Weight Loss Surgery - Limits after WLS?

View Full Version : Limits after WLS?

retrogirl
05-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Ok so I'm on the road to getting bypass, and have researched for over a year. I just have some little questions nagging...

How do people find exercise after? I mean are there any physical activities you should avoid? Say if I was to take up a kickboxing class (potential punching in the stomach...not hard, but maybe?), or say rock climbing? Would the stress on my core damage me in anyway.
Obviously not right after the operation. ;)

Are there any limits to physical activity after bypass? I just have a fear of playing sports, and damaging/tearing something.

Off topic question - would it be advisable to get a medic alert bracelet?

jiffypop
05-06-2011, 12:42 AM
once you're healed, you can do what you want. obviously nobody EVER wants to be punched hard, but as far as i know, you'll be good to go. just use some common sense - don't push yourself to the point of serious pain or injury

as for medic alert bracelets, some folks get them to notify others to NOT scope blindly. i don't have one.

missangelaks
05-06-2011, 04:32 AM
I have done kickboxing, rock climbing, Aikido (a martial art that requires a lot of rolling), hiking, biking, running, sports of all kinds (I work with kids), belly dance and country dance until I am a sweaty mess!!! AND I love it all!

My only problem is potassium deficiencies if I sweat too much, so I keep supplements around and drink 1/2 gator aid, 1/2 water (too much straight G and I will still dump) or G2 and I'm good to go!

I have more energy than I ever have!! hehehe

Go for it honey!

Angela

Soon2beSEXY
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
My cousin has done boxing exercises after 1 year of bypass. He made sure first that he is totally healed. So I suggest you talk to your doctor after bypass and ask when can you do kickboxing or the like.

@ missangelaks: bananas are a good source of potassium. is it true that we need at least 1 banana a day?

retrogirl
05-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Great! It's funny, my husband had his gall bladder taken out by the same head of laproscopy that oversees bypass. I've seen his 'work' and I kinda know how rough the first few days are. But the pain, etc didn't worry me as much as wondering if I would be hindered with my new "life". hehe.
Good to know! Thanks all! I'll keep this place posted on my journey!

missangelaks
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Please do let us know! It was great to have this support when I was going to to do this and afterward!

Good luck, honey!!

Angela

jillybean720
05-08-2011, 10:07 PM
@ missangelaks: bananas are a good source of potassium. is it true that we need at least 1 banana a day?
If you have a potassium issue, I would look into supplementation. Bananas are very high in sugar.

dakiniverona
05-22-2011, 01:01 PM
the only limits I had after my WLS in 1999 were food related. As long as I healed I was able to do anything I did before and more... once the excess weight is off you will find yourself wanting to be more active.