General chatter - Live or Taped Are You going to Watch the Royal Wedding?

DixC Chix
04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll be tuned in to CNN and BBCA on Friday 4/29 to watch.

How about you?

ILRPinkGirl
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Funny enough, I'm actually maid of honor in my best friend's wedding on Saturday, so I'll probably be busy with the dress rehearsal and getting manicures with the other bridesmaids. But we do keep joking that the royal wedding is just a warm-up for my friend's, and that it's so nice CNN is doing a countdown to my friend's wedding, lol! But I'm sure I'll catch some of the highlights once I get back home on Sunday.

shoeluver67
04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
yeah, i'm gonna watch it. i watched when i was in high school when his mother got married...so i will watch this too. i'm actually looking forward to it...kind of fairy tale escape-ism.

gerly1
04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I am watching! I am looking forward to the escape to fairy tale romance too!:D

lauralyn
04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
I am probably one of the few people who have absolutely no interest in this wedding.

eclipse
04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm not watching.

milmin2043
04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
You bet I'll be watching. I have actually been having dreams about it lately. I have been so into watching BBC to see any little tidbit about the wedding, that every time someone opens their mouth to speak, my first thought is "why don't they have an English accent"!! LOL

I can't wait. Fairy tale escapism, knight in shining armor, all of that for me. Since I was a little girl I imagined that a Prince would come and carry me off and marry me.

iHeartU
04-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Lauralyn, there needs to be a LIKE button on this forum.lol Sorry, but, to me, they're just another couple getting married. It's sweet and it's romantic but no more important to me than some unknown couple in Kansas getting married.

Ookpik
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
^^^ Same with me. I have no interest either.

beerab
04-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I am probably one of the few people who have absolutely no interest in this wedding.

Ug thank God I'm not the only one- seriously I don't see the big deal! I mean yay great the Prince is getting married, yay have a big to do, but why on earth am I reminded of it on a constant basis?!

MrsMomOrtiz
04-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, no. By choice we do not have cable. BUT...we DO have internet (obviously) so I WILL be looking at the millions of photos that I'm sure will be posted seconds after they're taken! hahaha Definitely a 'don't want to miss' occasion!

VegDay
04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I will watch. But not live. Won't be able to. I watched Diana and Charles' wedding too. I'm most interested in seeing the dress.

Clydegirl
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not getting up to watch it "live" but I will watch some of it later.

It's going to be on all the networks.

dcapulet
04-25-2011, 10:33 PM

1/2, at least :)

nelie
04-25-2011, 10:38 PM

I'm not sure who is getting married? Watching a wedding doesn't rate high with me.

bargoo
04-25-2011, 10:56 PM
I will watch. I like to see how the rich and royal do these things.

shcirerf
04-25-2011, 11:12 PM
I have this thing, called a JOB, which cuts into my day, so I will not be watching. I'm not going to tape it either.

Personally, I think the world should let them alone so they can get married in peace, like the rest of us. With friends and family, sans security and the paparazzi!

midwife
04-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I have this thing, called a JOB, which cuts into my day, so I will not be watching. I'm not going to tape it either.

Personally, I think the world should let them alone so they can get married in peace, like the rest of us. With friends and family, sans security and the paparazzi!

Yup, sleep and work come first. But I hope those who watch have an enjoyable time with it.

shcirerf
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I won't have the time to watch, my problem. I wish them well, but in all reality, I would not want to be in their shoes. Getting married should be shared with friends and family. Not the world and the press and the security.

Since I have this Saturday off, I will catch the headlines on the news, Saturday morning. But beyond that, I wish them well, and a long and happy life.

My wish for them is that 50 years from now, they can totter out to the sun room, with their tea, and sit down and look back, and say, life is and was good, and I love you!

lizziep
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
not only am i not that interested- i really don't understand why everyone IS interested. i wasn't as interested in my own wedding as some people seem to be in this one. haha.
i'm sure i'll enjoy looking at pictures of the dress and cake and stuff though.

my work is throwing a silly little party for it, which i think is hilarious but also kinda awesome. we are being encouraged to dress up and having a tea party. hahaha.

milmin2043
04-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Maybe just me taking it the wrong way, but I kind of resent the implication that someone who might be watching doesn't have a job.

NiteNicole
04-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I will be interested in the clothes and hats (oh, the hats! Not enough hats here in the US) but as for the wedding...I find weddings boring when I know the couple and can expect cake so no, not watching.

helwa588
04-26-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm excited because after Friday I won't have to hear about this royal wedding stuff anymore. Every time I turn on the news they cannot go 20 mins without mentioning William and Kate. Me and my family vowed not to turn on the tv Friday because of the non stop coverage that TV channels will be showing. Even E! said they will have all day coverage. So me and my family just plan to watch a bunch of DVD's that day.

serendipity907
04-26-2011, 07:53 AM
It doesn't interest me.

aphil
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Nope, I don't give a hoot, either.

I'm not sure who is getting married? Watching a wedding doesn't rate high with me.

I know Diana's son, the prince is getting married...but that is all I know. I have no idea who the bride is, or what family she is from...she could be a potato farmer for all I know. I only know she is a brunette because of their photos all over the magazines this past week while I was in line at the store. I don't even know if it is the older or younger son...because, honestly, at this point I am still scratching my head on WHY there is still a royal family if they are only figureheads? :?:

cottagebythesea
04-26-2011, 08:51 AM
I have Fridays off, and I'm looking forward to watching it.

I'd much rather be hearing about the wedding than listening to all the bad stuff that's going on in the world today. This is happy stuff, for a welcome change.

serendipity907
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't even know if it is the older or younger son...because, honestly, at this point I am still scratching my head on WHY there is still a royal family if they are only figureheads? :?:

Here it's just nice to have them as it's kind of tradition, I don't know much about them nor am I very interested but it does bring benefits for the country.
They do a lot of charity work, bring in tourism and give us places like Buckingham Palace etc to look at.
I don't know anyone who is complaining about the national holiday either, aside from some employers hehe. :p

Ruthxxx
04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I am Canadian although not a militant royalist and will be watching it. I listened to the Queen's wedding when she and Phil tied the knot, watched Charles and Diana's event and will watch this one. He is the future King if the monarchy survives that long. This is history.

The elegant Chateau Laurier in Ottawa is having a British High Tea at 4 a.m. this Friday. I plan to skip it but may wear my least tatty robe when I watch it and maybe have tea instead of coffee for a change.

midwife
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Maybe just me taking it the wrong way, but I kind of resent the implication that someone who might be watching doesn't have a job.

I wasn't implying that at all. Everyone has different sleep/work hours. Mine happen to conflict with watching the wedding this week. Another week they might not.

MiZTaCCen
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
I have no interest in it. I wish they'd hurry up and get married so I can stop hearing about it to be honest. I'm sure it'll be sweet and whatever but I have no desire to waste my time watching it. Beside I work that day and maybe if nothing else was on while I played on my computer. If I was home, but meh.

ANOther
04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
If I wake up for a comfort stop around 4 am CT, I'll flip on the TV set in my room on the way back and kind of hear the live 'cast out of the corner of my ear. PBS, or at least our local PBS station, will repeat the coverage later in the evening and I can watch it in detail then. I'm no monarchist, nor am I an anti-monarchist, but what the heck, it's fun. One thing that bugs me though, is whenever TV announcers feel they have to tack the adjective "royal" onto every. freakin'. thing. that applies to Prince William (or whatever other royal is in the spotlight at any particular moment): surely there are SOME things royal folk do or have that are no different than what joe sixpack at the pub does or has in the same circumstances?

Scarlett
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
I will be watching, but I'm unemployed and waiting on some applications to go through to internship programs (about 2 weeks). If I was busier I wouldn't watch. I'll probably have my laptop out and only be passively watching.

I'm also sick of the coverage and glad it will be over soon.

I have a hard time buying into the whole "fairy tale love story" the press is trying to sell. They were together for 9 years, they lived together and broke up once. This doesn't scream the love of his life he can't let get away. I do realize noone knows what goes on in a relationship and you can't judge. It will still be fun to see.

froggydawgy
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
We were in England leading up to Charles and Diana's wedding. When we got home I got up at 2am to watch it. I'll watch it when it is on but making no arrangements. Most interesting thing to watch - what does The Dress look like?!

beerab
04-26-2011, 01:30 PM
lol but after the wedding it won't be over. Then it'll be all about the honeymoon, then their first home, then their first kid, then blah blah blah! *dies*

I agree I'd hate to live my life where my every move is monitored! I mean don't get me wrong I'm sure their life is pretty nice but more power to them for being able to handle that!

JoJoJo2
04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I'll watch it. After all, it's history. The Brits do this sort of thing, the pomp and ceremony, so well. All the hoop-la and traditions are very interesting to me, and I certainly wish the young couple well.

mom4life
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Nope, It's by choice. I'd rather not watch it. Glad I'm not the only one. I know it would bore my kids (and hubby) to tears if I had it on that anyways. ;)

Chubbykins
04-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I think it is lovely how the british have and like their royal family.
It is not like they are some kind of medieval tyrants, just rich people involved in politics. They give British politics a human face and a sureal example also.
It would bore me to death if all countries had the same traditions.
Since they don't hurt anyone let them be. :p

FrouFrou
04-29-2011, 02:20 AM
I will be watching, I hope. Not going to be live because I won't get up that early but hoping to see it later if they show it again, which I am sure they will, if not oh well.

canadianwoman
04-29-2011, 09:20 AM
I think it is lovely how the british have and like their royal family.
It is not like they are some kind of medieval tyrants, just rich people involved in politics. They give British politics a human face and a sureal example also.
It would bore me to death if all countries had the same traditions.
Since they don't hurt anyone let them be. :p

I agree. I am watching on the internet. Just waiting for the balcony kiss.

Ruthxxx
04-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Just saw the kiss. Our power was out last night but was back this morning. I would have been extremely PO'd if I missed watching it live. The dress is very lovely, not a cream puff extravaganza, just something simple and graceful.

RJR
04-29-2011, 09:41 AM
The dress was wonderful.

Clydegirl
04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I watched it.

Love all the splendour.

Tomato
04-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I saw quite a bit, actually, everything up to "The Kiss" (then I had to go to work). I woke at 4 a.m and I could not sleep, so I got up after 5 a.m. (ET), made myself a keg of coffee and watched.
I was disappointed by the dress. It was ok from the waist up but I didn't like the too pouffy skirt. I actually hoped she would show up in something more modern and sleek (I LOVED Pippa's dress, except for the crumb catcher thing). I forgot how stuffy the British monarchy is and that a sleeveless dress would be a major faux pas (actually, good for her to have at least the lace on, it didn't look like it was very warm in London today and unless they have some sort of heating in the cathedral, it is even chillier than outside).

I had fun laughing at almost every single [caricature] of a hat (and there were many!).

ANOther
04-29-2011, 01:36 PM
I forgot how stuffy the British monarchy is and that a sleeveless dress would be a major faux pas

Not too surprised about that. I know bridal-fashion magazines, the Today show's annual wedding feature etc. always feature sleeveless or spaghetti-strap gowns; those weddings always take place in secular venues and maybe some liberal churches would allow them but I have to figure more conservative churches would insist on at least some amount of sleeve and a modest neck- and backline (whenever my mom sees the Today-show wedding gowns, which are invariably sleeveless or with straps, she's always like "the Catholic church would NEVER allow a gown like that in a million years". Of course, in 1949 she didn't even have a gown, just a plain dressy-dress she could wear again and she doesn't see the point of investing a zillion $ in a dress to be worn only once and you're still paying off the bills from the wedding when the marriage hits the rocks ...)

bargoo
04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I loved the dress. Simple and elegant. Here in the US strapless dress are popular but they don't look good on everybody.

JoJoJo2
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
I watched it. I loved the dress, so elegant. I enjoyed seeing all the pomp and ceremony. I wish the young couple well.

josey
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I actually got up early and watched it live. Love the royal weddings!

Oh boy, now I really have to lose some weight! I want Pippa's dress!!!

bargoo
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
I actually got up early and watched it live. Love the royal weddings!

Oh boy, now I really have to lose some weight! I want Pippa's dress!!!

I want Pippa's body !

josey
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Not too surprised about that. I know bridal-fashion magazines, the Today show's annual wedding feature etc. always feature sleeveless or spaghetti-strap gowns; those weddings always take place in secular venues and maybe some liberal churches would allow them but I have to figure more conservative churches would insist on at least some amount of sleeve and a modest neck- and backline (whenever my mom sees the Today-show wedding gowns, which are invariably sleeveless or with straps, she's always like "the Catholic church would NEVER allow a gown like that in a million years". Of course, in 1949 she didn't even have a gown, just a plain dressy-dress she could wear again and she doesn't see the point of investing a zillion $ in a dress to be worn only once and you're still paying off the bills from the wedding when the marriage hits the rocks ...)

True. You aren't even be able to enter a church in e.g. Italy or Spain without clothes that at least cover your knees and shoulders. Even as a tourist, just sightseeing let alone mass.

josey
04-29-2011, 03:36 PM
I want Pippa's body !

lol

serendipity907
04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Actually ended up watching quite a bit of it with my Mum in the end.
I wasn't fond of how the bottom of the dress looked from the front, but the rest of it was quite nice.
Was really nice to see everyone come together basically, it all felt rather patriotic which is becoming a rare sight :)

VegDay
04-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I was able to watch it live until after they took their vows. Then had to go to sleep. Missed the rest. I can't decide what I thought of the dress. I know it had to meet certain criteria. I was glad the train wasn't a mile long. They both looked lovely though.

josey
04-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Great pictures on boston.com:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/04/the_royal_wedding.html

Rainbowgirl
04-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I said I wasn't going to watch it, but in the end I stayed up until 3 a.m. to catch the start. I watched it all - until 15 minutes before the balcony kiss and I fell asleep. Woke up 15 minutes later to commercials and knew I'd missed it. Was so annoyed. Fifteen lousy minutes and I couldn't keep my eyes open for it? (Mind you, that is 6 a.m. and I was already dog-tired when I got home at midnight).

Her dress? Wow. When I first saw it, all I could say was "Woa Grace Kelly!" What an absolutely -BEAUTIFUL- gown. She could not have chosen a more lovely dress.

And the trees in the Abbey? Loved them as well! And the flower girls reminded me of the ones at Diana's wedding.

All in all, it was a gorgeous ceremony and even if I had to jump onto a news site to catch the kiss, it was still pretty special.

VegDay
04-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Thank you for the link to the pictures josey!

just keep swimming
04-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I want Pippa's body !

:lol: For real, though, those Middleton sisters have got some good genes! They are gorgeous!

FrouFrou
04-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Awesome wedding! Loved the dress!

Rainbowgirl...that was my thought too and I told a couple people that the dress made me think of Grace Kelly, another classic beauty!