Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 10:30 PM   #1  

Default Trying to get started again

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I need help. Over the past few years I've lost about 60 lbs., regained about 30 and lost them again. I've been trying to maintain my latest loss for more than two years, but lately it seems harder and harder. I'm almost scared of my body because I feel it's betraying me. (I have at least another 25 to lose...maybe 35, because I know I've gained weight these past few months and it would sicken me to get on a scale).

I need a fast success to get me going again, but even more importantly, I have a need to understand how I can re-commit myself or at least be able to do what I was doing with more intensity.

Would appreciate hearing from someone out there.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:37 PM   #2  
ebe
noob

well
what are you doing now as far as exercise?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:18 AM   #3  

I've been trying to either walk my treadmill for 1/2 hour a day, six days a week (up from 2-3 days a week). I've also started to use my Nordic Track again, but I find it hard to stay on it more than 10-15 minutes. Part of the problem is boredom, even though I listen to music or watch TV while doing the exercises. I also go to the Y to use the elliptical machine for 30 minutes (I used to be able to do 40-45), but I haven't been going as much since the weather is horrendous lately and I don't want to drive when the roads are slippery. I'm also incorporating some weight training.

I would like to do more, but I work full time and then take care of my share of the household chores. I do my exercise in the morning before work mostly. Getting enough sleep has also been a problem. I wake up frequently at night, so getting up even earlier to do more has been difficult. I never wake up refreshed nor do I feel I have more energy because of exercise. (All I have is more stamina to do more laundry! LOL!) This is where the commitment/motivation wall pops up. (If you look at the time, you'll see I'm writing this after midnight because I can't even fall asleep.)

I'm open to suggestions. I know a lot is easier said than done, but I'm desperate.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:10 PM   #4  
ebe
noob

hrmm
i'm no expert but cutting back on white carbs like flour and excess sugar etc and increasing protein intake usually makes most peoples bodies respond quickly.
also setting a non weight related goal might help, like a fitness goal. this has really helped for me, both now and in the past. maybe cut back on carbs slightly - i don't know what you eat or if you already do that and with a treadmill you can really do lots of things, although it sounds like you are on a pretty tight schedule, you can do it. i read an interesting article about president bush running....apparently hes very into fitness and runs for 60 - 90 minutes a day. if he can do it, anyone can right? easier said than done, i know....lol

for sleep have you tried taking melatonin? my mother swears by it and she has trouble sleeping very often...just thought i would throw that in there.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:04 PM   #5  

Hi, Ebe -- Thanks for the tips. My biggest frustration is not being able to run. I've been trying for more than a year and the best I can do is a block to a block and a half before my lungs go. I can't recover well enough in a few blocks to try again.

I don't know what your politics are, so I'm not going to comment much on Mr. Bush. However, if I could get away with just flapping my lips and delegating the majority of my work to a staff of hundreds, I, too, could get in a few miles each day. (BTW -- He wants us all fit so that we won't have to spend as much time shaping up in Boot Camp when we go to war. Oops, I'm getting political. Sorry.)
Old 01-04-2003, 10:36 PM   #6  
ebe
noob

err well anyway
this website is pretty inspiring http://www.leanandstrong.com/

good luck
Closed Thread