Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #1  

Default KFC Grilled Chicken

I searched this in the forum, but maybe I am not asking the right question, so I'll ask here: Is KFC Grilled Chicken good for the lean of Lean and Green, or is the marinade a deal breaker?
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 281/256/160

Height: 5'5

I used to work for KFC, their food cooked in nothing but grease and junk. I would say anything from that place isn't good for you except their salads haha. All of their foods are processed and unhealthy
Michelle1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

They use MSG in the marinade, which would take it off the list for me personally. But if you had no other choice available, it probably would be OK. I'd look for other options, though--deli chicken, cooking up a bunch of breast cutlets ahead of time, etc.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/178/150

One KFC Grilled Chicken Breast (123g/4.3 oz)
Calories 210 Sodium 460 mg
Total Fat 8 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 3 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 34 g
Cholesterol 105 mg

Compare to:
Grilled skinless boneless chicken breast (generic) 4oz
Calories 135 Sodium 72 mg
Total Fat 4 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 26 g
Cholesterol 72 mg

What this means:
If you're at an event where that's all there is, then I'd settle for one KFC grilled breast and I'd probably not gain weight that day. However, if I would NOT make meals around it. There's lots of both fat and salt in the marinade. While it's better than fried chicken, it's still not a good candidate for a lean and green meal.

What you'll find after staying on the diet for as little as two weeks is that your taste buds change. You don't actually need as much salt and fat, and you will taste it when there's too much. Anything with more than around 370 mg of sodium or so tastes really salty to me.

Salt locks up water which makes you gain weight. It also makes you hungrier or munchier (want to eat even when not hungry.) That's why it's a key ingredient in snack foods. They want you to eat more, not feel satisfied.

Also note that the extra fat is mostly saturated fat (the artery-clogging kind.) Again, it won't be a problem in a one-time event, but I would recommend keeping it out of your regular L&G meals. Eating this also means that you don't get to add your extra fat (aka salad dressing or oils) to your salad.

Last edited by Sequi 2008; 05-09-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Sequi 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #5  

Thanks, guys. I wasn't looking at it as a permanent option. The family had KFC for Mother's Day and brought the grilled as well as the fried for dinner. I was already eating my MSF Grillers Crumbles with green chile, scallions and low-fat cheddar, and pretty full, so no worries. I know fast food is pretty much flavored salt.
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #6  

Yes it's fine, just don't do it everyday - I've had to do it a few times myself and does not impact my weight loss.
ubskinnyagain75 is offline   Reply With Quote