Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 141/124/120?

Height: 5'7"

Default Faster heart beat in Phases 1 and 2? Weight gain in Phase 3?

Hi! I'm in Phase 2, am happy with my current weight and measurements, but would like to lose maybe 4 more pounds to offset the weight gain in Phase 3. However, I'm thinking of moving on to Phase 3 ASAP because of some problems I'm having....

I've experienced what seems to be a faster heart beat during Phases 1 and 2. I've noticed it mostly when I'm in the shower - it feels like my heart is going to pound out of my chest. I've also sometimes noticed it at other odd times. These events have been infrequent, but enough to get my attention. Also, please note that I normally can feel my heart beating in my chest anyway, but only if I sit quietly. During these "events," the sensation of my heart beating in my chest/neck has been much more noticeable to me.

I'm thinking my potassium may be low, since these occurrences have happened either in the morning, before I've eaten, or if I've gone for too long without eating. My heart rate at these times is definitely faster than my normal resting heart rate of about 60. I've clocked it at 90 during one of these times when I was just sitting in a meeting. I've also been very good about getting my 8 glasses of water each day.

I'm planning on moving to Phase 3 tomorrow, as these isolated occurrences have made me nervous, and not being able to exercise vigorously on this diet is interfering with my life (I want to train up for surf camp).

So, two questions, which I pose here because my coach is pretty useless:
1) Has anyone experienced this heart rate problem? Did you take an extra potassium pill? Did it subside during Phase 3?

2) During Phase 3, did you gain weight and if you did, did you also gain inches? Ideally, I would lose about 4 more pounds to offset the Phase 3 weight gain, but I really need to get off this diet. Will I look fatter in Phase 3?

Thanks!
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #2  
i love weight loss

S/C/G: 370/261.4/180

Height: 5'5

this is just my opinion.

i have had panic attacks and anziety for over a year now. what you are experiencing sounds like a panic attack to me. i would go see your family doctor and see what they say. they have some wonderful meds that they give you for panic attacks that work so good. (you may not even realize that's what you are having. i didn't at first either)
i have not heard of this happening on ip. sorry and hope you don't mind my advice.
krisbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #3  

Hi, Krisbelle. Thanks for your post. 1 year ago, I did have what I believe was a panic attack. My heart started racing and my hands started tingling and I thought I was having a heart attack or something. I called the ambulance and went to the ER. Everything checked out okay, though. Just to be safe, I went to a cardiologist and wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours. I also underwent a stress test. My heart checked out as perfectly normal.

So, I do wonder if these are mini-panic attacks. I have no tingling in my hands, though, and don't feel panicky. I just feel my heart racing, and all of this started when I got on the IP diet.

Anyway, I am going to phase out of the diet and see if these events stop.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #4  

Kirsbelle, I forgot to mention.....congrats on your incredible weight loss! I am humbled and impressed. It's been hard enough for me to lose 17 lbs!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #5  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

i haven't experienced the experienced the heart beat issue, but I am in Phase III I have 3 more days left and I was one of the people that did gain wieght in phase III. However, I have continued to lose inches, now when I say inches I mean 1/2 inch off my thorax, and a 1/4 inch off my thigh, and 1/2 inch off my calf. My coach says most people have lost on phase three at her clinic, but I was a steady looser for almost 8 months straight so I can't complain.

I do know that when you lose weight fast you are still producing a higher volume of blood then your body needs, once your body realizes it doesn't have to make so much blood it sheds blood vessels and the heart doesn't have to work as hard to pumb blood to the body. I don't know if any of what I said is of any use but that is what I have learned in my anatomy classes.

Good Luck.

Last edited by ginBAM; 05-18-2011 at 02:31 PM.
ginBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #6  
i love weight loss

S/C/G: 370/261.4/180

Height: 5'5

thanks so much.
and good luck with what ever you decide to do.
krisbelle is offline   Reply With Quote