weight loss hints/tips thread. It went well for awhile, but I was soon getting "annoyed" by some people coming on and saying they know EXACTLY how I feel, and that 'those 10 pounds just won't come off!' Don't get me wrong, I understand that body image is a difficult thing for many people, regardless of whether it's 10 pounds or 100 pounds, but I knew then that I was going to need some more in-depth support/encouragement from people who had a greater amount to lose and could truly relate to my struggles!

A quick synopsis of me:

I've always been big-boned. Women in my family are *relatively* petite, but they still have hips and thighs. I have the hips, thighs, rear end, chest, arms of an Amazon... or so it seems.

I was never above 130 until I was in an accident as a teenager. I fractured a few vertebrae in my back. Chronic pain made me practically immobile, and I quickly gained about 30 pounds. I stayed at that weight until a couple years later when my doctor decided I would need to have surgery to correct my back problems. Another several months of recovery and physical therapy and PAIN resulted in me putting on another 20 pounds. I was 18 and 180 pounds.

I don't think I have to tell people here the circular thinking/behaviors that occur when confronted with difficult situations. In my case: chronic pain = depression = eating = depression = intensified chronic pain....

At 19, I met my husband; we were married and pregnant within 6 months of knowing each other. With my pregnancy, I gained 60 pounds (up to 240). My chronic back problems and high weight made pregnancy even worse. It hurt to walk. It hurt to sit. It hurt to lie down. And after I had our son, I probably only lost 10 pounds. My depression returned full-swing post-partum, and of course, I continued to eat.

Over the years (my son is almost 8), I have made a lovely home with my family. I decided to go to college full time, and I'm proud to say I just graduated last month with a degree in Dental Hygiene. I am happy with my life, my family and friends, and my accomplishments. I am NOT happy with my weight. I continued to gain after having my son and my all-time high was 275 two years ago. Being in the hygiene program for the last two years, I was able to drop about 15-20 pounds. But that's not that impressive when you are nearly 300 pounds.

My husband is overweight also, and he has HBP. Obesity runs in his family, his father passed from a heart attack at the age of 42 (my husband is 33 now). He started working out and watching what he ate in January. I adamantly refused to participate. I was in my last semester of school, I was stressed, tired, depressed. I wanted nothing to do with any diets or exercise.

Now that I'm officially done with school, I have the entire summer looming before me. I have one more board exam to take in August, then I have to wait 2 months for the State Dental Board to receive my results and license me to practice. So I'm not going to be able to realistically start working until probably November... assuming I find a job right away!

So what to do with my summer?

After caring for everyone else and working my butt off (figuratively!) in school, I finally feel like I am worth enough to do something for myself. Also, as a representative for the healthcare field, I know that I must first be responsible for my own health. I am 27, and I'm not getting any younger! If I'm going to do it, I want to do it now!

I think that's everything I wanted to say for now. I am using the treadmill everyday and I've reduced my intake to 1300-1400 calories a day. A free app on my Android phone has been a godsend for letting me track what I eat, the moment I eat it! I no longer have an excuse to not log my food! Within the next few weeks, I am planning on joining the gym my husband goes to, I'm just not *quite* ready for that yet...

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys over my journey! I've already read some of the success stories and I am so happy for everyone who has been able to meet and exceed their goals!
Beka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/288/150

Height: 5'4

Welcome! Today's my first day as well. I know what you mean when people say they understand and just need to lose that "last ten pounds" ... with me, I have a friend who complains a lot about needing to lose her Christmas five pounds. She's thinner than I've ever been, and I often wonder why she complains to ME about it. But I agree with you, everyone has the right to want to look and feel their best!

We seem to be in a very similar weight/goal situation! Perhaps we can do this together, yes? <3 Good luck!
Michigan Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187.5/187.5/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Beka! You have had quite a series of events. I'm new to this forum too, maybe we help motivate each other! I was also at one time 240lbs (minus the accident and children, I did the weight gain all by myself!!), I then lost a ton of weight and was down to 160. Last summer I lost my job due to cut backs and this led to me embrace my new found freedom which included going to the city, eating greasy food, drin king and not working out! ( I was also looking for a job everyday, which made me depressed, and the viscous cycle began as you said above! depression, food, weight, depression, more food, etc.) So now I"m at 187 and I'm determined to dump my 27lbs! The real bummer of some of this is that my body is really use to working out, I've never stopped running, and then I started weight lifting! So I think now i'm going to have to work twice as hard to dump these 27 lbs! But we know it's doable!
Becca12291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/216/135

Hi- i just joined this site too- it's always better to go at a weight loss program when you have people who understand what your going through. I never got injured, but understand how depression can lead to eating- and then eating seems to be your best friend. It's also pretty intimidating to start trying to lose weight when someone so close to you has been doing it longer, and lets face it- guys seem to be able to morph their bodies a lot faster than girls can. I hit my highest weight at 286- and actually hit 214 last friday, although i've lost more than 70lbs i know i have a lot longer to go- but just know that it takes time- and it does get frustrating, but eventually you learn to love the 'healthy' lifestyle, you actually like your body- get impressed with what it can do and just exactly what your capable of.
Martina86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC!

There's always room for one more! You are not alone!

There are people from all different walks of life who come to 3FC, people using different methods, people with different amounts of weight to lose... but we all have one binding thing in common. We want to see everyone be healthier and lose weight (including ourselves).

You will find amazing support here. Interesting ideas. And lots of different ways to go about making changes and keeping at it. There are challenges and different areas depending on interests, things in common like age and weight needed to be lost, and even obstacles that we face every day.

You're already familiar with forums, so don't hesitate to post wherever you're comfortable. To join in and participate.

Can't wait to get to know you better on your journey! Best of wishes ^^
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #6  
Working hard

S/C/G: 280/272/250

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to you all! You have come to the right place! This place is full of support for just about every type of situation you can think of. It has really helped me to get through this 3 week, because it gives you that extra outlet instead of just turning to food. I wish you all luck and look forward to reading your success stories!
jenfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #7  
Have a blast while u last

Height: 5'2

Welcome!
Facetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #8  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

welcome! your story brings about some of the reasons i gained weight as well. usually depression. job loss, pregnancy. we can do this we have control not the food ^^
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #9  
There is no spoon.

S/C/G: 278 / sig / 150

Hi guys! I'm new too, and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to keep myself motivated.

I'm 31 and was overweight since age 14. At 26, I felt miserable at 278.

I went from 278 to 174 up to 198 and now I'm at 194. I yo-yo'd a few times on the way down, and the fact that I did it again makes me furious with myself. I came on here to try to set up a better support system, so I can face this with more strength. I'm so happy to meet other people in the same struggle!

Depression and anxiety were a significant factor in my weight too. I feel so SO much better - not just physically, but also psychologically - than I did when I weighed over 250. It's not just because of self esteem, I'm certain that there's something physiologically different. I haven't gotten far enough in school to know enough about neurotransmitters yet tho

But I do know that both effect the other. Work on overcoming your depression with counseling or cognitive therapy, and you'll help your weight loss. Lose weight, and you'll help your depression through self confidence, discipline, and at least the circulating endorphins of physical activity!

I recently discovered that if I bring a book that I'm engrossed in to the gym, I can go for a LONG time on the elliptical without feeling the "ughhh I'm sick of exercising!" feeling that usually kicks in after 10 mins or so. I've elliptical-jogged for an hour several times this week, and it was easy because I didn't want to put the book down. It's better than magazines, which are easy to put down after an article. And it seems to be better than TV. Maybe it's because reading takes more focus than TV, and therefore I am much less focused on the time that passes. And there aren't commercials XD

Last edited by Sakurai; 06-05-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Sakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/264/160

Height: 5'5"

Hi! New here too! Sounds like you have been through a lot! Good luck to you!
Jenmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: H~285... 260/ticker/155

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!
Beka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #12  
300+ Chick

Welcome! Good luck with your efforts!! YOU can do it!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote