Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/242/150

Height: 5'1

Default Peanut Butter Craving

This is really strange, I am craving peanut butter. Not just a little craving but the type that wakes you up in the night to go for a spoonful.

So, there I am standing in the dark kitchen sucking PB from a spoon. Trying to think why I have been craving for the last week. No, I am not pregnant, if I am look for a star in the east and call the Enquirer lol.

Could it be that I am lacking protein? How many grams of protien should I have a day? Is there any site that could tell me?

I have basically stalled due to this. I need to get back on track.
IAteIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I have read that 46 grams of protein is the minimum requirement for women, but that it's possible that those who workout need more in order to build muscle. How many grams are you consuming now? Are you taking a multivitamin? Are you eating too little fat? Maybe your body is craving some fat? Do you take fish oil as a supplement as well? I hope you figure it out.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #3  

ohh I never thought about fat. I do take a multi vitamin daily, also omega three fish oil capsule occasionally. I will try stepping up on those. I am getting between 33 and 40 grams of protein a day right now.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

I get that same craving sometimes. I keep PB2 from bell plantation around for those emergencies as it has a lot less fat & calories.
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I would try getting more protein.

fish, eggs, nuts (almonds are my fav) etc
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #6  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I track my foods at livestrong so that I can see my percentages. It automatically adjusts your daily recommendation to your calorie goal so that you can know at a glance what you're lacking or going over on. Best site ever for tracking IMO.

I agree that it might be oils/fats you are craving, but 3 fish oil caps a day is pretty good already. Maybe because it is in pill form rather than in your food you aren't getting that satiated signal?

Most of my cravings have to do with taste and taste alone, a matter of wanting things I usually have and have been restricting. Peanut butter is one of those distinctive, strong flavors you can't really get anywhere else....unfortunately I love it too but can't have it often since it is so calorie dense. Did you eat alot of peanut butter before you started dieting maybe?
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #7  

I like PB, sort of...I mean I have never turned down a reeses PB cup but the same jar of PB has been in the cupboard over 6 months. That is what is surprising to me. It isn't something that I would normally eat on a daily bases.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

If you like PB, then have PB. I only eat natural PB (Smuckers Natural is my PB of choice, there is only peanuts and salt in it.) It's 200 calories per 2 tablespoons, but I have found that is way more than I need for any given item. For instance, I LOVE PB toast. I only need about 2 tsps of PB for this (66 cals) or PB Oatmeal (oatmeal mixed with 1 tbsp PB and 1 packet Splenda.) If there is something that I love, I just find the healthiest way to have it. I have also realized that "serving sizes" listed on packages aren't completely ridiculous. I always thought they were extremely low, but since I started measuring things, I realized that the "serving size" is more than I actually need with a lot of stuff.

I also agree that your protein may be low. From what I have read, the "recommended amount" is a really low-balled number. I generally get 100-120g per day (I consume 1300-1600 cals per day.) I believe that I read somewhere (on Livestrong i think) that you should have between .5g-1g of protein per lb of body weight per day.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Another note - I watched my food intake pretty strictly over a years time. One thing that I completely cut out was french fries (I would get a side salad instead). I cut them out for 2 reasons, I wasn't eating white potatoes or fried foods. Well in March of this year (after I had been dieting for a full year) I had HORRIBLE cravings for french fries. I craved them all the time for about a month. I think it was because I had deprived myself of them for so long. So I allowed myself to indulge occassionally and now the cravings are completely gone.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I aim for 25% calories from protein. I am at 1300 cals currently, so at 4 cals/g that's in the low 80s. Sometimes though, we just crave what is off limits! I have pb a few times a week, planned into my calories. One tbsp is plenty (95 cals in the brand I use)
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I have to wonder what kind of peanut butter do you eat? Is it a popular brand like Skippy or Jiff? If so, check out the ingredient list...the second ingredient in it is sugar. I was craving PB like mad...until I realized it was the sugar I was really jonesing for. I got rid of the cheap-o PB and replaced it with all natural and I don't crave it anymore. Damn sugar.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

Default type of PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I have to wonder what kind of peanut butter do you eat? Is it a popular brand like Skippy or Jiff? If so, check out the ingredient list...the second ingredient in it is sugar. I was craving PB like mad...until I realized it was the sugar I was really jonesing for. I got rid of the cheap-o PB and replaced it with all natural and I don't crave it anymore. Damn sugar.
I agree with Lori! There isn't as much protein in PB as most people think there is (you'd be better off having a few bites of chicken breast instead) - what you probably want is the sugar in it. I'd try switching to the organic kind, without added sugar or hydrogenated oils. It's healthier for you, but on the downside it does NOT taste as good. But, that might end your cravings too! Ended mine.
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthy07 View Post
I'd try switching to the organic kind, without added sugar or hydrogenated oils. It's healthier for you, but on the downside it does NOT taste as good. But, that might end your cravings too! Ended mine.
It wasn't until I bought a jar of natural PB that I started really wanting peanut butter. That stuff is way too good, much better tasting than JIF. But it surely could be fulfilling a sugar craving and switching to a PB that contains only peanuts and salt may kill the craving. I think if there were anything in the house that caused me to get out of bed and eat, I would probably ban that food from the house for awhile.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I tried this but I still binge ate the whole jar. Some people just can't handle nuts. I'm one of them.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #15  

Skippy low fat PB...bet it is the sugar. I have to keep PB in the house as I have a daughter who eats it. Sugar is a good bet as I have cut down my intake drastically. Hangs head in shame, used to drink 8 cups of coffee a day with 2 1/2 tsp of sugar in each and other high sugar foods.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas and help. Wow, what a great community.