Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #1  
Awesome Member

S/C/G: 233/214/???

Height: 5 foot 4.75 inches

Default The Protein Taste?

What is the taste that every packet has? I'm assuming it's the protein product? How can it best be masked? It is that specific taste that makes me so nauseous. I need it to go away! Is anybody else bothered by it?
snowclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

Probably the protein, yes. Even the things that taste great at first (bars) leave the protein aftertaste. I don't mind it as much as you seem to, but I chase everything with the gallons of water I drink daily. I find that some products (soups) leave not only an aftertaste, but make my mouth feel coated (eww). Mouthwash works for that
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #3  
Awesome Member

I'll try to up the water. I'm force feeding myself the jello right now and trying not to focus on the taste at all. I have never been a picky eater before. Something about these packets just triggered my inner ninny-stomach!

ETA Taking the jello like jello shots is making it easier!

Last edited by snowclover; 04-28-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 5"

LOL Whatever works!
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #5  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Most likely you are tasting the sugar substitute....I don't like it. The omelet is my favorite because it is not in it....also the soy puffs or nuts
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #6  
Awesome Member

Thanks Darbs7. What other products don't have the sugar substitute in them?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #7  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowclover View Post
Thanks Darbs7. What other products don't have the sugar substitute in them?
for non-restricted...not too many...but I thought the mildest was the chocolate shake and the pomergrate blueberry drink. The soups and the omelet for non-restricted do not have any sugar substitute.

I also like the vanilla RTD in my coffee or tea....very yummy and I don't notice the sugar substitute at all...that is how I get through them.

I eat an omelet every day for breakfast and a vanilla RTD with coffee/tea and then I love the carmel nut bar and the soy treats
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192.2/170/150

Height: 5'3''

I was having the exact same problem. Everything I tried tasted so nasty. I actually threw up in my mouth trying to force down the oastmeal and the mushroom soup didn't even make it to swallow.

What I eat now is very repetative but I can swallow it. I use the fruit drink packets (orange pineapple, cranberry, mango) and add 24 oz instead of the usual 8 oz. The extra water dilutes the protien taste and also helps me get all my water quota. I do like the chicken soup too. Again. Use at least and full cup of water. My coach uses some Proti product, not sure if your does but you can buy online. The chocolate, mocha, and vanilla wafer bars are amazing! I eat 1 a days as my night time snack. It is a restricted item.

What NOT to eat.
Anything that they are trying to make "creamy". YUCK!!!
Lemonade - will not mix up very well and always has chunks up the protien
pudding and soy puffs (I've only tried the choc and bbq) very strong after taste.

Hope this list helps. Try to find at least 3 things you can eat and stick to it. It's so worth it. I've lost 18+lbs in 5 Weeks!!

Good Luck
angelonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I had a similar reaction at first. I've gotten used to them though and have my favourites. I found that weird protein taste to be too strong in the soups and the artificial sweetener too strong in some of the drinks but I don't have any issue with the omelet, soy puffs, lemon bars, pom drink or chocolate drink.
I'm used to taking a protein supplement but artificial sweeteners are a new concept for me and hard for me to get used to at first but hardly notice them now.
Hang in there and find your favourites
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/158/140

Height: 5'4"

Default I can't handle the Soy Protein products!!

I totally agree!!! I have discovered that I CANNOT handle the products that have soy protein in them......I just hate the taste that comes from that added soy protein. However, the products that have the whey protein I'm finding I actually like. The puddings and the orange drink are really good. I tweak them a little by adding vanilla. I also like to add cinnamon to the vanilla pudding plus some ice and mix it in my Magic Bullet. I also LOVE the Carmel Nut bar. I know some people say they can taste the artificial sweetner but I don't taste it. It's probably my favorite item so far.
sadlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlo View Post
I totally agree!!! I have discovered that I CANNOT handle the products that have soy protein in them......I just hate the taste that comes from that added soy protein. However, the products that have the whey protein I'm finding I actually like. The puddings and the orange drink are really good. I tweak them a little by adding vanilla. I also like to add cinnamon to the vanilla pudding plus some ice and mix it in my Magic Bullet. I also LOVE the Carmel Nut bar. I know some people say they can taste the artificial sweetner but I don't taste it. It's probably my favorite item so far.
Any suggestions for the Chicken soup?? I added lots of spices, like onion and curry powders, but I just can't take the taste.
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #12  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebeth7 View Post
Any suggestions for the Chicken soup?? I added lots of spices, like onion and curry powders, but I just can't take the taste.
Ugh! can't even smell the chicken soup!I can't eat the mushroom soup either -- I eat the spagetti but I add more water and make it as soup and add broccoli and salt, it tastes good.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #13  
Started IP 9/1/10

S/C/G: 240/215/pregnant

Height: 5'8"

@ jello-shots....Ha!!!!
wyoangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 152.4/138/125.5

Height: 5'4-1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebeth7 View Post
I like both the chicken and the tomato basil soups. I add Johnny's seasoning salt (it's 0-0-0), onion and/or garlic powder and usually some lightly sauteed vegetables to them. I like green onions and mushrooms and sometimes grate up cauliflower into the tomato basil soup for a rice-like additive. Overcooking the soups makes them disgusting. The proteins separate out and get chunky, not good! I microwave them between 1 to 1-1/2 minutes.
lindacraig63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/158/140

Height: 5'4"

I think the Chicken Soup is just AWFUL!!! The protein taste is horrible with that one and there is no way to cover it up. To boot, I feel like it was so clumpy. YUCK!
sadlo is offline   Reply With Quote